Avensis v Mondeo v Insignia v Passat v 3 series - Moshafi
Which of these cars would be reliable and won't cost much for repairs?
Avensis v Mondeo v Insignia v Passat v 3 series - Graham567

Price,age and budget would help a lot.

Budget £12k maximum, age upto 5 years old Cheers
Avensis v Mondeo v Insignia v Passat v 3 series - badbusdriver

Are we talking petrol or diesel?.

If it's petrol, the avensis would be the most reliable, but I'd throw the mazda6 in there too.

Avensis v Mondeo v Insignia v Passat v 3 series - SLO76

Expected annual mileage? Will it be mostly short distance low speed stop start running or will the bulk of it be distance? Roughly where in the U.K. are you?

Edited by SLO76 on 08/10/2017 at 14:27

Depending on useage, i'd be looking at the prius too.

Also, if you wanted a bit more luxury, a lexus is300 (hybrid)

Edited by badbusdriver on 08/10/2017 at 14:35

Expected annual mileage? Will it be mostly short distance low speed stop start running or will the bulk of it be distance? Roughly where in the U.K. are you?

About 10k annual mileage , mostly short distance low speed stop srart and occasionally motorway, cheers
I'd forget any DPF equipped diesels then, petrol is your only safe bet here which does restrict your options when looking for large cars in this class.

The Mondeo is a good bet with the 1.6 or 2.0 Ecoboost petrol motors. Both are based on older Japanese designs and as long as you maintain a full Ford main dealer history they should prove to be very reliable. The Mondeo is also arguably the best big family car to drive but they lose value rapidly so don't overpay. Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170929978...9

The Mazda 6 2.0 Skyactiv SE would probably be my top pick. No turbocharger to worry about, no timing belt. It drives great, looks good, it's decent on fuel and should be utterly reliable. A brilliant big car. Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170909913...2

The Toyota Avensis is bland but robust. The saloon is a bit ungainly and loses value quickly but there's always demand for the estates especially older examples so it's worth spending a bit more upfront for one. Dull as it gets as far as driver enjoyment is concerned. The 1.8 VVT has a reputation for drinking oil but is largely ok in the 3rd gen cars. Needs regular checking but should otherwise be utterly reliable even if it does need a top up now and then. Most don't. Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170922957...9

Edited by SLO76 on 08/10/2017 at 15:20

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

The Vauxhall Insignia mostly uses diesels which are based on Fiat designs and prone to plenty of woe while the ancient 1.8 petrol is sluggish and thirsty. The relatively rare 1.4 turbo is ok and it's certainly a good big cruiser and good value but again it'll be worthless when you come to sell on. SRi spec is best for resale. Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170909913...5

I don't recommend the BMW 3 series as a used buy at this money. They're not great regarding longterm reliability. I'd stick with mass market manufacturers.

I notice in your other post that rear legroom is a priority. Given that, the obvious choice would be the skoda superb, paired with the manual gearbox and either the 1.4 or 1.8 tsi (150 or 180bhp) petrol engine. It is the most spacious car in its class. Your budget should get you into a 2014 car with >50k miles.

I notice in your other post that rear legroom is a priority. Given that, the obvious choice would be the skoda superb, paired with the manual gearbox and either the 1.4 or 1.8 tsi (150 or 180bhp) petrol engine. It is the most spacious car in its class. Your budget should get you into a 2014 car with >50k miles.

Thanks for your response, much appreciated.
Avensis v Mondeo v Insignia v Passat v 3 series - SteveLee

The Mondeo is the best car for your money, however you could get a nearly new Hyundai i40 with plenty of warranty left for your budget.

Avensis v Mondeo v Insignia v Passat v 3 series - 72 dudes

Not a petrol one, you couldn't! Rare as rocking horse dodoo.

Currently 2 for sale in the whole of the UK under £12k, both estates.

Avensis v Mondeo v Insignia v Passat v 3 series - nellyjak

Go petrol...and go Avensis...OR..a Mazda 6.

Thanks everyone for your advice, i have now narrowed my choices to the Avensis, Insignia and Mondeo, i need a car which has a comfortable ride, decent rear passenger space, reasonably priced and quite reliable. These cars seem to cater for my needs , any advice on which petrol engines will provide good balance of fuel economy and performance. Needs to be petrol because i will be mostly driving in town and occasionally long distance motorway. Cheers
The Mazda is the best car for the money, i'm curious why you left it out? It's the newest design and will hold its value better than the others.

