Windscreen wiper prices - Taking the mick? - oldroverboy.

Decided to do as usual, car now 2.5 years old, replace wipers before the winter..

Not only did my local kia dealer quote me £54 and sone pennies for 2 front windscreen wippers, but offered to fit the, and i asked how much the fitting charge, then fainted.(almost)

went to my local motor factors £19 for a pair of Bosch wipers. Fitted free by nice person to make sure correct.

Windscreen wiper prices - Taking the mick? - RT

VW dealers will fit them FOC - but still not cheap - I get Bosch online new fronts every 10,000 miles and new rear every 15,000 - take about 4 minutes to fit and half of that is getting them out of the box!

Windscreen wiper prices - Taking the mick? - gordonbennet

I used to get blades online from, it was either 'five30 wipers blades' or 5thirty wiper blades', can't remember which though think it was the former, they seem to have disappeared or more than likely been bought out unless one of our intrepid fellow posters knows better.

They supplied about 4 different brands, budget, Bosch, another big name which has slipped me mind, and Trico, i hadn't seen Trico for years, also would supply refills for one of the brands which was a nice old fashioned touch.

I have bought blades from ECP/CP4L but getting the correct blade is hit and miss there.

My blades tend to last years, one of the best tips...yes i know its a bit OCD...is when you think to lift the blades and lean them the other way to their natural parking lean, that way they don't get a permanent lean and stay supple, i do this with my lorries too and have had the same blades on for hundreds of thousands of miles.

The main dealers do take the mickey with some parts prices, though some can be surprisngly cheap for consumables, MB is one such.

Windscreen wiper prices - Taking the mick? - Manatee

I've had the same experience with CP4L - wrong blades delivered.

Last used wiperblades.co.uk for a set for the Roomster. They sent the wrong rear wiper (it changed mid way through the year), I emailed them, they sent me another and told me not to bother sending the wrong one back. I gave it to somebody with a car that fitted it

Windscreen wiper prices - Taking the mick? - NAthan smith
Many companies on eBay just bought some for my 63 bmw 3 series touring £8.50 delivered- perfect
Windscreen wiper prices - Taking the mick? - corax

My Bosch flat wiper blades are superb. Over four years old and hardly a sign of streaking, completely silent, although I understand the wiper arm design on certain cars can dictate the amount of juddering. I used to have to replace the conventional Bosch blades every year. I wonder if the plastic cowling on the flat ones protects the rubber from sun degradation to a certain extent.

Not so keen on wiper. co.uk's own brand - a bit noisy, despite resting the blade on the windscreen the opposite way. I think the rubber is too stiff to change direction smoothly.

Windscreen wiper prices - Taking the mick? - focussed

£54 for a pair of wiper blades? - All the thieves aren't in jail then?

For both sides front + the rear on our Accord Tourer - Genuine parts = £29 + postage.

Windscreen wiper prices - Taking the mick? - oldroverboy.

£54 for a pair of wiper blades? - All the thieves aren't in jail then?

For both sides front + the rear on our Accord Tourer - Genuine parts = £29 + postage.

Yes, and this from the dealer who wanted to charge me £140 extra to remove wheels and properly check all brakes while it was in for a full service. I let them do the service as it was a 3 year service pack with the car.

Needlessly to say I got it done for £34.50 elsewhere.

Windscreen wiper prices - Taking the mick? - gordonbennet

Yes, and this from the dealer who wanted to charge me £140 extra to remove wheels and properly check all brakes while it was in for a full service. I let them do the service as it was a 3 year service pack with the car.

Needlessly to say I got it done for £34.50 elsewhere.

Object lesson in how to woo your customers, into going elsewhere...how these places stay in business is a mystery.

Windscreen wiper prices - Taking the mick? - RichT54

Three years ago Autoglass gave me a "free" pair of wiper blades when they replaced the windscreen. Still haven't fitted them as the originals continue to work perfectly.

