Diahatsu Sirion - First Car for Daughter - Richieboy56

Looking for some advice please?

I am currently looking to find a first car for my daughter who is coming up to 21 in December. I have been looking at the usual suspects recommended in this forum but I have seen a couple of Diahatsu Sirions at about £1500 with relatively low mileage, good service history, few owners etc.

I understand that these are similar to Yaris mechanicals so i assume they should be reliable, but I note that HJ says that parts are expensive.

Any opinions welcome please?

Diahatsu Sirion - First Car for Daughter - Steveieb
According to Which readers this is the most reliable car ever tested.
Toyota engines and built in Japan , what more could you ask for.
Only reservation check the parts availability as I understand Daihatsu have withdrawn from the Uk.

Is this the same car as the Perodua Mivvi?
Diahatsu Sirion - First Car for Daughter - gordonbennet

Yes, superb car.

Insurance quotes acceptable?

Edited by gordonbennet on 24/10/2017 at 13:13

Diahatsu Sirion - First Car for Daughter - badbusdriver

We had a sirion 1.0se for 3 years from 2006-2009. Brilliant little car, very spacious for its size with a decent boot. Very economical, comfortable seats and performance which (despite what the motoring press would have you believe) is perfectly acceptable.

It shares the same floorpan and running gear as the mk2 yaris (toyota own daihatsu). The engine and gearbox is also (still) used in the 1.0 versions of the citroen C1, peugeot 108 and toyota aygo.

The youngest is getting a bit long in the tooth now though, and it was designed without the insurance considerations of subsequent small cars, so you should get insurance quotes before going ahead with it. I do now realise that insurance costs have more to do than just the insurance group, but bear in mind that the yaris 1.0 is group 2 while the mechanically identical sirion is about group 7 or 8. Also the yaris scored the maximum (at the time) 5 stars in the euro ncap crash tests whereas the sirion was a 4 star. And although the sirion is extremely reliable, the fact that daihatsu are no more in the UK means you may struggle to find replacement body panels or interior trim if needed.

Ultimately, the sirion is a cracking little car, but you may want to consider the mk2 yaris and the C1, 108, aygo as well.

Diahatsu Sirion - First Car for Daughter - galileo

My daughter has a Daihatsu Charade, ( predecessor to the Sirion), she reckons it never does less than 45 mpg, more like 50 on long runs, which it has no problem cruising at 70 on M-ways. Daihatsu spares are not cheap but the only ones she's needed in 5 years are usual service items (brake pads, wipers,oil filters etc.).

Edited by galileo on 24/10/2017 at 16:18

Diahatsu Sirion - First Car for Daughter - SLO76
Good enough little cars, shares much with the second gen Toyota Yaris which it also shares its well tested Daihatsu designed 3cyl 1.0 (C1/107/108/Aygo/Yaris) and Toyota's 1.33 both of which will run reliably well into 6 figures if maintained properly.

They're next to worthless now however due to the slightly awkward styling and lack of availability on some parts, particularly trim and body panels which are either totally unavailable or rather expensive. They pass through auctions for peanuts so don't overpay as even relatively minor body/trim/electronic repairs will write it off through parts cost. Most were owned by elderly drivers so clutch wear and minor body knocks and scuffs are common and with so little value in them poor quality paint repairs are widespread.

Well worth looking at if you can find a low mileage car with full history, this is particularly important on the 1.0 as timing chain failure is quite common on cars that've been neglected. Look underneath for rot on sills, front crossmember and both subframes as it is an older car now.

But on this budget I wouldn't go looking just for one specific car as condition and history are all important so have a shortlist of models to look at.
Diahatsu Sirion - First Car for Daughter - Richieboy56

Thank for all the comments. I have a quote for insurance on a 1.3 Sirion of £776 which seems OK considering her age/inexperience.

Diahatsu Sirion - First Car for Daughter - Engineer Andy

Thank for all the comments. I have a quote for insurance on a 1.3 Sirion of £776 which seems OK considering her age/inexperience.

Worth having a look at a similar specced Yaris on the insurance, as you may find they have a price premium given the availablility of spare parts (engine aside) now that they've pulled out of the UK. Saying that, it would probably mean the price of the car should, in theory, be lower than a similar specced Yaris. Given it will be an older car, you may wish to have a think about that, given a higher number of parts will undoubtedly be requiring replacement over the next few years, just because of its age.

Might be worth looking at a basic Mazda2 mk2 (2007-15) 1.3 petrol, given they are also reliable older cars, but also nice to drive.

Diahatsu Sirion - First Car for Daughter - SLO76
"Might be worth looking at a basic Mazda2 mk2 (2007-15) 1.3 petrol, given they are also reliable older cars, but also nice to drive."

Agree totally. A brilliant little car and a much more modern design. Nicer to drive and safer too but much more in demand so prices for a good one will be notably higher.
Diahatsu Sirion - First Car for Daughter - Happy Blue!

We have had three Sirions in the family. All 1.3 autos. The newest and lowest mileage was written off at six years old and 30,000 miles but looked like new. By contrast the other two (still going) have done about 75,000 miles each at nine and seven years respectively. They are bashed and battered, but have never failed in any way otherthan peripherals (batterty, tyres and the like). In fact the newer of the two drives better than the written off one did.

Strongly recommended.

Not only did Perodua produce a Sirion clone, but so did Subaru with the Justy.