c class 2.0cdi - dpf or no dpf - scfc_151

Hi. Im considering a c class or e class estate if i can afford.

I have always driven diesels but dont want a car with a dpf. My budget will allow for something around 2007-2009 age.

Does anyone know if the c class or e class around this age has dpf on or not?

thanks

c class 2.0cdi - dpf or no dpf - RobJP

Some do, some don't. It was optional for a few years.

However, if your budget is tight, buying a 'premium' brand at 8-10 years old is an act of idiocy.

c class 2.0cdi - dpf or no dpf - SLO76
It was standard for a while then deleted (as it was so troublesome) then it was an option. Only way to be 100% sure is to physically look for it. I believe there's a website that allows you access to the build card details which should list it but my link isn't working anymore.

As already mentioned however, it's highly unwise to buy a premium badge diesel car on a tight budget. Parts are expensive and these are prone to loads of common issues while they are nowhere near the quality of earlier Mercs. They're far less reliable than more mainstream brands and I'd personally be looking at a petrol Honda Accord, Toyota Avensis, Mazda 6 or even Ford Mondeo.

If your annual mileage is high and you do a lot of distance driving and simply must have a diesel then again the Accord, Civic and Avensis (avoiding the later BMW engines) make much more sense.

What sort of budget do you have?

Edited by SLO76 on 14/09/2017 at 12:28

thanks for the replies although an act of idocy could have been put more politely.

I take your point about the brands being expensive to repair. However every brand I look into has common faults. Im struggling to find something that on paper at least is reliable.

I have always been told that the c class and e class were good quality cars and reliable?

forgot to mention. it doesnt have to be diesel I have just always driven them and prefer the torque to a petrol. Hence why I was looking for something with no dpf

I just envisaged a petrol estate costing a fortune to run

my budget will be around 5k

forgot to mention. it doesnt have to be diesel I have just always driven them and prefer the torque to a petrol. Hence why I was looking for something with no dpf

sorry not sure why that just reposted

c class 2.0cdi - dpf or no dpf - RobJP

My apologies. I'd edited my post before putting it up, and had changed "to be horribly blunt, an act of stupidity", and altered it to "an act of idiocy".

By trying to be less rude than normal, I was actually more rude !

As I say, my apologies.

I can entirely understand your want for a diesel, they just drive much more nicely than a petrol on that 'wall' of torque.

However, as SLO says, these are pretty complex machines, and really don't do well running on a tight budget. You'd probably get a hell of a lot more Mondeo diesel estate for your money.

Also, bear in mind that, with all the emissions control equipment on modern diesels, one fault can wipe out 2-3 years worth of fuel savings. Add that to the fact that a petrol version is usually cheaper to buy, and the overall savings from running a cheaper-to-fuel diesel start to look very small indeed.

What sort of annual mileage do you do, and what sort of driving is it (mostly Town, mostly motorway, etc) ?

c class 2.0cdi - dpf or no dpf - daveyjp

E250 or C250 petrol has about 200bhp. MPG won't be up there with the diesel, but the potential problems are less.

£5k isn't enough to buy a good Mercedes C class diesel I'm afraid. It'll be a total money pit. Where roughly in the country do you live and I'll take a look at alternatives I'd recommend?
My driving is mixed between a shirt to and from work journey and regular jaunts out with the family. Theres a long run at least once or twice a week. I live in staffordshire. Id be happy to consider petrol options too.
Without delving into Mot histories and obviously I haven't looked at them in the metal, here's a few that caught my eye. I'd stick with petrol for reliability but big estates do suit a diesel motor.

No DPF in the old 1.8 Ford TDCi and looked after properly they can do 250k but DMF is a common failure (£1200) and it's due a timing belt and water pump at 10yrs. Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170610630...2

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170816838...7

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170512538...9

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170731787...7

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170908910...2

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170907906...1

Thanks for the time spent looking at these. Funnily enough I looked at the avensis and mondeo too. Presumaby the other diesels other than ford 1.8 have dpfs?

Thanks for the time spent looking at these. Funnily enough I looked at the avensis and mondeo too. Presumaby the other diesels other than ford 1.8 have dpfs?

The Volvo's do and I'm pretty sure the 3rd gen 2.0 D4D Avensis had it from the off in 2009. It's part of the risk if you want a modern diesel. Yes you'll save a couple of hundred quid a year in fuel but a new DPF will hit you for around £1k and a DMF (diesels are much more prone to this) will Hoover around £1,200 off you. At under £5k and with your usage it's unlikely a diesel will save you money but if you like the pulling power then it's all part of the risk. Buy a petrol Avensis or an Accord and you'll never have any bother but if you must have more go then factor in the reality that it's gonna sting you at some point. The Avensis 2.0 diesel is a much more modern and refined motor than the old Ford 1.8 TDCi but the Ford is a much nicer thing to drive in every other regard. I'd certainly take a look at the big Ford but keep a contingency fund in place for the inevitable big bill.
c class 2.0cdi - dpf or no dpf - Peter.N.

If you dont mind driving an older car get a Peugeot 406 diesel, in my opinion they are the most reliable car on the planet, the 8 valve Hdi engine is virtually bombproof and has no DPF it will also do 60 mpg driven carefully, and they are very cheap.

Edited by Peter.N. on 18/09/2017 at 11:47

cant argue with that Peter. My dad had one of those and the car im currently driving into the ground is a 2001 306 hdi with 219000 miles.

I like the look of the accord (albeit not the biggest estate around) but I think ill be looking at petrols. I like the avensis too. I have a auris estate but the 1.6 petrol is very flat and part of the reason for selling. I think ill get one with a turbo next time