KIA Rio - How many miles can a Kia Rio 2010 diesel do? - Matthew Daysh
My Kia Rio 2010 is on 86,000 miles. And I do 700 miles a week in it for work. I was wondering how long it will last with this sort of mileage? And how I can make it last a long time?
KIA Rio - How many miles can a Kia Rio 2010 diesel do? - RobJP

How long will it last ? Well, that depends on you, and how much you look after it.

Get the oil and filter changed every 10-12k miles (with good quality oil and filter, not the cheapest you can find), check oil level regularly, listen out for problems, get problems sorted quickly, don't skimp on maintenance, and there's no reason why it won't last until 200,000 miles or more.

Skimp on maintenance, ignore warning lights, don't check oil level, and it could fail on you at any point.

Much like anything. The more you put into it, the more you're likely to get out of it.

KIA Rio - How many miles can a Kia Rio 2010 diesel do? - gordonbennet

Agreed.

Your usage is superb for engines, few cold starts lots of lovely hot running at speed, keep it serviced well and you should see 200k+.

I'd change the gearbox oil about every 40k too, and if it hasn't been done already i'd probably swap the coolant out as well, and a new fuel filter every now and again.

Good servicing doesn't need to cost a lot, you know very well you'll get through 25 litres of engine oil over the next 5 years and 20/25 litre packs of good engine oil are very good value especially if you buy at sale time, cost about the same to buy as one single sumpsworth at main dealer prices.

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/11/2017 at 21:16

KIA Rio - How many miles can a Kia Rio 2010 diesel do? - SLO76
Tough wee cars so as long as it's maintained properly it'll run well into six figures. The biggest worry on these is rot, particularly the front crossmember and both subframes. There's no DPF to worry about and generally it's sturdy mechanically and a cheap car to buy and run. There's little value in them now anyway so you might as well run it til it dies which could be many years if you care for it.
KIA Rio - How many miles can a Kia Rio 2010 diesel do? - CK91437

What engine size is it?

On cold startup (i.e after car has stood overnight)

How long does the red oil pressure light stay on for, before it goes off?

KIA Rio - How many miles can a Kia Rio 2010 diesel do? - galileo

What engine size is it?

Are you paid to perpetually look for faults wiith Kia/Hyundai products? Just curious.

KIA Rio - How many miles can a Kia Rio 2010 diesel do? - RobJP

What engine size is it?

Are you paid to perpetually look for faults wiith Kia/Hyundai products? Just curious.

To be fair, he picks on Honda as well - or at least, Honda diesels, which are (according to him) terrible, with the petrol versions 99% more reliable than the diesels.

Unfortunately, in spite of me asking him to back up that wonderful statistic that he came up with, he published nothing further on that thread.

Maybe this one will be seen and replied to ? Although I doubt it, for some obscure reason.

KIA Rio - How many miles can a Kia Rio 2010 diesel do? - Engineer Andy

What engine size is it?

To be fair, he picks on Honda as well - or at least, Honda diesels, which are (according to him) terrible, with the petrol versions 99% more reliable than the diesels.

Unfortunately, in spite of me asking him to back up that wonderful statistic that he came up with, he published nothing further on that thread.

Maybe this one will be seen and replied to ? Although I doubt it, for some obscure reason.

Odd that, for someone, CK91437, whose first ever comment on this forum stated that they didn't have much technical expertise/experience with cars, they, in my opinion, certainly give out a lot of 'views' as if they were stating cold, hard facts, as opposed to an 'opinion' based his own experiences and perhaps of 'a couple of mates'.

Something fishy going on if you ask me.

KIA Rio - How many miles can a Kia Rio 2010 diesel do? - madf

Odd that, for someone, CK91437, whose first ever comment on this forum stated that they didn't have much technical expertise/experience with cars, they, in my opinion, certainly give out a lot of 'views' as if they were stating cold, hard facts, as opposed to an 'opinion' based his own experiences and perhaps of 'a couple of mates'.

Something fishy going on if you ask me.

Nothing fishy at all. He's a troll and not a very good one.

KIA Rio - How many miles can a Kia Rio 2010 diesel do? - Matthew Daysh
It’s a 1.4 engine. The red oil light stays on for 1 sec.
KIA Rio - How many miles can a Kia Rio 2010 diesel do? - Cyd

Read my little essay here:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/114789/any---turbocharger

Look after it and it could run forever.

Read my little essay here:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/114789/any---turbocharger

Look after it and it could run forever.

Thats a very good guide for increasing the longevity of the car, engine and turbo.

Sadly not all drivers are this careful. I've seen many drive off at speed the second the car starts.

Would be interesting to know your views on the stop/start function which some drivers seem to use, and how it affects the longevity of the engine and it various components.

