Subaru - Key fob hacking - expat

Another day - another computer problem with cars. This time it is older Subarus

www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/unpatched-e.../

Luckily it seems to require some expertise and equipment to exploit this and it is for older vehicles which one would think are less desired by professional thieves.

Subaru - Key fob hacking - Bolt

certain keyless car systems with remote start are being gotton into using a signal booster and nothing more, booster is put close to the house wall which boosts the signal from remote and opens/starts the car without breaking in to it....just drive off.

easy to prevent by putting remote key into a tin with foil inside, signal cannot get past the tin and car is safe...for a while?

Subaru - Key fob hacking - SteveLee

For the OBDII hacks you can thank the EUSSR whose pro-competition regulations forced manufacturers to publish details of their protocols to the industry - which were bound to end up in the wrong hands.

The more recent emergence of radio boost thefts should be easy to mitigate with a software update, forcing the car to poll the fob more frequently and sound an alarm if the fob doesn't respond. However - for safety reasons engine shutdowns couldn't be forced and fob batteries would require frequent replacement. As someone else has mentioned, a faraday cage for your fobs is the answer to this one!

Subaru - Key fob hacking - FP

Not sure I get this. "Sound an alarm if the fob does not respond."

What if the fob is out of range? That would mean car alarms going off every time people went shopping.

Subaru - Key fob hacking - Bolt

Not sure I get this. "Sound an alarm if the fob does not respond."

What if the fob is out of range? That would mean car alarms going off every time people went shopping.

Not sure I do as the 256 bit coder would just need resyncing to the car if the buttons were pressed enough times, what it needs is a double lock system which needs two presses to disable like some cars do to lock

that couldnt be replicated using signal booster as it cant replicate the two presses