2015 Audi A3 vs 2015 Hyundai i30 - Please offer some advice - Dragos Carlan

Kindly if you could give me some advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to decide between buying either a 2015 Audi A3 5 door or a 2015 Hyundai i30 5 door both used, with around 50000 miles done.

I am inclined towards buying the Audi because it is a solid manufacturer but from what I understand the cost of maintenance, servicing and parts are quite high which is an important factor for me.

On the other hand I am also inclined towards buying the i30 because, with all the info I could find so far, it seems to be a decent, reliable car which should not be very expensive to run.

I understand that this is a difficult question to ask but in your experience which one is better to buy?

What would be the pros and cons from your point of view for these cars or what factors would count for you? My budget is about £8000, I will use the car mostly for work but I do not do a lot of motorway driving.

Many thanks,

2015 Audi A3 vs 2015 Hyundai i30 - Please offer some advice - RT

With the Audi, you'll get 1 year manufacturer warranty but mileage limited - with the Hyundai you'll get 3 years manufacturer warranty with unlimited mileage - that assumes both have been properly maintained.

Apart from that, they're like chalk and cheese!

2015 Audi A3 vs 2015 Hyundai i30 - Please offer some advice - badbusdriver

Wow!, that is something I never thought I'd read, an OP trying to decide between 2 totally different cars (image wise).

On the one hand you have the Audi A3, a car bought by the image obsessed, a car which is literally just a more expensive golf, which in turn is just a more expensive seat leon/skoda octavia!. I'm not saying it is a bad car, but unless the quality of the interior or impressing your neighbours are your priorities, the A3 offers no more than the golf, leon or octavia.

Then you have the solid reliable hyundai i30, a car which does nothing particularly well, but nothing particularly poorly either. But, like the Audi, you also should be considering others, in this case the Kia cee'd as, under the skin, it is the same car. Though if you are bothered by such things, the Kia is generally regarded as being a more youthful and stylish car (Kia's head designer was poached from Audi).

Without knowing more about your requirements (petrol/diesel, manual/auto), it is difficult to make a call on this. I can tell you that regardless of engine/gearbox, it definitely wouldn't be the Audi for me. If I had to choose a VAG option, it would be either the leon or octavia.

But if you are thinking of petrol, I'd be looking at a mazda 3 or Honda civic. Both of which are more reliable than anything VAG, and more fun to drive than the hyundai or kia.

2015 Audi A3 vs 2015 Hyundai i30 - Please offer some advice - veloster

everything being equal it would be the hyundai for me out of those two.

should be more reliable and if not it has a longer warranty to fall back on.

new hyundai i30 out now so dont over pay for the older model..

2015 Audi A3 vs 2015 Hyundai i30 - Please offer some advice - badbusdriver

Something else which just occurred to me is that you seem to be under the impression that you will be able to buy a 2015 Audi A3 for the same price as a 2015 hyundai i30?. Don't know where you are, or if you have been looking, but a quick search on autotrader suggests that the youngest A3 5 door with >50k miles and >£8k will be a 2012.

And by the way, seeing as I noticed that I didn't actually answer your question. I'd have the hyundai out of the 2 choices.

2015 Audi A3 vs 2015 Hyundai i30 - Please offer some advice - RobJP

The cheapest 2015 A3 (on Autotrader) in the UK is priced at £7,980. But has 120,000 miles on the clock.

Up the price bracket to £10k, and allow for cars with up to 60k miles on the clock, and you start to find a few for sale. Unfortunately, they're either Cat D or have the disastrously problematic 1.6TDi in them (or both).

Whereas there are plenty of i30's for sale that meet all of the requirements - under 50k miles, 2015 on, under £8,000. There are 50 that meet those requirements.

I suggest the OP needs to find a bit of realism in what sort of 'prestige' brand, mileage, age, etc. they can get for their money. Along with a bit of research on here to find the problematic areas, and engines/gearboxes to avoid.

RobJP, thank you for your reply. I am certainly not interested in prestige, I am just looking for a reliable car (as much as possible) for my budget. The idea of buyng an Audi was strictly related to the fact that maybe the Audi (since is such a big brand) might be more reliable than a Hyundai.

badbusdriver, related to the price, it was just a misunderstanding. Again, I am just interested in how reliable these cars are and if the Audi or another brand would be better.

veloster, thank you for your advice.

badbusdriver thank you for your advice. As far as image is concerned I do not care that much.

My only priorities are reliability, performance and costs to run the car. Obviously for my budget I cannot have the best of the best. It is pretty much the only reason why I thought about the Audi, I thought it is worth to see what you guys think in terms of reliability and performance compared to the Hyunday.

I will look into the Seat idea, thank you.

Thank you

2015 Audi A3 vs 2015 Hyundai i30 - Please offer some advice - SLO76

£8k will go much further buying a good used Hyundai than it will an Audi. I'd open your search up a bit to include others like the Mazda 3 petrol, Ford Focus 1.6 petrol, Toyota Auris petrol and Honda Civic. Buy on condition and history above anything else. I'm no great fan of the A3 and you need a post 2013 car to avoid the timing chain issues whic affect the petrol TSi motors and a post 2015 diesel to avoid the emissions update which is causing EGR and DPF problems. The Kia Cee'd is also a good bet at this money, it's the same car underneath as the Hyundai but buy one with a full main dealer service record and you'll get the balance of that excellent 7yr 100k warranty. Stick with a manual gearbox in all but the Honda or Mazda.

Edited by Avant on 15/11/2017 at 23:46

SLO76 - many thanks for your kind advice

Avant could you kindly delete that postcode predictive text mysteriously landed in the middle of my last post?
2015 Audi A3 vs 2015 Hyundai i30 - Please offer some advice - Avant

Done. And as always, thanks for your invaluable advice.

Thanking you...
2015 Audi A3 vs 2015 Hyundai i30 - Please offer some advice - catsdad
SLO advice is, as ever, spot on. We've just been looking at three of the cars he lists at this price bracket and our experience may help.

Focus at this price are nearly all 1.0 ecoboost or powershift. 1.6 petrols are relatively rare for such a popular range. The 125 hp version is even rarer. Zetec Interiors are already a bit dated and cheap feeling compared to the competition.

Civic will be dearer or older than the alternatives and good ones from Honda dealers sell very quickly. We missed out on three that sold on the day the appeared on AT.

Even quite old Mazda 3's are available via the Mazda approved scheme and prices seem competitive. Its considerably slower and a bit thirstier than the Civic but a lot cheaper/newer. Prices are on a par with Focus. The Mazda has turned out to be our main target.

One thing that has surprised me are poor service histories in this age and bracket even from main dealers and big independents. Ads describing history as "present" , "documented" and other terms often hid the fact that cars had significant gaps. One typical example was a 3 year old 24,000 mile car with one service at 12 months / 9000 miles and nothing since - and it wasnt on a long service regime. Maybe we were unlucky but fully serviced cars at this price bracket seem to be a rarity.

As ever, buyer beware.