Kia/Hyundai - Shattering/exploding sunroofs - CK91437

Some owners of Kia/Hyundai have had cases where the sunroof just explodes.

And the warranty on it isn't 7 years, apparently its only 3 months.

Has anyone else had an exploding sunroof and how old was the vehicle.

Kia/Hyundai - Shattering/exploding sunroofs - Avant

Could you please come out into the open and tell us why you keep going on about Kias and Hyundais. There must be some reason.

If you tell us, you should get fewer critical comments from other members.

Kia/Hyundai - Shattering/exploding sunroofs - oldroverboy.

www.motoringbox.com/cars/your-car/6-reasons-to-avo.../

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esr...H

once bought a peugeot 407SW with a panoramic roof for such a low price (due to crack in corner of panoramic roof)and then realised why it was so cheap when i was quoted 1300 to replace the panel. I just stuck some clear silicone over the crack so it wouldnt leak and left it alone. They are brilliant though and flood the cabin with light, deffo worth the money i reckon.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 03/12/2017 at 06:14

Kia/Hyundai - Shattering/exploding sunroofs - badbusdriver

Turns out the cars in question were a special batch ordered for the American movie industry. They all had highly explosive sunroofs fitted so when the car was rolled, it would explode spectacularly.

Kia/Hyundai - Shattering/exploding sunroofs - Falkirk Bairn

In the middle of the summer the sunroof on a son's 4 series exploded - fortunately the shade was covering the inside of the car. He, & his 6 year old "got a fright".

Repairs needed included respraying the roof & boot lid - all covered by BMW warranty that was 2 weeks from expiry.

It was a common occurence, on many brands of car, as temperatures exceeded 110°F.

Kia/Hyundai - Shattering/exploding sunroofs - SLO76
In over twenty years of buying and selling cars I can’t remember a single issue with any Kia or Hyundai I’ve either sold or bought, none spring to mind from the experiences of friends or family who’ve owned them either. Reliability is generally excellent. Service and maintain them at main dealers and the warranties are excellent and goodwill up with the best.

That said, I’ve never driven one and loved it. They’re a good product but the driver appeal isn’t quite there in my opinion but they’re not far off these days. It’s certainly not a purchase of passion.

Whatever the reason for your vendetta it doesn’t compare with the experiences of the vast majority of owners but it does show why keeping a customer happy is vital as an unhappy owner will spread the word as far as they can. Often they’re justified but sometimes it’s a case of unrealistic expectation. I hope you’re not the latter.
Kia/Hyundai - Shattering/exploding sunroofs - RT

Either you're a troll - or don't realise the difference the 3,000 mile wide Atlantic Ocean makes.

Hyundai, Nissan, BMW, Kia, Mazda, Toyota and Ford have all had problems with shattering sunroofs - all cars built in the USA for the USA market only and with a high content of US-made components.

In the UK, which gets all those cars from different sources, the numbers have been small and affect all brands across the board, in addition to those listed.

The best advice for anyone concerned about shattering sunroofs is not to buy one, from ANY brand.

Edited by RT on 03/12/2017 at 08:43

Kia/Hyundai - Shattering/exploding sunroofs - Manatee

You can add Jeep to that list, a neighbour of mine is currently using a borrowed car while waiting for a replacement for the front half of his two piece glass roof that shattered for no obvious reason a couple of weeks ago.

Interesting that most seem to be made of toughened, rather than laminated, glass. Remember how the old toughened windscreens used to shatter when hit by a stone? I've never been tempted but perhaps anybody who isn't prepared to risk a breakage should avoid them.

Kia/Hyundai - Shattering/exploding sunroofs - kiss (keep it simple)

Add Audi A4 to that list. Happened to my dad's around 1998. Fixed under warranty I think.

because i saw this:

Our Kia panoramic sunroof imploded after less than two years - why does it refuse to pay under its famous seven year warranty?'

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2552135/Our-Kia-Sportage-panoramic-sunroof-imploded-two-years-ownership.html#ixzz50By6Dvos

because i saw this:

Our Kia panoramic sunroof imploded after less than two years - why does it refuse to pay under its famous seven year warranty?'

