Renault Clio Dynamique - What to look for when buying an older Renault Clio - George Cosmo Cattell
On Tuesday I’m picking up a 2004 Renault Clio Dynamique 1.6. Its done 65k, apparently runs perfect are has no major faults. Price is £395 due to the fact that it has no M.O.T. Mot history for the last few years is perfect. I’m buying from a garage who have said they know no reason why it would fail an mot and they have great review and testimonials on their website. This has given me a fair amount of confidence in buying the car and risking getting it motd straight after.

All I would like to know is what I should be looking out for when I go to view and test drive the car. I virtually no nothing apart from the basics so a rough guide of how to spot any major potential problem with the car that would mean I shouldn’t buy it would be great. I am happy to pay a little bit should it fail the mot as I think it’s undervalued but probably no more than £200-£300.

Thanks a lot!
Renault Clio Dynamique - What to look for when buying an older Renault Clio - badbusdriver
On Tuesday I’m picking up a 2004 Renault Clio Dynamique 1.6. Its done 65k, apparently runs perfect are has no major faults. Price is £395 due to the fact that it has no M.O.T. Mot history for the last few years is perfect. I’m buying from a garage who have said they know no reason why it would fail an mot and they have great review and testimonials on their website. This has given me a fair amount of confidence in buying the car and risking getting it motd straight after. All I would like to know is what I should be looking out for when I go to view and test drive the car. I virtually no nothing apart from the basics so a rough guide of how to spot any major potential problem with the car that would mean I shouldn’t buy it would be great. I am happy to pay a little bit should it fail the mot as I think it’s undervalued but probably no more than £200-£300. Thanks a lot!

The fact that you are picking the car up on Tuesday suggests you have already bought it. If so, asking now what to look for seems a little pointless?

Renault Clio Dynamique - What to look for when buying an older Renault Clio - gordonbennet

This reminds me of adverts featuring the immortal words, aircon needs a regas.

Why would the garage sell the car cheaply when £35 (trade price) will put an MOT on it and they could get another £350/500 on top, unless this is so far from their normal stock which they've taken as trade in and just want shut of it.

I hope it does pass easily for you.

Renault Clio Dynamique - What to look for when buying an older Renault Clio - Avant

What should you be looking for?

Easy - a fresh MoT which even a private seller would be likely to get before selling the car. A garage has no excuse not to: if they refuse, walk away.

Renault Clio Dynamique - What to look for when buying an older Renault Clio - FiestaOwner
On Tuesday I’m picking up a 2004 Renault Clio Dynamique 1.6. Its done 65k, apparently runs perfect are has no major faults. Price is £395 due to the fact that it has no M.O.T. Mot history for the last few years is perfect. I’m buying from a garage who have said they know no reason why it would fail an mot and they have great review and testimonials on their website. This has given me a fair amount of confidence in buying the car and risking getting it motd straight after. All I would like to know is what I should be looking out for when I go to view and test drive the car. I virtually no nothing apart from the basics so a rough guide of how to spot any major potential problem with the car that would mean I shouldn’t buy it would be great. I am happy to pay a little bit should it fail the mot as I think it’s undervalued but probably no more than £200-£300. Thanks a lot!

The only reason I can think of that the garage is selling it without an MOT, is that they know it will need a lot of money spent on it to pass. The car could well be scrap.

As you say you “virtually no nothing apart from the basics”, I'd look for a car with a current MOT. Preferably with a full year to run.

Regarding the garage's reviews and testimonials. They might be genuine. But they might only put the good ones on their website!

Renault Clio Dynamique - What to look for when buying an older Renault Clio - SLO76
Without an Mot it's worth no more than the scrap value of around £50. If it would be an easy pass then the garage would simply do it themselves and list it at £995 with a years ticket.