KIA Rio - How many miles can a Kia Rio 2010 diesel do? - SLO76
“Would be interesting to know your views on the stop/start function which some drivers seem to use, and how it affects the longevity of the engine and it various components.”

This technology definitely reduces turbo lifespan. The system in our CRV will quite happily turn the engine off if you stop in a que of traffic immediately after a high speed run if you let it and this is a big no no with turbochargers as anyone with a bit of technical knowledge will understand. It cuts oil and coolant flow to the turbo while it’s glowing red hot and spinning furiously. Most systems are easily bypassed simply by keeping your foot on the clutch or turning the thing off altogether and a wise man would be right to do so.

Second to this and I’m sure most people are unaware of it is the huge cost of replacing the uprated starter on a car with such a system. My old gaffers Mk VII Golf GTi needed a starter recently which came to a plainly ludicrous £850 fitted!!!! I’ve bought serviceable cars for much less.

Edited by SLO76 on 23/11/2017 at 20:09

This technology definitely reduces turbo lifespan. The system in our CRV will quite happily turn the engine off if you stop in a que of traffic immediately after a high speed run if you let it and this is a big no no with turbochargers as anyone with a bit of technical knowledge will understand. It cuts oil and coolant flow to the turbo while it’s glowing red hot and spinning furiously. Most systems are easily bypassed simply by keeping your foot on the clutch or turning the thing off altogether and a wise man would be right to do so. Second to this and I’m sure most people are unaware of it is the huge cost of replacing the uprated starter on a car with such a system. My old gaffers Mk VII Golf GTi needed a starter recently which came to a plainly ludicrous £850 fitted!!!! I’ve bought serviceable cars for much less.

Exactly.

Stop start hasn't reached full sized lorries yet, though Volvo for some years have had a system that shuts the vehicle down after 3 minutes idling, and i fully expect SS to arrive soon.

The new religion is no idling at all, because apparently new vehicles have systems that keep the turbos lubed or cooled, i have a slightly different view, it goes like this.

in my left hand i have a cupful of fuel worth about 50p, or maybe £5 worth of sensible warm up/cool down idling fuel over the course of several months driving

in my right hand i have the several thousands ££ that the two turbos fitted to my present lorry would cost plus whatever else gets taken out in the event of failure, the £hundreds that the recovery would cost, the losses associated with letting the customer down and subsequent downtime of the vehicle, not forgetting the reduced life of the starter and ring gear by starting dozens of times a day instead of a handful

I'll take the invoice in the left hand every time thanks

I've also covered around 3 million miles or more in lorries fitted with turbochargers and my own vehicles too, i have yet to suffer a turbo failure that i can recall, and turbo failure is an increasingly common thing in lorry world.

Stop start i would endeavor to have programmed out of any vehicle i owned.

KIA Rio - How many miles can a Kia Rio 2010 diesel do? - Engineer Andy
“Would be interesting to know your views on the stop/start function which some drivers seem to use, and how it affects the longevity of the engine and it various components.” This technology definitely reduces turbo lifespan. The system in our CRV will quite happily turn the engine off if you stop in a que of traffic immediately after a high speed run if you let it and this is a big no no with turbochargers as anyone with a bit of technical knowledge will understand. It cuts oil and coolant flow to the turbo while it’s glowing red hot and spinning furiously. Most systems are easily bypassed simply by keeping your foot on the clutch or turning the thing off altogether and a wise man would be right to do so. Second to this and I’m sure most people are unaware of it is the huge cost of replacing the uprated starter on a car with such a system. My old gaffers Mk VII Golf GTi needed a starter recently which came to a plainly ludicrous £850 fitted!!!! I’ve bought serviceable cars for much less.

I know its getting a bit off topic (sorry), but much of the problems caused by people idling their engines (and possibly prompting the introduction of stop-start systems) tend to happen in two areas: in large urban areas in heavy traffic, in which case, at least for cars, people who do a lot of urban driving (but who don't need to tow/carry heavy loads) should have been buying hybrid-petrol cars and not turbo-diesels; the other main issue is outside school gates with loads of parents hanging around (especially in cold winter or very hot summer conditions) in their cars waiting to pick up little Johnny, despite most of them living within 15-20 mins walk (even with the kids) of home - in that case, walk them to school, and perhaps organise a club for different parents to walk several sets of kids to/from school and/or set up a before-school 'looking after' club so that parents who have to go to work can drop their kids off ealier at say 8 - 8.30am. They could even use the same room after school to meet up so that (waiting for little Johnny) they didn't get cold waiting outside, in case they didn't, say, wear warm clothes (as people used to do). Hardly rocket science.

For everyone else, we just need a decent bit of advice or a dash indicator light when in traffic jams to know when we can switch off our engines (if the jam's not going anywhere soon) when it won't damage turbos etc on the engine. Manufacturers do this nowadays for 'efficient' gear changes and on HGVs for DPF regens, so why not for turbo systems on vehicles?