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2552135/Our-Kia-Sportage-panoramic-sunroof-imploded-two-years-ownership.html#ixzz50By6Dvos

Glass is fragile stuff - the manufacturer cannot control how/where the vehicle is driven so most glass warranty is much less than Kia's.

SoGA or CRA, depending on when they bought it, are where this couple's remedy lies - whether the claim would be accepted is another matter.

Kia/Hyundai - Shattering/exploding sunroofs - oldroverboy.

Our local Kia dealership is rapidly going downhill.. but it does not change my opinion about the car...

Nearly 2 years on the Venga has done 14000 miles without any problem except for 1 "misting" shock absorber, replaced under warranty.

I had to smile last week when i was phoned to update my details for the 5 year service pack, and the person admitted that it was known that i did not take kindly to being contacted for non essential matters.

So am i now grouchyroverboy?

Edited by oldroverboy. on 03/12/2017 at 11:21

Kia/Hyundai - Shattering/exploding sunroofs - gordonbennet
the person admitted that it was known that i did not take kindly to being contacted for non essential matters.

So am i now grouchyroverboy?

Since our local Toyota dealer changed hands i now make sure to avoid giving my details there, their work chasing method has seen me avoiding the dealership whenever possible now, i recently had my Landcruiser's fuel system and injectors diagnosed (to make sure all is well for a long life, got the all clear), one of the reasons i put it into the local Diesel shop was to avoid the inevitable bombardment of calls/texts.

Edited by gordonbennet on 03/12/2017 at 11:32

Kia/Hyundai - Shattering/exploding sunroofs - RobJP

because i saw this:

Kia state, quite clearly on their website, that cracks to glass are covered for the first 1000 miles or 3 months.

I very much doubt you will find ANY manufacturer that will warrant the glass on their cars for the standard warranty length.

Of course, the thing that rather kicks CK's wonderful 'attack kia/hyundai at every opportunity' theory is that the replies to the original report carry plenty of complaints from other make owners regarding similar occurences.

As Avant has pointed out, CK seems to have an agenda / vendetta against Kia / Hyundai.

Kia/Hyundai - Shattering/exploding sunroofs - colinh

Would you expect Kia to replace a cracked windscreen? No - it would be covered by insurance.

Kia/Hyundai - Shattering/exploding sunroofs - Bilboman

Out of curiosity - are glass sunroofs made of the same glass as the windscreen (i.e. laminated) or is toughened still the order of the day? I remember when laminated glass was a "luxury-safety" feature, along with rear seatbelts, ABS, halogen headlights, hazard warning lights and the like, which Joe Public either had to pay extra for, or else shell out for a move up to the next notch (GLS/XL/Super ) in the prevailing car hierarchy. We still seem to be in a world of safety-apartheid with runflats/full size spares, Xenons, LEDs and all the digital gizmos to help us see, get in lane, brake and apparently save the planet!

My best sunroof anecdote is when a group of friends of mine drove to a London theatre to see the Rocky Horror Picture show, five of them crammed into an Astra, all dressed like characters from the show. On returning to the car after the show, the driver realised they were locked out so he climbed onto the roof to try and prise open the sunroof. With an almighty crash he fell into the car, picked shards of glass out of his skin, retrieved the spare key and let his friends in. It had started raining and a passing bobby came upon the scene. After a brief check of paperwork he let them go on his way without further ado, not wanting to spend the rest of his career writing up the details of the five cross-dressed S&M zombies (rain-streaked makeup, fake and real blood, fishnets,...) and the world's most surreal carjacking.

Edited by Bilboman on 03/12/2017 at 13:03

Kia/Hyundai - Shattering/exploding sunroofs - madf

I don't know wht people respond to an obvious troll - and a pretty useless one at that. I would treat him with all the attention his posts deserve and leave a stony silence.

His views of cars are clearly unbalanced.

Kia/Hyundai - Shattering/exploding sunroofs - Smileyman

seems that this silence has been shattered..

(sorry!)

Kia/Hyundai - Shattering/exploding sunroofs - RobJP

Modern sunroofs are made of the same laminated glass as windscreens, so that they will break into small and (hopefully) less dangerous pieces.

Edited by RobJP on 03/12/2017 at 17:16

Kia/Hyundai - Shattering/exploding sunroofs - Manatee

Modern sunroofs are made of the same laminated glass as windscreens, so that they will break into small and (hopefully) less dangerous pieces.