Windscreen wiper prices - Taking the mick? - sajid

had my wipers replaced for my honda civic 2.2 59 reg bosch aerotwin £18 fitting free of charge

Windscreen wiper prices - Taking the mick? - nellyjak

'eck...£54 .!!...I can only assume they were wearing masks and stripey tops.

I've just renewed the 28" wiper (there is only the one) on my wife's Yaris...A Denso OEM replacement for £21...took 2 minutes to fit.

Could have got cheaper ones but I trust Denso stuff completely.

Edited by nellyjak on 26/10/2017 at 19:52

Windscreen wiper prices - Taking the mick? - RT

I don't know how you guys get high mileage out of wipers - mine only last 10,000 miles.

Windscreen wiper prices - Taking the mick? - Andrew-T

had my wipers replaced for my honda civic 2.2 59 reg bosch aerotwin £18 fitting free of charge

You guys are all getting ripped off. Front pair of wipers for Pug 207 on Ebay for £8.50 (free postage). They aren't OEM but I'm sure they will do the job and last long enough. From China, naturally .....

Windscreen wiper prices - Taking the mick? - FiestaOwner

I'm waiting for JohnF to post that his TR7 is still on it's original wiper blades!

Sorry John, couldn't resist!

Windscreen wiper prices - Taking the mick? - FiestaOwner

On a slightly more serious note.

The Motorcraft wiper blades on my Fiesta have a dot which changes colour to indicate when they need replaced. Think it's UV light activated.

Probably just a scam, to get you to buy new wiper blades more often.

Windscreen wiper prices - Taking the mick? - Galaxy

I just go over the dot, which turns yellow after a period of time, with a permanent black marker.

Works a treat!

Windscreen wiper prices - Taking the mick? - Wackyracer

I usually buy Bosch Super blades but, last time bought Bosch Aero's (retro fit) and I like them alot.

Windscreen wiper prices - Taking the mick? - nick62

I just go over the dot, which turns yellow after a period of time, with a permanent black marker.

Works a treat!

Sounds like the dried peas in my old 2oz tobacco tin, (which i keep in the glovebox)?

When I hear some strange noise on the car I know its just the peas :)

Windscreen wiper prices - Taking the mick? - Engineer Andy

After seeing the extrotionate prices in my local main dealer for their own, and over £30 for them in Halfords, I now always get my pair of windscreen wipers (my saloon doesn't have a rear wiper) solely from Amazon for about £18 or so - occasionally ebay have been a bit (only £1 or so) but have not always been convinced by the authenticity of the sellers, thus, of the product sold - I'd rather get the 100% genuine article from Bosch directly (very good product, mine last about 1-12k miles, or when used on lower mileage, 2 years) rather than risk getting some poor quality knock-off.

Weird why the likes of Halfords sell them at such a high price (even on line), given a) wipers rarely 'suddenly break', meaning you can buy them well in advance of needing to change them over (easy to see when - never wait until they are checked at the MOT), and b) quite a few other products they sell in their shops are priced much more reasonably (still 10-15% more than online or decent indies, but not 50%+ more as they do with wipers).

Windscreen wiper prices - Taking the mick? - argybargy

Another advantage of my Ford Focus, bland and boring though it might have been.

Windscreen wipers front and rear, cheap as chips from Weebay and ridiculously easy to fit. So easy, in fact that at first I thought I must be doing it wrong.

I suppose ridiculously easy fitting also makes them easier to nick, but has anyone here ever had their windscreen wipers stolen?

Windscreen wiper prices - Taking the mick? - madf

Ebay prices currently average around 35% of Halfords. ECP have a Halloween discount ongoing..

What's the fuss? I rarly buy anything from Halfords..

Windscreen wiper prices - Taking the mick? - Cyd

Using ECP's weekend discount code, I just picked up a pair of 23 inch Valeo Aero style blades for my Saab for just £17.

One of the important factors for blade life is to keep the screen clean, especially of grit.

Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru0eyjGcI9c

Windscreen wiper prices - Taking the mick? - veloceman
I does make me cringe when I see folk trying to clear frost from the windscreen using their wipers!