Any - What Car 2017 reliability Study - madf

Reliability for cars 0-3 years old...Not too many surprises...

www.whatcar.com/news/reliability-survey/

Any - What Car 2017 reliability Study - Steveieb

Can understand LR being towards the bottom of the pile .

But im shocked to see Tesla joining them . Shurely shome mistake?

Any - What Car 2017 reliability Study - Engineer Andy

Can understand LR being towards the bottom of the pile .

But im shocked to see Tesla joining them . Shurely shome mistake?

Nope - apparently they (according to reports I've read at least) do go wrong a lot. In my view, they're like Dyson vacs - look flashy and work brilliantly for a time, just not anywhere near as reliable as makes charging (pardon the pun) similar prices for their products or who are selling equivalent products (including IC engined sports saloons).

To me, the technology is still too new to be mature and reliable enough to be a mass market offering. This may soon change, as Tesla are putting a LOT of money and effort into imrpoving each new car the bring out. I'll be interested to see how their mid sized family car does interms of reliability (assuming the quality of the study is good - I'm not wholy convinced yet) in 2-3 years or so.

Any - What Car 2017 reliability Study - Electric Leaper

Alfa Romeo above Honda...who'd have thought it!

Alfa Romeo above Honda...who'd have thought it!

Look at MG..

Some 60% of respondents OWNED cars... vs over 70% buying cars on PCP so a skewed customer base.

Any - What Car 2017 reliability Study - NARU

I gave up buying what car in about 2008, when they continued to rave about the freelander 2 - despite their demonstrator/press freelander being off the road for an extended period with a fault.

LR coming bottom must be a huge dissonance with the adulation the magazine normally gives the brand.

Any - What Car 2017 reliability Study - SLO76
Always have to take these things with a pinch of salt. Type of owner and their expectations and type of use are huge factors and the huge discrepancies between mechanically identical cars like the VW UP! and the Skoda Citygo are difficult to explain away. The Skoda isn't better made or more reliable at all but perhaps their typical customer is easier to please.

Same story with the Toyota Aygo/C1/108 which usually land wildly different scores on these owner satisfaction surveys.
Any - What Car 2017 reliability Study - RT
Always have to take these things with a pinch of salt. Type of owner and their expectations and type of use are huge factors and the huge discrepancies between mechanically identical cars like the VW UP! and the Skoda Citygo are difficult to explain away. The Skoda isn't better made or more reliable at all but perhaps their typical customer is easier to please. Same story with the Toyota Aygo/C1/108 which usually land wildly different scores on these owner satisfaction surveys.

That shows in the Large SUV section - the VW Touareg was marked down to 3rd compared its sibling Porsche Cayenne which was 2nd, simply because fewer repairs were completed in one day - so dealer standards come into it as well.

Any - What Car 2017 reliability Study - argybargy

One possible example of this "skewing" (and I'm not usually inclined to stamp on my own trumpet after someone else has blown it ) is the fact that my example of the B Max, which has apparently topped the MPV reliability category, was driven by its Motability owner to the shops and back, on primarily flat terrain, for the first 23k miles of its life.

Soon as we brought it to hilly North Wales it started exhibiting the classic Powershift symptoms.

Ask that first owner about the B Max: glowing reviews, no doubts. Ask me, and its a game of several halves.

Edited by argybargy on 27/10/2017 at 10:59

Any - What Car 2017 reliability Study - Steveieb

Could the results be skewed by the publishers in view of the fact that they take advertising from these car manufacturers?

Surely they must need to inform their clients about forthcoming adverse reports and possibly react to threats of loss of revenue if they go ahead..

This is the advantage of magazines like Which who do not take advertising revenues except when they charge recommended suppliers for using their logo.

Any - What Car 2017 reliability Study - Engineer Andy

Could the results be skewed by the publishers in view of the fact that they take advertising from these car manufacturers?

Surely they must need to inform their clients about forthcoming adverse reports and possibly react to threats of loss of revenue if they go ahead..

This is the advantage of magazines like Which who do not take advertising revenues except when they charge recommended suppliers for using their logo.

To be honest, when I was looking through some Which? magazines recently when I was looking to repace a broken oven, I had a quick look through their annual Car Review roundup, and they kept on giving BMWs top marks across the board, and many of the Japanese makes came lower, quite a turnaround since only a couple of years ago.

From reading the reviews, I thought they seemed far more biased towards performance, handling and quoted mpg than reliability over at least the first three years (if not longer) and Real mpg. Given some of the cars 'reviewed' are near as damn it the same as they were 2 years ago and produced in the same factories, I'd love to know how their scores changed so much.

In my view, there's less and less fully objective and unbiased car reviews about these days - other than here, you can often get far better reviews from ordinary people doing so on YouTube than so-called 'professional motoring journalists'.

Any - What Car 2017 reliability Study - SLO76
I find most of these magazines largely useless when buying used, especially 3yrs plus. Their used car buying guides tend to miss most of the issues inherent in particular models and all too often advise used buyers to buy cars those in the know would steer you away from. They are however good if you're buying new or nearly new and simply want to know how the car drives and works when in A1 condition and order.
I find most of these magazines largely useless when buying used, especially 3yrs plus. Their used car buying guides tend to miss most of the issues inherent in particular models and all too often advise used buyers to buy cars those in the know would steer you away from. They are however good if you're buying new or nearly new and simply want to know how the car drives and works when in A1 condition and order.

I agree.

LR have MAJOR problems with their new diesel engines: EGR valves/regeneration etc. basically not tested properly before production. See also HJ this week in the DT..

Neighbour of mine worked for local construction company with fleet of LRs in use as company vehicles. horrendous stories of frequent faults..

And it is a fact of life that respondents to surveys LIE = as telling the truth often means admitting you have made a mistake.. Not many people admit to choosing the wrong car.. as it makes them look idiots - no research done, car won't fit in garage, can't park it, and half (?) car buyers don't take a test drive..... (Political pollsters have that problem in spades..)

Edited by madf on 28/10/2017 at 16:21