Laminated glass won't break, it just cracks and stays together.

Toughened, or tempered, is the one that breaks into little cubes. Some roofs are toughened, some are laminated.

At low speeds an exploding sunroof is dangerous.

At high speeds it is extremely dangerous, as the thousands of bits of glass will be travelling at high speed and could cause very serious injuries to passengers and other road users. Possibly causing blindness.

Shouldn't this be a safety recall.

Kia/Hyundai - Shattering/exploding sunroofs - Engineer Andy

At low speeds an exploding sunroof is dangerous.

At high speeds it is extremely dangerous, as the thousands of bits of glass will be travelling at high speed and could cause very serious injuries to passengers and other road users. Possibly causing blindness.

WOW! I didn't know this. Stop the presses!

Shouldn't this be a safety recall.

The voice of reason strikes again! If only you'd also opine about other makes with the same 'level of expert knowledge' as KIAs.

Kia/Hyundai - Shattering/exploding sunroofs - galileo

A mate of mine who drove Saracen armoured cars in Ulster during the troubles has a Kia. When vandals threw a brick at it it caused a dent, this never happened to his Saracen, so this is another Kia shortcoming for CK91437 to troll about.

(He still hasn't told us which rival manufacturer pays him, by the way)

Edited by galileo on 08/12/2017 at 21:29

Kia/Hyundai - Shattering/exploding sunroofs - badbusdriver

My Mother in law's '06 kia pride HAS THE INDICATOR STALK ON THE WRONG SIDE!!!, what is going on kia?, why is this extremely dangerous situation allowed to happen?. How many people could be killed or maimed by someone turning on the wipers instead of the indicators?

Better get CK91437 on to that too, once he has dealt with the denting bodywork.

Kia/Hyundai - Shattering/exploding sunroofs - Engineer Andy

A mate of mine who drove Saracen armoured cars in Ulster during the troubles has a Kia. When vandals threw a brick at it it caused a dent, this never happened to his Saracen, so this is another Kia shortcoming for CK91437 to troll about.

(He still hasn't told us which rival manufacturer pays him, by the way)

They should've bought a black Trans-Am T-top with a front scanner - that car is virually indestructable! Also very handy when keeping safe from terrorists shooting at you or putting explosives under your car.

Would you expect Kia to replace a cracked windscreen? No - it would be covered by insurance.

A sunroof that explodes into thousands of bits of glass fragments is not fit for purpose.

You wouldn't expect your windscreen to do that either.

If the sunroof does get hit by a small road chipping then it should just leave a very small crack/mark, and not shatter into thousands of bits that may cause blindness.

Can you name ANY brand or model of car that's absolutely perfect ?

Even Rolls-Royces "fail to proceed" on occasions

Kia/Hyundai - Shattering/exploding sunroofs - expat

Here in Australia we do get cars with sunroofs usually a standard spec straight from an overseas factory whose staff have never been here. Temperatures here in summer often get up to 45'C or more. Drivers keep the sunroof covered to avoid being fried. At one time dealers were calling sunroofs moon roofs in the hope of making them sound better. I would avoid any car with one.

Well done to these 3 companies for their volantry action, even thou it may of been forced on them. Gives you some confidence.

"Audi, Hyundai, and Volkswagen have all initiated voluntary safety recalls on vehicles with panoramic sunroof problems. All three manufacturers notified drivers of the danger and offered to repair the sunroofs free of cost."

Shame on Kia for keeping customers in the dark.

Kia Knows sunroofs are prone to shattering, Lawsuit says

The lawsuit further alleges that Kia has long known that its panoramic sunroofs are prone to unexpected and dangerous shattering, as the company initiated a formal investigation into the problem in 2012. The complaint states that “despite the high number of complaints and the danger posed by the defect, Kia continues to conceal its existence from current drivers and potential customers alike.”

www.girardgibbs.com/kia-exploding-sunroof/

Thanks for keeping us updated about things in the USA.

It's totally irrelevant since Hyundai/Kia models sold in the USA are built in the USA using 80% local content - and the models are often quite different anyway.

The moral of your campaign is not to buy a US-built car - after the debacle of the US-built Vauxhall Sintra, US-built has always been a big no-no for me.