Skoda superb - Oh and another thing..... - Sungem
I hate it when people ask for advice and then change the goal posts once you suggest a solution. So here goes with all the goal posts and constraints. When the skoda comes off lease i want to buy a car that will; only be used to pull a 1500kg caravan twice a year, be used for short town based comutes(10-15) the rest of the time, is quiet and comfortable and has a large boot. I was thinking of petrol as i am concerned about dpf issues. Budget about £8,000. Your thoughts....(can include sell caravan!).
Skoda superb - Oh and another thing..... - badbusdriver

Turbo petrol suberb or octavia would seem the obvious choice, assuming you like your current superb?. I don't know anything bout towing capacities, so i have linked a 1.8tsi version of each, but both are more comonly available with the 1.4tsi (if they are up to towing your caravan)

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171103090...1

Or

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170821854...1

Edited by badbusdriver on 18/11/2017 at 13:14

Skoda superb - Oh and another thing..... - Bromptonaut

The towing bit might be a tall order. Do you stick to 85% of kerbweight or are you prepared to go to 100?

Skoda superb - Oh and another thing..... - RobJP

We've just changed our old Mitsubishi Shogun Sport (2.5 diesel) which was starting to fall apart and bought a 2012/62 Subaru Forester 2.0 petrol manual in base 'X' trim. Yes, it's up on the miles (87k), but full Subaru service history, comprehensive 6 months warranty from the Subaru dealership, (the only owner swapped it in for a brand new Forester) it does 33-35mpg (even with me driving, and I like to 'make progress', so to speak), and it cost less than £8k.

It's even got heated front seats. Which means SWMBO is very happy, with her bad back.

Skoda superb - Oh and another thing..... - daveyjp
Gald to read you bought it, it looked a good buy.

I’d also suggest a Forester, but I have one which has been faultless, so am slightly biased!

I noticed today Subaru are now sponsoring Wales Rugby.
Can go to 100 per cent in terms of towing /kerb weight so skoda might be ok but the Subaru sounds very good too.

Edited by Sungem on 18/11/2017 at 16:00

Skoda superb - Oh and another thing..... - badbusdriver
Can go to 100 per cent in terms of towing /kerb weight so skoda might be ok but the Subaru sounds very good too.

Just checked on the honest john reviews section and according to it, the skoda superb 1.8tsi (se) weighs 1421kg. Weirdly (given how big the skoda is), the subaru forester ('08-'13) is actually heavier though not by a huge amount, the 2.0 xs version hitting the scales at 1485kg. Not sure why, but the skoda's maximum quoted towing weight is a whopping 500kg less than the subaru (possibly because of it being 4x4?), being 1500kg and 2000kg respectively. I have precisely diddly squat knowledge of towing and caravans, but the extra traction of the subaru's all wheel drive would appeal to me. Also, Rob's mpg seems quite reasonable to me, given that his figure is 'actual mpg' rather than the fantasy figures manufacturers quote in their shiny brochures!.

Skoda superb - Oh and another thing..... - madf

Just checked on the honest john reviews section and according to it, the skoda superb 1.8tsi (se) weighs 1421kg. Weirdly (given how big the skoda is), the subaru forester ('08-'13) is actually heavier though not by a huge amount, the 2.0 xs version hitting the scales at 1485kg. Not sure why, but the skoda's maximum quoted towing weight is a whopping 500kg less than the subaru (possibly because of it being 4x4?), being 1500kg and 2000kg respectively. I have precisely diddly squat knowledge of towing and caravans, but the extra traction of the subaru's all wheel drive would appeal to me. Also, Rob's mpg seems quite reasonable to me, given that his figure is 'actual mpg' rather than the fantasy figures manufacturers quote in their shiny brochures!.

4WD - extra 2 driveshafts, propshaft to rear,extra diff...more complex gearbox.

Skoda superb - Oh and another thing..... - Big John

I have a 2014 Superb 1.4tsi that has been great (loads of boot/passenger space, economical, quiet, reasonable power) but I wouldn't recommend it for towing a caravan - think the tow limit is 1400kg anyway.

They are great value used though (last of the MKII's)

Had further discussions at home and traffic may flow faster next year as the caravan might be on the way out. We would need a decent family car with luggage space but without the hauling capacity-so an Octavia or as Big John says, a Superb again. Just had a test drive in a new Dacia Logan today and thought it was not too bad for the money. It was quiet but the wife who sat in the back said it was 'truck like' (I think that was the word she used) and not comfortable. The search has been made simpler now i feel. thanks for all the responses so far.