Any - Parking a long Van banned - oldroverboy.

www.thesun.co.uk/news/4691566/residents-banned-par.../

Must say I agree with it, unless the council charges double for aforesaid vehicles. Would owners be happy to pay double, after all they are using the van for a business

Did we not used to pay for cars by lenght on the ferries?

Any - Parking a long Van banned - Manatee

They are presumably trying to run a business without appropriate premises. The neighbours are clearly annoyed, and I am not surprised if they have two 6.9m vans between them.

Somehow driving one of these vans must confer a feeling of having an invisibility cloak. A huge percentage seem to be using a handheld held phone, they park anywhere anytime, and none of them seem to know their speed limits or if they do, they don't care.

I regularly travel back and forth on the 20 miles of continuous dual carriageway between MK and the A1. I set the cruise for a true 70, and I am passed continually by vans of this type doing a much higher speed. Their limit on a dual carriageway IIRC is 60. How do they get away with it? Given they presumably do it day in day out they should all be banned on a totter within 12 months.

Any - Parking a long Van banned - RaineMan

Sometimes I am not sure why some people need such vast vans. I recently past a new house that was being built and the road was nearly blocked by these vans. Some had their rear doors open and most were full of air! Many delivery drivers have vast vans that often seem to have no more than a few small/medium packages in the back. Today's roads are crowded and unneccessarily over large vehices do not help!

Now if only they could ban long vans in all residential areas or 500% surcharge.

That would stop them here in our street.

Colchester is Restricted to 2 permits per business.The cost is not the same as resident

permit parking,

please contact Parking Services for details.

£400 per permit per year.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 16/10/2017 at 16:51

Any - Parking a long Van banned - sandy56

If they wont stop parking in residential streets there is other methods to discourage them.

If they wont stop parking in residential streets there is other methods to discourage them.

Such as? (legal please)

I have written to Colchester Council suggesting a £400 Pa parking permit charge for all commercial vans parked in the borough. regardless that a private car does not need one for unregulated street parking. It is a tax deductible expense anyway.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 16/10/2017 at 17:32

Any - Parking a long Van banned - Engineer Andy

Now if only they could ban long vans in all residential areas or 500% surcharge.

That would stop them here in our street.

Colchester is Restricted to 2 permits per business.The cost is not the same as resident

permit parking,

please contact Parking Services for details.

£400 per permit per year.

I live on a private housing development (not posh - its just that the roads are not adopted [probably deliberately - they knew the 'homezone' type of roads aren't - more on that in a mo]) and we originally had really huge problems with parking, mostly because the development is very near the local station and, originally, the developer/builder didn't mark which were each resident's allocated space(s) and which were visitor spaces, plus (apparently - I'm only getting this third hand) some of the unscrupulous sales staff told prospective buyers they could park anywhere. No parking of any kind on the roads because they aren't wide (homezone) and some are designed to be shared with pedestrians (no paths in some areas).

Needless to say, it was a free for all until the last property was sold and the running of the development passed from developer to residents association (both using a management firm). About 50% of the houses had 2 spaces, the rest and all the flats only one each. The worst offenders were:

• One flat owner had 4 vehicles, including a transit van (no commercial vehicles allowed - its in the lease agreements/TP1s) - some in visitor spots (only about 30 visitor spaces for 130+ properties), some in other people's allocated spaces without permission.
  • One house owner near me (now long gone thank God) had, yes, a LORRY, which he often parked on the road opposite his house (2 spaces, but not big enough for any high sided or long vehicles [deliberately done to stop them]) or even occasionally opposite the parking area for other cars (including mine), meaning we couldn't get in/out.

It got so bad that we were close to one or two fights breaking out, the binmen saying they'd refuse (pardon the pun) to collect if things stayed as they were as they were often blocked from getting through the development, and the emergency services said they wouldn't care if they had to shamsh through cars parked on the road to be able to get to addresses. Something had to be done and quickly.

In the end, once we'd taken over the running/policy making, we had all the spaces marked by number or visitor, wrote officially (and still do to remind/tell newer residents who forget the parking rules in the welcome pack from the management firm) to tell everyone the rules as we interpreted them and how they were going to be enforced, with a parking control firm, using residents and visitor permits. This has been difficult, with some people 'pretending' not to be told of the rules, especially about parking extra (especially when a couple get married and live in the flats, each having a car, or kids growing up and getting one) cars or people with vans thinking they can get away with it, as their larger size blocks people in or are wide that its difficult to get in/out of cars.

Needless to say, its far more difficult to keep on top of all this looking after a private development than the council looking after a public one - the council has vastly more powers to take offenders to court (and to kick them out of their council home or rescind their space) and their traffic/parking wardens are far better (which is really saying something) than the useless oiks doing the same job for private firms.

I have zero sympathy for people who don't bother reading the rules (we make them aware/available before purchase of a property - all local estate/letting agents know) - there are still a reasonable amount of homes (including flats) available for purchase/rent where better parking is available, and as some posters have said, its rare for businesses run from home to need really large vans - its more like the business owner has a bad business plan and uses the van for storage (stupid, given how poor van security is at the rear, and how many easily get broken into these days).

Any - Parking a long Van banned - Smileyman

Did we not used to pay for cars by lenght on the ferries?

I can remember having the car's wheelbase measured when I used the Mont Blanc tunnel ...OK I had disputed the toll band my car was in so they got out the tape measure and proved themselves right (the 3 door version was in the shorter length charge band!)

Any - Parking a long Van banned - SteVee

van parking limits should apply to mobile homes / RVs also. some are enormous and stay at the kerbside for months.