Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Audi or Merc? - confusedbuyer

Hi all

Does anyone have any knowledge of the reliability of the petrol 2.0 TFSI 190 and the Merc C200 they can advise of? Am considering between the A5 Coupe (17 plate) and the C Coupe Premium Plus.

Does anyone also have any experience of the COMAND system in the C class? I prefer the Carplay-ready A5, but was trying to use the COMAND system today to read me a text but it wouldn't. Is it possible to use SIri via COMAND?

Thanks in advance

CB

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Audi or Merc? - badbusdriver

None at all i'm afraid!

But if if you are looking to spend your own money on a car like this, from a reliability point of view, i'd be looking at one of these instead.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171120141...1

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Audi or Merc? - gordonbennet

You too Trilogy? That grill comes under the heading what has once been seen cannot be unseen.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Audi or Merc? - RobJP

You too Trilogy? That grill comes under the heading what has once been seen cannot be unseen.

I just had a look.

Good grief, that's hideous. I'd rather walk.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Audi or Merc? - confusedbuyer
Well after looking through many so-called reliability reports that’s why I’m opting Petrol; there seems to be a 20% improvement in reliability over the diesel versions, but what I can’t get is whether that’s simply because less sold!

From a gearbox perspective it was the old 7g Merc v 7dsg vag. HJ has told me the dsg is a risk, does anyone know about the Merc?

Maybe I’ll just get a golf gti dsg6 instead!

And you pick a coupe cause it’s pretty; that Lexus is not.

Edited by confusedbuyer on 03/12/2017 at 08:27

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Audi or Merc? - SLO76
Both attractive cars but VAG have a rather nasty reputation for issues with their automated manual gearboxes both 6 and 7 speed as they age so I’d opt for manual only with the 2.0 TSi A5 or Golf GTi.

The Merc is mechanically robust but servicing and parts costs can be ridiculously high and resale on any complex modern premium brand is very reliant on a full main dealer service record so be aware of the cost of maintenance as they age and don’t buy if you can’t afford or aren’t prepared to pay this.

Me personally from the three options you’ve listed and assuming an auto box is a definite requirement I’d have the Merc but if you can live with a manual I’d probably be in the Golf GTi which is an outstanding car. It can do everything anyone needs, it’s quick, decent on fuel, has plenty of space, rides well (for a hot hatch) if you avoid daft optional wheels and tyres, it’s fun and is always easy to sell on. The DSG box is however a big no no however with loads of cases of failure and a crippling cost to repair or replace. Dealers are aware of this and tend to bid below book on them to cover risks. If you must have one with a DSG then I’d offload before it’s out of warranty.