KIA Rio - How many miles can a Kia Rio 2010 diesel do? - Chrome

Fully agree that these Mk2 Rios are great cars. Kia were really pushing for recognition when this model was launched and as a result quality and attention to detail were high. I purchased my 1.5 CRDi new in 2007. Currently on 83k and has been reliable apart from a drop-link and ABS sensor failure last winter. Still drives well and remains rattle free. Has none of the 'looseness' which afflicted my previous cars (Citroens) at half the age and mileage. Mine still has the original battery and exhaust! A very similiar car (quality wise) is the first generation (painted bumper face-lift model) Toyota Yaris, my friend has owned a 2004 D4D from new and reckons it will easily last 20+ years!

Edited by Chrome on 23/11/2017 at 20:03

Fully agree that these Mk2 Rios are great cars. Kia were really pushing for recognition when this model was launched and as a result quality and attention to detail were high. I purchased my 1.5 CRDi new in 2007. Currently on 83k and has been reliable apart from a drop-link and ABS sensor failure last winter.

To be fair the drop-link and sensor could fail on any car from any manufacturer, so I wouldn't really say that is a design/manufacturing fault.

@Chrome - Would be interesting to know how long your red oil pressure light stays on for on cold engine startup (ie after engine has been siting overnight)?

KIA Rio - How many miles can a Kia Rio 2010 diesel do? - Chrome

Fully agree that these Mk2 Rios are great cars. Kia were really pushing for recognition when this model was launched and as a result quality and attention to detail were high. I purchased my 1.5 CRDi new in 2007. Currently on 83k and has been reliable apart from a drop-link and ABS sensor failure last winter.

To be fair the drop-link and sensor could fail on any car from any manufacturer, so I wouldn't really say that is a design/manufacturing fault.

@Chrome - Would be interesting to know how long your red oil pressure light stays on for on cold engine startup (ie after engine has been siting overnight)?

The car is coming up to 11-years old and can probably be classified as a banger. I can say that the car uses no oil between services (now approx 8k per year) and that the oil light extinguishes after start-up. In the unlikely scenario that the car were to suffer an oil-pressure event I would replace the vehicle rather than repair. If the engine were to fail I would not change my positive opinion re Kia, as the car has far exceeded my expectations!

In answer to a direct question above about my view of stop start systems:

They are a triumph of marketing (driven by market forces) over engineering. And it's "our own" faults

Here in the UK, despite the fact that VED is a drop in the ocean compared to the total cost of running a car, the level of VED any particular car attracts has a massively disproportionate effect on percieved value in the market place and hence on sales. people will moan like Bill about VED levels, yet never a murmour about depreciation!

Now, the Government knows this. It also desires to reduce pollution levels caused by burning fuel. So it decides to manipulate market forces by setting a VED regime that cajoles consumers into smaller more efficient cars, which in turn cajoles manufacturers to make more efficient cars. It uses CO2 as the measure to provide a percieved link between pollution and the size of your car. It's phsycological warfare - trying to shame you into a smaller engined car.

The automotive industry then sets about creating Engineering solutions to this new marketing need. Many of the solutions are excellent: smaller capacity turbo engines; improved aerodynamics; reduced vehicle weight; more efficient engines; fuel cut off on overrun and so on.

At least one solution isn't so good (well, further down the ownership line that is); automated manual dual clutch gearboxes.

However, there is still a problem. In congestion, no matter how small and efficient ythe engine, it still burns fuel whilst idling and going nowhere, increasing local pollution levels. So the mandated test regime for determining CO2 output includes a simulated drive cycle which in turn includes a period of idling. There is nothing in the test rules that says the engine MUST remain running during the idling portion of the test and so some bright spark somewhere spots that the total test CO2 output can be cut by stopping the engine during this portion of the test.

Now this doesn't achieve much in reality, maybe 5 or 10 grams overall, but this is enough in some cases to drop a car into the next VED band down. So, voila, a marketing advantage is born and suddenly cars have stop start fitted. Boom!

This brings it's own challenge. It stresses the cars starting system. So it gets beef up. By just enough to keep warranty at bay whilst not eroding the marketing advantage by adding too much cost or weight.

The cars showroom appeal is improved by it's "percieved" economy and reduced VED.

Boom! Hoisted by our own petard! Our en-mass gullibility exploited to the max!

Stop/start is a disaster for the longevity of engines and systems. It stresses so many components, including the driver.

Edited by Cyd on 24/11/2017 at 13:32

Avant.

Could i suggest Cyd's superb post above gets tacked onto his excellent turbo care article if that is possible, in the stickies on the appropriate page, with a slight alteration to the sticky title so people know there's a sub article about stop start as well.

That post is too valuable to end up vanishing when gems like this should be available to be read and digested by new visitors to the forum in the future.