Between the other three it's the Mondeo that is by far the nicest to drive. But all of them will provide comfortable, reliable and spacious transport and there's little to worry about regarding durability. They all use tried and tested engines and gearboxes that rarely go wrong. All things equal I'd have the Mazda 6 2.0 Skyactiv first but the Mondeo 1.6 Ecoboost would be very tempting at the right price.

Edited by SLO76 on 09/10/2017 at 22:53

The Mazda is the best car for the money, i'm curious why you left it out? It's the newest design and will hold its value better than the others. Between the other three it's the Mondeo that is by far the nicest to drive. But all of them will provide comfortable, reliable and spacious transport and there's little to worry about regarding durability. They all use tried and tested engines and gearboxes that rarely go wrong. All things equal I'd have the Mazda 6 2.0 Skyactiv first but the Mondeo 1.6 Ecoboost would be very tempting at the right price.

Thanks mate, i will consider the Mazda 6 as well, I dont see many of them on the road but will probably test drive one, the reviews about the mazda 6 are good, i guess its a good handling car with a good combo of decent performance and Fuel economy . Cheers
Avensis v Mondeo v Insignia v Passat v 3 series - sammy1

What about a Skoda octavia 5 door VRS, family hatchback plenty on Auotrader at reasonable prices Start at about £6k for 11reg top of the range and all the kit 40 mpg on a run

Avensis v Mondeo v Insignia v Passat v 3 series - corax

"About 10k annual mileage , mostly short distance low speed stop srart and occasionally motorway, cheers"

Isn't the above a bit of a waste for that list of relatively large and heavy cars? I would think a lighter mid or small hatchback would be more suitable.

"About 10k annual mileage , mostly short distance low speed stop srart and occasionally motorway, cheers"

Isn't the above a bit of a waste for that list of relatively large and heavy cars? I would think a lighter mid or small hatchback would be more suitable.

Not if you regularly have 4 or 5 tall people in the car, and given the OP has specifically mentioned rear space as being a priority, i'm assuming that to be the case.

Doesn't explain the lack of interest shown regarding the skoda superb though? (which is the most spacious car in it's class and is available with a 1.4 or 1.8 turbo petrol), hey ho, each to there own!

"Doesn't explain the lack of interest shown regarding the skoda superb though? (which is the most spacious car in it's class and is available with a 1.4 or 1.8 turbo petrol), hey ho, each to there own!"

I'll vouch for the big Skoda. It's an excellent big car and highly efficient with the 1.4 TSi motor. It's still unproven regarding longterm reliability but looking at the specs there's nothing much to worry about on the belt driven cars if serviced correctly and VW have made some fantastically reliable turbocharged engines in the past, 1.9 PD TDi and the earlier 1.6 TD from the 80's/90's both fit for 500k upwards.

Though early chain driven TSi and twincharger units are trouble prone at least VAG fixed the issue rather than persevere unlike Ford and PSA. My experience of customer service with VW and Skoda (both the same local dealer) has been top notch to date, I really can't fault manufacturer or dealer.

Edited by SLO76 on 10/10/2017 at 19:06

Not if you regularly have 4 or 5 tall people in the car, and given the OP has specifically mentioned rear space as being a priority, i'm assuming that to be the case.

Doesn't explain the lack of interest shown regarding the skoda superb though? (which is the most spacious car in it's class and is available with a 1.4 or 1.8 turbo petrol), hey ho, each to there own!

Exactly, i will regularly have grown ups in the car, so rear space needs to be adequate for 2 adults to sit comfortably in the back and occasionally 3 in the back, occasionally for long distance journeys. The Skoda Superb is on my shortlist. Cheers
Avensis v Mondeo v Insignia v Passat v 3 series - corax

Missed that bit!

Thank you everyone for your valuable feedback.
Much appreciated, after doing some research and receiving feedback from you guys , i have now
Shortlisted these cars,
Mazda 6
Ford Mondeo
Skoda Superb.
The Skoda superb , no doubt is a great car, most spacious for rear passengers , big boot, comfortable cruiser, good fuel economy from the 1.4 TSI engine
Ford Mondeo, spacious , very comfortable ride, and keen handling
But it is the Mazda 6 which i'm most excited about, its got adequate rear space, reliable petrol engine, comfortable ride, but what tempts me to buying this car is also the stylish looks and driving dynamics, it will probably be the most enjoyable to drive.
CHEERS

Edited by Moshafi on 11/10/2017 at 01:07

Avensis v Mondeo v Insignia v Passat v 3 series - nellyjak

Out of those 3, I would say you would be making the right choice.

Mazda.!

Out of those 3, I would say you would be making the right choice.

Mazda.!

Thanks

Edited by Moshafi on 11/10/2017 at 09:20