Holden - Death of the Commodore :-( - Fishermans Bend

Many a tear will be shed back in the homeland. The grim reaper takes the greatest ever car produced down under, down under, repeat intentional. The NG (some say it stands for no good) Euro Commodore ain't no Commodore.

www.wheelsmag.com.au/features/39-years-of-holden-c...e Great feature along some of Australia's finest roads.

Holden - Death of the Commodore :-( - RT

Many a tear will be shed back in the homeland. The grim reaper takes the greatest ever car produced down under, down under, repeat intentional. The NG (some say it stands for no good) Euro Commodore ain't no Commodore.

www.wheelsmag.com.au/features/39-years-of-holden-c...e Great feature along some of Australia's finest roads.

Is today/tomorrow, depending where you are, the last day of GM/Holden manufacturing in Australia.

Cadillac/Chevrolet pulled out of Europe - Geo/Hummer/Oldsmobile/Pontiac/Saturn/Opel/Vauxhall are all gone - Holden's close to going - GM is rapidily disappearing up it's own orifice.

Edited by RT on 19/10/2017 at 23:35

Is today/tomorrow, depending where you are, the last day of GM/Holden manufacturing in Australia.

Cadillac/Chevrolet pulled out of Europe - Geo/Hummer/Oldsmobile/Pontiac/Saturn/Opel/Vauxhall are all gone - Holden's close to going - GM is rapidily disappearing up it's own orifice.

Last day of manufacturing live.

www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/1710/holdens-last-day-of...e

Holden - Death of the Commodore :-( - Nickdm
A dinosaur, well past its sell-by date. Will only be mourned by a small number of rednecks.

Australia is full of Hyundais, Kias, and Mazda 3s these days.

This the end of ALL car assembly in Oz. Toyota threw in the towel a few weeks back, and the lamentable Ford Falcon ceased production last year...

Australia has too many boring cars now.

Commodore was 5th best seller in September. Ranger and Hi-Lux, 1st and 2nd.

Toyota didn't throw in the towel.

Holden - Death of the Commodore :-( - badbusdriver

2 of my favourite forms of motorsports are the V8 utes and V8 supercars. Particularly the utes (wilder, with more crashes and contact!), but unfortunately, probably because of the winding down of production, this year the amount of utes at each race has been much smaller, boo!. Unlike the V8 supercars, which has a variety of manufacturers (as well as Ford and Holden), the utes only have Ford and Holden.

Holden - Death of the Commodore :-( - alan1302

Australia has too many boring cars now.

Commodore was 5th best seller in September. Ranger and Hi-Lux, 1st and 2nd.

Toyota didn't throw in the towel.

Toyoya threw in the towel of assemebly in Austraila not sales

They didn't throw in the towel AT ALL. Toyota Australia's fate was sealed because the local parts supply base couldn't survive soley on orders for Toyota.

Edited by Fishermans Bend on 20/10/2017 at 15:06

Holden - Death of the Commodore :-( - expat

Nickdm wrote:

>>lamentable Ford Falcon ceased production last year...

I have been running a Falcon station wagon for twelve years now. Great car - cheap to buy secondhand, put it on gas so cheap to run, lots of space and very comfortable for long country driving. I would buy a new one tomorrow if I could. Yes it isn't modern and doesn't have touch screens, bluetooth, soft interior plastics, etc. It is just reliable, comfortable and cheap to run. That is what matters to me.

Holden - Death of the Commodore :-( - macski

From www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/industry/1710/holden-end...a

Holden, the world’s second-oldest transportation company, had almost made it to seven decades, but fell tantalisingly short after announcing three years ago – largely in response to intense government pressure – that it would follow in Ford’s footsteps and quit local manufacturing. The first Holden rolled off the line on November 27, 1948 in a sawtooth-roofed factory a few hundred metres away from where the national sales office now sits; the last one more than 1000 kilometres away on October 20, 2017.

Why did government want the factory closed. Or have I miss read?

Holden - Death of the Commodore :-( - expat

>>Why did government want the factory closed. Or have I miss read?

Ideaology. The government of the time about 5 years ago didn't believe in government handouts for industry. GM wanted government money put in before they would put any of their own in. The Treasurer and the PM stood up in Parliament and publically dared them to close! So they did. As a result there was a great loss of jobs in marginal electorates and the government has had to spend huge money propping up a defence ship building industry in order to try to keep South Australian seats. I assume it makes sense to politicians but I don't understand it.

Holden - Death of the Commodore :-( - Bilboman

The writing seemed to be on the wall back in 2013, when the Australian government ditched its"ageing" fleet of Holden Caprices in favour of imported BMWs. This came two years after the New Zealand government did exactly the same thing.(See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_state_car for more pub quiz trivia!)

Edited by Bilboman on 24/10/2017 at 23:49

Holden - Death of the Commodore :-( - RT

The writing seemed to be on the wall back in 2013, when the Australian government ditched its"ageing" fleet of Holden Caprices in favour of imported BMWs. This came two years after the New Zealand government did exactly the same thing.(See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_state_car for more pub quiz trivia!)

Ironically, Holden started exporting the Caprice to the US in 2013 as the Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle. The Zeta platform, used by Commodore and Caprice was always intended to be used by GM globally and was used for 2010-2015 Chevrolet Camaro but GM North America spent billions developing the Alpha platform instead.