Edited by gordonbennet on 24/11/2017 at 14:00

KIA Rio - How many miles can a Kia Rio 2010 diesel do? - RT

Avant.

Could i suggest Cyd's superb post above gets tacked onto his excellent turbo care article if that is possible, in the stickies on the appropriate page, with a slight alteration to the sticky title so people know there's a sub article about stop start as well.

That post is too valuable to end up vanishing when gems like this should be available to be read and digested by new visitors to the forum in the future.

Seconded - it's exceedinly informative for anyone taking the trouble to find out about these things

Avant.

Seconded - it's exceedinly informative for anyone taking the trouble to find out about these things

totally agree. Compulsary reading for any car owner.

KIA Rio - How many miles can a Kia Rio 2010 diesel do? - Avant

Hi Cyd

I've tried to Email you, but the address I have for you doesn't work, so I'll have to make this request in the open.

You may have seen that there have been requests to make your post about start-stop into a sticky thread, like your excellent, definitive guide to looking after turbos.

Personally I agree with your every word about start-stop: fuel savings are minimal and there are obvious extra stresses on some components. But there will be others who disagree, e.g. those who are fanatic about the environment, so rather than make it a 'sticky' thread, and thus look like the forum's policy, would you care to copy and paste your post on to a new thread with 'stop-start' in the title - so that it can be easily found and referred to in the future?

I can do this for you if you like, but I wouldn't want to do it without your permission.

Best wishes

Avant (moderator)

That's because I've been around on here for something like 25 years, still using a 25 yr old email address as login ID.

Anyway up: done.

If you want to get in touch though, use pcelectricspjc

at

g

mail

dot

com

KIA Rio - How many miles can a Kia Rio 2010 diesel do? - V4 Heaven

My 20 year old Toyora Carina E 1.8 petrol is just about to turn 240,000 miles. It's just had its 24th service (29 oil changes over its life with interim ones).

I also, despite some advice to the contrary on here, carried out a full engine oil flush at 238,000. It then ran on value engine oil of the right spec for 1,000 miles before new, quality oil was put in at its most recent service last week. In the 1,000 miles after the engine flush and before the indie service, its oil burning level did not change at approx 100ml per 1,000 miles. I'm sure some new Audis would be happy with this low oil consumption.......

Last week's 240,000 mile service was a bit pricey but it was due a cambelt and had to have new rear brake lines, so it's good for another 5 years/60,000 miles.

The service schedule specifies gearbox oil changes every 27,000 miles and I always remind my local trusted indie to do this.

So all in all, keep it serviced and just enjoy it. The hardest thing to overcome is the mindset of not worrying about adding the miles on. It took me a while to get my head around this as I used to worry about mileage and subsequent resale value. A reliable, trustworthy, well maintained car is worth more to you than the trade in at the end of its lifelong journey.

Edited by V4 Heaven on 30/11/2017 at 13:12

You lads will have marketing bods crying in their soup, this looking after cars properly stuff works, well done the crew who don't mind getting their hands dirty.

My 20 year old Toyora Carina E 1.8 petrol is just about to turn 240,000 miles. It's just had its 24th service (29 oil changes over its life with interim ones).

I also, despite some advice to the contrary on here, carried out a full engine oil flush at 238,000. It then ran on value engine oil of the right spec for 1,000 miles before new, quality oil was put in at its most recent service last week. In the 1,000 miles after the engine flush and before the indie service, its oil burning level did not change at approx 100ml per 1,000 miles. I'm sure some new Audis would be happy with this low oil consumption.......

Last week's 240,000 mile service was a bit pricey but it was due a cambelt and had to have new rear brake lines, so it's good for another 5 years/60,000 miles.

The service schedule specifies gearbox oil changes every 27,000 miles and I always remind my local trusted indie to do this.

So all in all, keep it serviced and just enjoy it. The hardest thing to overcome is the mindset of not worrying about adding the miles on. It took me a while to get my head around this as I used to worry about mileage and subsequent resale value. A reliable, trustworthy, well maintained car is worth more to you than the trade in at the end of its lifelong journey.

Well done to owner and the car. I suspect it will easily do 300,000 miles .

I bet the cost of having the cambelt fitted was worth more than the value of the car... :-)

but as you say, it is worth more to you then to someine else. Is it an auto or manual gearbox?

KIA Rio - How many miles can a Kia Rio 2010 diesel do? - V4 Heaven
Yeah I think We Buy Any Car will give me £75 for it, so the service was way over its value! Filling it up with petrol is close to its value too!

It has a manual gearbox. I bought it at 46,000 in 2002 and in my ownership it hasn’t had the clutch replaced, so it may well be the original. It doesn’t feel that there’s a great deal left in the clutch but it isn’t slipping.

As I can still get 40+ mpg on my daily 50 mile return journey commute, it’ll be around for a few more years yet!