Skoda superb - Skoda superb eco mode gender bias - Sungem
Over the last year i have experienced an annoying fault with my skoda's on board computer. It keeps giving my wife a higher 'eco score percentage' when we have driven on the same routes. This is clearly a fault as my driving is much better than hers. It seems the harder I try the worse my score. I am still able to offer advice to my wife regarding how she drives but feel she and the car are working together to undermine my confidence. Should i go back to the main dealer to get the computer re- programmed or sell the car?
Skoda superb - Skoda superb eco mode gender bias - badbusdriver
Over the last year i have experienced an annoying fault with my skoda's on board computer. It keeps giving my wife a higher 'eco score percentage' when we have driven on the same routes. This is clearly a fault as my driving is much better than hers. It seems the harder I try the worse my score. I am still able to offer advice to my wife regarding how she drives but feel she and the car are working together to undermine my confidence. Should i go back to the main dealer to get the computer re- programmed or sell the car?

Seriously?, you want to have the car's computer fixed because it thinks your wife drives more efficiently than you?. Are you really that insecure?.

Just because you think you are a better driver than your wife doesn't mean to say you are!

No just having a bit of fun!
Skoda superb - Skoda superb eco mode gender bias - badbusdriver

That is a relief then!.

I did think that this surely couldn't be a serious question. But then again, some posts on here make you wonder.....!

Skoda superb - Skoda superb eco mode gender bias - expat

Don't sell the car. Sell the wife. Those older models of British wife are prone to head gasket failure or even a cracked head. Best to put her on Gumtree while you can still get a decent price for her.

Skoda superb - Skoda superb eco mode gender bias - oldroverboy.

I have a problem too..

My model is 16 years younger than me and continually squeaks and hisses when her distance recognition systems malfunction and thinks that I am far closer to the vehicle in front than i am or that 70 mph in a 70 zone in good clear conditions is too fast.

16 years younger is hardly a problem!
Skoda superb - Skoda superb eco mode gender bias - argybargy

On a serious (ish) note, gender bias in TV car advertising really gets me riled. The woman chooses the car, the man pays the bill, does most of the driving, and does it with a smile on his face, poor sap. So much driving, in fact that he only has time to shave once a week.

Spoken as someone who changed a perfectly good car for a troublesome one, just because the C in C didn't like my gear changes or the seat from which she viewed the passing world.

Edited by argybargy on 27/11/2017 at 09:15

Skoda superb - Skoda superb eco mode gender bias - Engineer Andy

A young ex-colleague of mine complianed (ironically just a few days before he 'inadvertently' ran into the back of a van trying to leave our complex's car park) once that he was spending a fortune on fuel in his 10yo+ 1.4 petrol Fiesta and he was going to look for a replacement diesel-powered car (which he did get as his Fiesta became an effective write-off after the accident) to keep his costs down on his 15-20 mile journey to work (about the same length journey as mine in my larger and similar aged 1.6 petrol Mazda3).

I asked him what mpg was he getting, and his said something along the lines of 'not sure, probably low 30s', which I thought was strange, as over half the journey (like mine, though a different route to work) was on a fast-flowing dual carriageway, and that I was achieving an average of 38-40 on my silimiar type of journey.

I said that he could try to knock a bit of speed off when driving on the dual carriagway, say from an indicated 70-75mph (probably nearer to a true 65-70mph) down to an indicated 65-70mph, and he might find the mpg rose a bit, but also asked what speed he normally drove at on the dual carriageway. He said 'over 90'.

'Nuff said.

Skoda superb - Skoda superb eco mode gender bias - Ian_SW

That reminds me of a young support engineer who works for one of our suppliers. He was telling us about how he'd had to get red of his 1.6 Focus which 'must have had something wrong with it' as he only got 25mpg. He'd replaced it with a Civic diesel, which he was getting 55mpg which was much better.

I thought but didn't say anything that 55mpg out of a diesel Civic wasn't great, given a mate is averaging about 65 in his. I found out later in the day when he gave me a lift the real reason why ... as we were hammering along the motorway in licence losing territory. At that point, I was even more impressed with the Civic still being really quite economical despite how it was being driven!

Returning to the original post of the eco driving score. Fortunately my car doesn't have one, but in hire cars I have had I found they mostly gave an indication of where it had been driven rather than anything useful. It was really easy to get very high scores driving on the flat, free flowing A roads near me. Go into town though and however much you drive like a Grandad the score goes right down because of the stopping and starting. Another similar much trumpeted device is the so called 'smart' gas and electricity meters, which in effect are just a backwards way of finding out how cold the weather is.

Skoda superb - Skoda superb eco mode gender bias - gordonbennet

Those eco score thingies have been in lorries for some years, aftermarket to keep extra layers of admin in non jobs, and now standard fit in some.

Scoring well on the system doesn't necessarily translate to good fuel economy nor maintaining reasonable progress, in fact quite the opposite can be the case, some companies base fuel bonuses on these things, where those who have the worse MPG figures get the max bonus, and in some cases those who get the best fuel consumption don't get any fuel bonus at all.