ALTEA SE TDI (105)/ 2011 - 1.6TDI - 89000miles - issues with Seat Altea - diesel Auto - not moving - kaleem

Hi All,

I purchased seat altea diesel automatic from auction, it was all fine, took it to mechanic, he done his checks and full service. after full service it worked fine with no issues.

I took it to Car Wash for full valet, they done all cleaning and full inside out and engine wash. since then car is not moving. car starts fine no warning, when you put into gear, Drive Neutral or Reverse, it shows on display the gear, when you let off the break, a spanner starts flasing where gear sign is in and shos gear then spanner then gear and keeps changing.

car doesnt move at all, turned off, power back, tried all but to no avail. mechanic came and said it coudl be machatronic failure..on diagnostics it shows error "P189C" and a big job.

has anyone else experienced this or any advice would be great.

thanks

ALTEA SE TDI (105)/ 2011 - 1.6TDI - 89000miles - issues with Seat Altea - diesel Auto - not moving - elekie&a/c doctor

I guess this is a DSG gearbox.(known as the Doesn't Shift Gears).Check the fuses in the engine bay fuse box.You may find a green 30 amp fuse blown.If this is the case,then I would suspect an internal fault within the gearbox.Sadly ,not a cheap fix,and probably why it was in the auction.

ALTEA SE TDI (105)/ 2011 - 1.6TDI - 89000miles - issues with Seat Altea - diesel Auto - not moving - SLO76
No offence but this is yet another case of not doing your homework before buying. Be especially wary when buying at auction and remember that anything that's not lease/fleet disposal is there for a reason.

Don't touch a complex automated manual like VAG's DSG gearbox when shopping on a tight budget and I would leave diesel well alone at this sort of money too. Sadly it's highly likely you'll be left to learn a very painful and costly lesson here. If you can get it moving under its own steam, even if it's only able to select one gear then get it to auction and flog it. If it needs a gearbox then it'll cost more than the car is worth and rebuilds on these are hugely costly too. Hopefully it's something simple but even if it is I'd still advise getting shot of it quickly, a DSG box is on borrowed time at this mileage.

Edited by SLO76 on 07/10/2017 at 15:31

ALTEA SE TDI (105)/ 2011 - 1.6TDI - 89000miles - issues with Seat Altea - diesel Auto - not moving - sammy1

Engine wash, what could this be, could water or solvents got into the gearbox electrics??

ALTEA SE TDI (105)/ 2011 - 1.6TDI - 89000miles - issues with Seat Altea - diesel Auto - not moving - daveyjp
Engine wash probably means an engine bay clean, no doubt done using a high pressure jetwash. Loads of potential for water to get where it shouldn’t.

However it could also be a DSG problem which will be expensive to fix.