HJ BR Intrusive Adverts - RT

Out of order - just been trying to help a contributor with an Astra Alarm query and get interrupted by a full screen advert for a new Astra.

If it happens again, I'm out of here for good.

HJ BR Intrusive Adverts - oldroverboy.

Use adblock plus. works for me,

Use adblock plus. works for me,

I am - it somehow got through though!

HJ BR Intrusive Adverts - RichT54

I know HJ needs ads to support the site, but I also can't stand large intrusive adverts. They are also a security risk as several ad providers have been hacked in order to distribute malware via legitimate sites. I use uBlock Origin add-on in my browser and never see any ads here.

HJ BR Intrusive Adverts - FP

I use Opera browser, with "Block Ads" enabled, plus Adblock Plus and also Ghostery and Tampermonkey (which is particularly good for blocking sponsored stuff on Facebook).

I don't have a problem with ads here - there's the usual stuff down the sides I can ignore.

HJ BR Intrusive Adverts - gordonbennet

firefox, adblock plus, ghostery and self-destructing cookies here, there are 13 trackers alone on this page which ghostery is blocking, more on some sites less on others, if they can't track you they can't target you with ads.

Also this year is the first time i've paid for the full premium security, Malwarebytes premium as it happens, i'm a convert.

HJ BR Intrusive Adverts - Engineer Andy

I find that, after using Adblock Plus (only) for some time, it was getting quite processor hungry and was slowing down my PC (admitedly it is 6 years old now, but it was [back then] a high spec PC) when browsing ad-intensive websites (the Daily Telegraph is FAR worse in my view), particularly with Flash-type or video ads (whether full screen or not).

Anyhoo, I've now changed my Firefox (latest 64 bit version on Win 7 64-bit) add-ons to:

• uBlock Origin (a much 'liter' ad blocker than Adblock plus but still very effective on almost all ads);
  • Adguard AdBlocker, which someone on another forum suggested to me as a way of avoid almost all pop-ups and especially pop-unders that Firefox generally and uBlock etc don't block;
  • Ghostery - not sure what it does exactly other than restrict tracking, but it always gets great user reviews given today's predilication for many website to have very intrusive ads that can track your browsing.

In combination, they seem to work very well on my PC, less so on my tablet, but then it is significantly less powerful (Galaxy Tab 3, so not exactly new or really powerful either), but using it on the tablet made a huge improvement, enough that it went from (this website and the DT) being completely unusable to a bit slow, but usable.

Its a real shame that I've had to install these programs, as I have no problem with relatively unobtrusive banner ads (though not the 'background'/whole page ones which do use significant amounts of system resources) as long as they don't severely restrict reading of the content we are actually here for. I agree that the video/Flash type ads a real pain in the backside and, rather than attract me to buy some product, they put me off by reducing the experience of using said webside (whatever they are).

PS. Firefox are in the process of making major changes to how their software works, and some ad-ons (not including those I listed above, thankfully) may not work very soon. Many add-on developers do not like the changes, especially as Firefox's owners are apparently also trialling (in Germany) built-in software that tracks users and gives that info to ad firms or something similar, which users cannot opt out from.

Some developers are, as such, refusing to update their add-ons, which, if its widespread, could bring down Firefox very quickly. A shame if it did, as I find the large amount of (free) add-ons really useful, more so than all the other browsers, and Firefox is still reasonably quick.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 05/11/2017 at 14:01

HJ BR Intrusive Adverts - argybargy

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I use Ad Block with Chrome on Windows 10 and never suffer the sort of problems other contributors seem to get.

Occasional pop ups at the screen edge, but I never lose any part of the main forum panel.

HJ BR Intrusive Adverts - RobJP

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I use Ad Block with Chrome on Windows 10 and never suffer the sort of problems other contributors seem to get.

Occasional pop ups at the screen edge, but I never lose any part of the main forum panel.

Adblock on Chrome on Win 7 for me, and works pretty much perfectly

Edited by RobJP on 05/11/2017 at 14:49

HJ BR Intrusive Adverts - madf

Adblock on Chrome on Win 7 for me, and works pretty much perfectly

+1 W10

HJ BR Intrusive Adverts - expat

Like the rest of us I appreciate that HJ needs advertising to fund the site so I don't criticise him for having it. However I do find advertising on the internet in general to be a pest and potentially a hazard given the adverts have been found to serve up malware on occasion. My answer to it is to tweak the hosts file to reject all requests to go to advert sites. It directs all those requests to 0.0.0.0 so they never get through. This is how it is done:

winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

I also run a second browser which has no adblocking, ghostery etc. This is used only for sites which won't run if too much is blocked. Ebay is one that I need clean browser for. I also use the second browser for Iview catch up TV.

It looks like this website's developers are getting cleverer and defeating Opera/Adblock Plus - at least for me they are.

HJ BR Intrusive Adverts - Engineer Andy

It looks like this website's developers are getting cleverer and defeating Opera/Adblock Plus - at least for me they are.

ABP used to be really good (I'm talking about it on Firefox though) but, in my view, it just just doesn't cut the mustard any more across the board, especially when running on older machines/OSes and an increasing number of web browsers, hence why I now run two liighter ones in conjunction with Ghostery, which seems to do the job.

I'm certainly not upgrading my PC or especially my OS from Win 7 (Pro 64 bit) to Win 10 (which I despise after using it at work) as you lose a significant amount of functionality (changing settings is REALLY a pain on 10 other than basics compared to 7), and besides, half of my software running now isn't compatible with Win 10.

I just think web designisers need to tone down the use of heavy graphics and video in the ads as going overboard on the amount on web pages - it just puts people off using them if it significantly slows down (sometimes making it nigh on impossible) the browsing experience, which is why you are there to start with, and can (as it does with me) set them against certain brands (as well as the website itself) if their ads are overly obtrusive. I think that's partly the reason why less people now subscribe to the Telegraph online than a few years ago (other than a decline in the quality of journalism).

Its a fine line for HJ to tread, given ad revenues aren't what they were precisely because they are spread out over a much wider media nowadays, and I hope this website stays on the right (correct) side of the line.

HJ BR Intrusive Adverts - galileo

Today, for the first time, I see ads at the end of the threads, which seem to be relevant to the thread in many cases.

I don't object to these as they don't interfere with reading posts and could in fact be useful, so I think this is a fair solution.

(Windows 7, Chrome, Adblock and Ghostery)

HJ BR Intrusive Adverts - SteveMegson

We're not doing anything clever to defeat Adblock Plus, so I'm rather surprised that that ad got through. EasyList seems to consider that network to be a tracking system rather than an ad server, and doesn't bother to block it.

Having said that, you shouldn't have been seeing that ad, and you shouldn't be bothered by it again.