Skoda superb vs citigo - Waiting for the spring thaw-winter tyre experiment - Sungem
Where is my car? Said the wife. At the bottom of our road. I will get it in the spring. I had taken my skoda superb out on its budget winter tyres and initially thought they have not made much difference? It was only when i saw a mec estate gently going backwards that i changed my mind. They are really good! I then into the wife's Citigo and realized what not having winter tyres feels like. I now did the same as the Merc when trying to get back up our gently sloping road! Her car is now cafully parked behind a ford which i whope will act as a cushion should anyone fail to stop att he bottom of the hill. Wife not saying too much to me - i might have to wait for the spring thaw!

Edited by Sungem on 10/12/2017 at 11:12

Skoda superb vs citigo - Waiting for the spring thaw-winter tyre experiment - badbusdriver
Where is my car? Said the wife. At the bottom of our road. I will get it in the spring. I had taken my skoda superb out on its budget winter tyres and initially thought they have not made much difference? It was only when i saw a mec estate gently going backwards that i changed my mind. They are really good! I then into the wife's Citigo and realized what not having winter tyres feels like. I now did the same as the Merc when trying to get back up our gently sloping road! Her car is now cafully parked behind a ford which i whope will act as a cushion should anyone fail to stop att he bottom of the hill. Wife not saying too much to me - i might have to wait for the spring thaw!

Reverse it up, it will manage fine with a gentle throttle.

Skoda superb vs citigo - Waiting for the spring thaw-winter tyre experiment - Sungem
Thanks. I had not thought of that! Still I think a set of winter tyres might be in order for the wife's car too. I only got them in preparation for a road trip to Italy next March and was keen to see if they made a difference. They do.
Skoda superb vs citigo - Waiting for the spring thaw-winter tyre experiment - gordonbennet

Last time we had severe snow here only two cars could make it up the hill, one was ours (4x4 and winter tyred) and the chap who lives half way up the hill who used to reverse his 106 up the hill whilst others with FWD cars couldn't make it forwards, however he was shod on Vredestein Quadtrac all seasons which have served our family well.

Skoda superb vs citigo - Waiting for the spring thaw-winter tyre experiment - RobJP

Full, good quality winter tyres make an amazing difference. My RWD BMW estate is fitted with Pirelli Sottozero, and I live in rural North Wales, where lots of minor roads are not gritted - and we live about a mile from the nearest gritted section.