1.6 tdi golf - Wont tick over or idle!!!!! - Roy Brown

my 1.6 tdi was going perfect until i noticed to day at a roundabout it nearly died out, I put it into neutal and revved it and the 'misfire' went away. Whilst driving further down the road the glow plug light started to flash.

Once I came to a near stop at my house to put it into reverse to go into my driveway it died out. Started it again but would barely tick over and had white smoke from exhaust? The egr has been deleted although the unit is still there

I scanned the car and no fault codes. Injector problem?

1.6 tdi golf - Wont tick over or idle!!!!! - RichardW

Filled it with petrol?

1.6 tdi golf - Wont tick over or idle!!!!! - Peter.N.

Its most probably the fuel line pressure dropping below the acceptable limit, could well be a leaky injector pulling it down, try doing a leak off test.

Definitly diesel in it.

Tried injector test there working, asked family friend who is a car dealer and he said he's had a few that had injector problems but still ran!

My dpf has been gutted out and remapped to suit, but my mechanic seems to think it could be something loged in the exhaust as when the throttle is pressed nothing/very little happens!

1.6 tdi golf - Wont tick over or idle!!!!! - Big John

How has the EGR been deleted? just mapped?

EGR flap could have moved if it hasn't been mechanically blanked off

1.6 tdi golf - Wont tick over or idle!!!!! - Cyd

What year is the car and how many miles has it done?

Has it ever had a new fuel filter? If it's garage serviced (or you're following manufacturer's schedule), then probably not?

I've noticed that many OEs no longer specify any fuel filter change in the life of their cars. VW are one. I made a video about it using my son's Polo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aZLTbG993Y&t=80s

1.6 tdi golf - Wont tick over or idle!!!!! - gordonbennet

Nice one Cyd, that filter would be making the pump work for its living constantly as well causing fel starving issues when faster fuel supply is required or indeed if the pump is mechanical at idle speed when it can't provide an even gentle flow through that mass of muck.

People should not assume that what is stated in the handbook regarding service requirements is in their, the owners that is, best interests, in too many cases its not, common sense applies.

Fuel filter was changed whenever I got the car 6months ago and I also changed it as recent as a few weeks ago (would have done 500 miles since then) Looking at the history it has been changed before that also

The EGR has been mapped out, I know lots of people where they have only mapped it out but I will double check tomorrow what way the flap is

I feel like it is pointing towards an exhaust system issue somehwere along it. Could it be one of the sensors on the exhaust?

Exhaust removed - No better. No fault codes?

bump