1.6tdi SE DSG - 68k mileage - VW Golf Servicing - privateinvestor

Since buying may car at 10k - one year old. I had a VW serive package (waste of money). I had persisted on an intermediate oil change between VW long life service. On average its had oil change every 6K with oil to VW spec (Quantum 5w30). I get at trade price so it works out at £18 per bottle (5l).

My attention is know towards the colloing system since it has the same anti freeze mix since new, should I get it changed (mileage 68K). or wait for the cambelt water pump change at circa 85k.

Cam belt needs changing every 5years and or 140k, I think Ill get it done at 5 years when it hits around 85k mileage.

Does the power steering need a service? like a flush?

Car is mostly driven on motorways and dual carriageways

any advice appreciated.

thank you

1.6tdi SE DSG - 68k mileage - VW Golf Servicing - RobJP

Don't these have electric power steering ? In which case no fluid to change.

I'd leave the coolant change until you get the cambelt / water pump done.

1.6tdi SE DSG - 68k mileage - VW Golf Servicing - gordonbennet

I agree with the above, if the steering is hydraulic then it will cost only a few quid to change the oil a couple of times over the course of a few days, sucking the old oil out with a clean transmission oil can would do the trick for easy DiY.

Which is a timely reminder as i've been meaning to do this on both our cars with hydraulic power steering.

1.6tdi SE DSG - 68k mileage - VW Golf Servicing - madf

Our 2003 yaris is on its original power steering fluid..and auxiliary drive belt and all hoses...

1.6tdi SE DSG - 68k mileage - VW Golf Servicing - John F

Our 2003 yaris is on its original power steering fluid..and auxiliary drive belt and all hoses...

So's our 2000 125,000m Ford Focus. It might have had the brake fluid changed in 2007 when they found/caused a leaky rear brake cylinder when a duff wheel bearing was replaced...or it might not. The only fluids which have been renewed are the engine oil and windscreen wash. All plastic and rubbery bits (belts, boots and bushes) are original.

Keep up, VW - you should have learnt to make a family car with components that last its lifetime with minimal 'servicing' by now.

Bear in mind that motoring recommendations from John F basically involve leaving everything alone until the car falls apart. His tyre 'advice' in particular is terrifying.

1.6tdi SE DSG - 68k mileage - VW Golf Servicing - John F

Bear in mind that motoring recommendations from John F basically involve leaving everything alone until the car falls apart.

Absolute rubbish. My TR7 has never gone more than 6,000m without an oil change. I check our other cars properly at least annually with attention to brake pipes and rusty discs. Our 17yr old Focus has regular attention to potentially rusty subframes and gets the occasional squirt of high temperature paint to its original exhaust. It shows no sign of 'falling apart' after 125,000m and gets an oil and filter change every 10,000m.

Pay attention, RobJP

His tyre 'advice' in particular is terrifying.

?? details, please. I continue to contend that there is nothing much wrong with an old tyre just because it is old. (Or indeed oil). As long as you are aware that it will have hardened up a bit after a decade or so and drive accordingly, they are reasonably safe. They have a very low pressure compared to bicycle tyres. If age was a concern, it would be reflected in the MoT requirements, which are pretty strict by international comparison.

As long as you are aware that it will have hardened up a bit after a decade or so and drive accordingly, they are reasonably safe.

I rest my case. He's basically admitting that the rubber compounds will have 'gone off' after a decade, and, no matter how much tread depth is showing, the tyre will no longer 'grip' as it was designed to do - because the rubber compound has perished and degraded - and yet he still thinks it perfectly sensible to keep on using them - for another decade or more.

Then again, I suppose that as long as you drive really, really slowly everywhere, and take corners at a crawl, then it'd be fine.

God help you in an emergency situation though - although he'll probably come back and say that there are no emergency situations, just poor planning ...

1.6tdi SE DSG - 68k mileage - VW Golf Servicing - Avant

John's view on oil changes can be debated (and have been); but I've no doubt that what he does suits his cars and the use he puts them to.

The same might be true about tyres for his particular circumstances, but I really would urge anyone reading this thread not to use old tyres unless, as Rob says, their use is very strictly limited. In addition to the issue of grip, or lack of it, an elderly sidewall is going to be more susceptible to blowouts. At higher speeds a blowout could lead to a fatality.