Vauxhall Zafira B - Brake and rear lights not working? - Crook6468

Hi all, my 55 zafira 1.6 life (petrol) has all of a sudden developed an issue I really can't seem to solve.

Everything electrical works perfectly except yesterday I noticed the main brake lights had stopped working, bulbs are fine, all connections I can check easily are good and the high level brake light works? I then realised the rear lights are also not working (same bulbs) as I said everything else is fine, all front lights, hazards all round, fog light and reverse lights.

Any ideas as I'm a bit stuck with this, no fault codes are stored just in case it's in any way relevant.

Thanks in advance for any help received.

Vauxhall Zafira B - Brake and rear lights not working? - elekie&a/c doctor

Check fuses in the engine bay fuse box .Also check those in rear fuse box (if fitted,behind ,left rear panel)

Been there, done that, like I said the high level brake light works but no back (red) lights or main brake lights. I'm looking for advice to save me pulling half the car to pieces! The signal must be getting from the pedal switch to the back but as it's the same bulb running at two different power settings it's not a straight forward fault.

The problem you have here ,is that the pedal switch does not supply power to the high level brake light directly.All lighting functions (and loads of other electrical consumers)are controlled via the can network from the engine bay fuse/distribution unit, and/or the rear electric centre.Does your car have the rear fuse box.?Does the power outlet socket by the handbrake work?

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 20/10/2017 at 18:52

Yes it does have the REC and I had to change the fuse for the lighter socket after doing the tyres the other day so yes that works, as do the rear and boot sockets. If it had twin filament or separate bulbs I'd just run a new wire as I did on a MK1 fog lights a few years back. I forgot to mention that when I first noticed the problem with the brake lights it was O/S not working and N/S flickering, that was yesterday. Today, nothing except the high level one.

Where do I go from here? REC out I assume but what am I looking for as I can't find diagrams of what I need.

Could be a problem with the Rec .diffcult to test without any diagnostic kit.I would try a hard reset.Disconnect battery for 10 mins.Worth a go.If you want a wiring diagram,then try Autodata for a month trial for £10.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 21/10/2017 at 00:20

Ok, so the battery has been off all night. Just put it back on and no joy! Exactly the same as before. Could it possibly be a fault with the light switch on the dashboard? Or the brake switch? If I remove the rec later any ideas what I'm looking for?

Next step would be to remove all the connectors from the rec. Check for any corrosion and/or water damage.Disconnect battery first.Don't think you will get much further without technical help. Is there a tow bar fitted, or evidence of a previous install.?

It has got an aftermarket towbar fitted, the electrical connections are on the opposite side to the rec. I removed the main power supply to it a couple of months ago as it was making a very sorry sounding alarm noise because of a loose connection when my wife was driving. I could disconnect it completely but I can't see how it could have caused any problems? All the connectors on the REC looked it good condition when I looked at it yesterday but I'll take it out in a bit and examine it more thoroughly.

The REC is all cleaned up inside and out and every fuse and relay, the thing is it all looks spot on. No signs of any water or corrosion. If I can't find the fault and rectify it then I'll be hard wiring the brake lights and fitting new hard wired back light bulbs as well? Next job in a bit will be doing my back no good at all as I inspect the brake pedal switch!! Oh the fun I get up too?

Vauxhall Zafira B - Brake and rear lights not working? - Guaras

The problem you have here ,is that the pedal switch does not supply power to the high level brake light directly.All lighting functions (and loads of other electrical consumers)are controlled via the can network from the engine bay fuse/distribution unit, and/or the rear electric centre.Does your car have the rear fuse box.?Does the power outlet socket by the handbrake work?

Mine got the same problem with the rear lights and outlet socket by handbrake does not works... Could you let me know what is the correlation?

If the fuse to the power socket (by handbrake ) is blown ,then this will prevent correct operation of brake lights.

Vauxhall Zafira B - Brake and rear lights not working? - R.Turpin

You have probably fixed it by now but I had exactly the same problem which was caused by water in the big green socket, nearside rear. Dried it out and problem solved.

What a pointlessly complicated lighting system. What was wrong with twin filament stop/tail lights.

Vauxhall Zafira B - Brake and rear lights not working? - Tulloch

I had same problem and after unplugging socket and drying with hair dryer I got my offside lights back but near side still dead.

Vauxhall Zafira B - Brake and rear lights not working? - Barry Homeowner

Thank you for your post. I too had water in the nearside connector with the green hinge thing. It wasnt obviously wet until I removed it. Dried it out and fortunately all back working. Cheers R. Turpin!

Vauxhall Zafira B - Brake and rear lights not working? - Dave 57

Hi all, my 55 zafira 1.6 life (petrol) has all of a sudden developed an issue I really can't seem to solve.

Everything electrical works perfectly except yesterday I noticed the main brake lights had stopped working, bulbs are fine, all connections I can check easily are good and the high level brake light works? I then realised the rear lights are also not working (same bulbs) as I said everything else is fine, all front lights, hazards all round, fog light and reverse lights.

Any ideas as I'm a bit stuck with this, no fault codes are stored just in case it's in any way relevant.

Thanks in advance for any help received.

Checked what Barry (HOME OWONER) said and was spot on water inside the connection dried it out working fine now