Tesla truck 0-60 in 5 seconds - badbusdriver

Bit of confusion going on there as the heading of the story says 20 seconds, which is quite acceptable.

I wouldn't worry too much about trucks going 0-60 in 5 seconds though, can you imagine what state the load would be in?, and that assumes any of it was still actually inside the trailer as opposed to on the ground where the truck accelerated from!

Tesla truck 0-60 in 5 seconds - Engineer Andy

Bit of confusion going on there as the heading of the story says 20 seconds, which is quite acceptable.

I wouldn't worry too much about trucks going 0-60 in 5 seconds though, can you imagine what state the load would be in?, and that assumes any of it was still actually inside the trailer as opposed to on the ground where the truck accelerated from!

Ditto if they applied the tech to buses and coaches! Its like when TfL introduced the 'fast' train speeds (70mph) on the Jubilee Line extension - the acceleration was brutal, but even more so was the deceleration when performing an emergcy stop, as I found out once to my cost, nearly (and ironically) setting off an emergency break glass I was standing next to at the cab end of one carriage when the emergency stop was performed and I tumbled, head first, into the break glass!

Many people still think that an electric vehicle will be slow like a milk float or hybrid Toyota Prius, but the huge amount of instant torque means far better acceleration, especially when applied to more than two wheels, hence the amazing 0-60 time of the Tesla road car, better than a McLaren F1.

Tesla truck 0-60 in 5 seconds - gordonbennet

Presumably all wheel drive, because at a mere 10bhp per ton, when my lorry is empty @ 15 tons instead of loaded @ 44, i frequently get wheelspin in 11th gear on wet surfaces, if capable of such acceleration most lorries would be almost uncontrallable unless in perefct conditions on perfect roads.

So they'd better hurry up and put another million or so bird slicers up and fan them if the breeze drops, because the electricity requirement in the utopia these high brows have in their boggle eyes is going to be staggering.

I'll make a little prediction here.

In 25 years time, almost all lorries will be either Diesel or Diesel and alternative fuelled hybrid powered, and they'll still be driven by someone, and won't servicing the needs of the probably 100 million souls in the country, with the overwhelming majority in England, be interesting.

Tesla truck 0-60 in 5 seconds - craig-pd130

Presumably all wheel drive, because at a mere 10bhp per ton, when my lorry is empty @ 15 tons instead of loaded @ 44, i frequently get wheelspin in 11th gear on wet surfaces, if capable of such acceleration most lorries would be almost uncontrallable unless in perefct conditions on perfect roads.

When I used to hitch a lot in the early 80s, the DAF 3300 had just been introduced, and they were FAST. I once had a lift down most of the M4 in a 3300 'space cab' tractor unit with no trailer, and he was cruising at 85 easily in places, in those pre-tachograph days. Unbelievable given the barn-door aerodynamics. I suppose 330bhp and 1200ft-lb of torque will move most things at a fair old lick.

My Dad was a truck driver (as is my brother) and I remember him telling me about a new truck, which was the most powerful at the time. I think it was either a Volvo or Scania, but it was found that the drive wheels would spin inside the tyres if too much throttle was used!.

If this was true, I'd have to assume new technology has prevented this from happening, as trucks now can be quite a bit more powerful.

Tesla truck 0-60 in 5 seconds - Wackyracer

You can tell the Tesla truck was designed by someone who hasn't driven a truck, a centre driving position so you have 2 blind sides to contend with.

Tesla truck 0-60 in 5 seconds - Sofa Spud

Re electric motors, the Tesla Semi has 4 motors, one driving each rear wheel hub.

I believe they are the same motors as in the new Tesla Model 3, except it has only one, driving its rear wheels through a diff in conventional manner.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 01/12/2017 at 10:05

Tesla truck 0-60 in 5 seconds - madf

I don't care if it takes 2 seconds to get to 60mph or 100mph.

It's the 60mph to 0 time that matters...

ANy truck with that acceleration is going to be an accident waiting to happen..

It seems tesla won't be on their own with the idea of the electric truck. Whilst browsing images of the tesla truck, i came upon something similar but different by a new(ish) company called Nikola who favour hydrogen fuel cell to power the electric motors. They claim 30 seconds to 60mph under load, or about half the time of a diesel truck. They also claim that it will maintain 65mph up 6% gradient and have a range of 800-1200 miles. And the fact that it weighs up to 2000lbs (907kg) less than a diesel truck means you can put more in the trailer.

nikolamotor.com/