These are prone to snapped timing belts too which need changed every 5yrs and I'll bet this one is well overdue. I wouldnt have touched it, I certainly wouldn't have paid £400 for it - the dealer won't have given more than £100 and they will have had a look at it to see what it needs for an Mot and deemed it unviable.
Renault Clio Dynamique - What to look for when buying an older Renault Clio - nellyjak

As above...highy dubious and not a vehicle I would be buying or even considering....look elsewhere.!

If you haven't already bought it...then don't.!

Having previously spent a decade in the Motor Trade (MG/Rover/Kia) I can easily visualise the truth of the situation..and as for testimonials.?..well, unless you have personally dealt with the dealer previously....or know someone who has..then they should be treated with some caution.

Edited by nellyjak on 17/09/2017 at 10:29

Renault Clio Dynamique - What to look for when buying an older Renault Clio - Andrew-T

The doom-mongers here are probably correct but not betting men. You have checked the car's MoT history which looks OK. I assume you have looked over the car for condition and damage. Is there any documentation? If the garage will take the car for a good run to show you that it works, you could make them an offer just short of derisory and pick up a bargain. Then take it to a garage you trust and get them to do everything (within reason) which needs doing. If that would cost too much, sell to WeBuyAny... and you won't be much out of pocket.

If the seller won't put an MoT on it for you, then you should back off.

Edited by Andrew-T on 17/09/2017 at 10:45

Renault Clio Dynamique - What to look for when buying an older Renault Clio - oldroverboy.

If you have not already paid anything, tell the garage to MOT it and you will pay the MOT, if it passes, but if not walk away.

Renault Clio Dynamique - What to look for when buying an older Renault Clio - 72 dudes

As all of the above.

The ad says "Part exchange to clear. Will be sold as is"

I didn't think a trader was allowed to state this - SLO??

That sentence would be enough to put me off, even at £400.

But I hope it's a bargain and you can get it thought the MOT reasonably cheaply. Please come back next week and let us know.

Renault Clio Dynamique - What to look for when buying an older Renault Clio - SLO76

As all of the above.

The ad says "Part exchange to clear. Will be sold as is"

I didn't think a trader was allowed to state this - SLO??

That sentence would be enough to put me off, even at £400.

But I hope it's a bargain and you can get it thought the MOT reasonably cheaply. Please come back next week and let us know.

Regarding older trade-ins like this, I certainly wouldn't sell anything without an Mot or a safety checkover by myself (if it didn't meet my standards it heads for scrap or auction) but anything under £1,000 has got to be sold as seen thanks to the wholly unrealistic expectations of buyers. I give people the choice of buy it as is (at private/trade money) or pay retail price which will be between £500 & £1,000 more which will cover a personal warranty and service. No one buying a sub £1k motor takes this option but they need to understand that it is a bargain basement car and that they cannot expect it to be perfect and not to be without fault within the first 6mths. You'd be amazed at how daft some buyers can be at this price point. I had one threatening me over a £300 Fiat Uno once that needed a back box after 2mths!!! All sub £1k cars are sold as seen and anyone promising a warranty without charging heavily for it is lying to you. Anyone viewing such a car with me that I believe has unrealistic expectations is politely told not to buy it. The dealer in this case should with Mot it or scrap it. If he lets someone drive it away while it has no Mot or is (as I suspect) unfit for the road he could be held liable by the police for allowing it. It's not a risk I'd take.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/09/2017 at 18:36

Renault Clio Dynamique - What to look for when buying an older Renault Clio - Terry W

Buying a 13 year old car is a risk. The following day it may simply be junk - worth scrap value only. Having bougbt old cars (Clio) for daughher there I would walk away from anything which:

- did not have at least 6 months MOT

- did not drive like a decent example 3-5 years newer (smoothly, gears slick, engine smooth, no suspension or steering clunks snd noises.

Prices for basic teplacements shuld be low through DIY or independent. But budget for a basic service unless there is clear evidence this has already been done, or you are happy to simply drive it till it drops.