My van is daily 35s11 xlwb 2002 2.8 high top - Urgent advice needed re brake on a van - cyberfruits

Hi
My van is daily 35s11 xlwb 2002 2.8 high top

I am not sure what it is called, but there is a unit on the van which detects how much weight the van caries, that is disconnected i have just loading the van to the maximum, my question is does it now always think it it is fully laden and therefore the brakes will work now fully on the back or will it think, as it is disconnected, that the van is empty and only break a little on the rear and mostly on the front, which would be bad and i am going to Scotland Sunday with no time to fix it.
any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

My van is daily 35s11 xlwb 2002 2.8 high top - Urgent advice needed re brake on a van - RichardW

It's there for a reason, and is an MOT fail if not working. Unless you want to end up pointing the wrong way, on its roof, or worse buried in someonelse's car, then either fix it or take something else!!

My van is daily 35s11 xlwb 2002 2.8 high top - Urgent advice needed re brake on a van - gordonbennet

It should be fairly obvious how the thing works, just work out what's not connected and which way the ''load sensing valve'' rod should move, usually they are mounted up on the chassis out of harms way with a simple rod connecting to the rear axle, as the rear springs compress the rod pushes the valve lever upwards.

A search online might produce some pics so you could make some temporary adjusting rod up, if that proves impossible then if it were me i'd cable tie the lever into the position it should be for the journey, and don't forget to alter this when the weight changes, i'd err on the side of less braking at the rear than more, but if you are fully loaded then minimal rear braking would not be good, possibly leading to front brake fade under heavy or polonged braking if loaded well.

If you have a quiet slippery road nearby you could do a quick experiment to see how moving the lever affects braking, better an hour sorting this than have an easily avoidable accident.

I've had to resecure load sensing fitments on lorries on the road during journeys to keep them working correctly, i used to keep a stock of large elastic bands which were in fact oversize bands cut from old inner tubes, which were the staple securing device for lorry trailer number plates of yore, these make good temporary felixible bindings.

Edited by gordonbennet on 26/08/2017 at 10:43

My van is daily 35s11 xlwb 2002 2.8 high top - Urgent advice needed re brake on a van - cyberfruits

It should be fairly obvious how the thing works, just work out what's not connected and which way the ''load sensing valve'' rod should move, usually they are mounted up on the chassis out of harms way with a simple rod connecting to the rear axle, as the rear springs compress the rod pushes the valve lever upwards.

A search online might produce some pics so you could make some temporary adjusting rod up, if that proves impossible then if it were me i'd cable tie the lever into the position it should be for the journey, and don't forget to alter this when the weight changes, i'd err on the side of less braking at the rear than more, but if you are fully loaded then minimal rear braking would not be good, possibly leading to front brake fade under heavy or polonged braking if loaded well.

If you have a quiet slippery road nearby you could do a quick experiment to see how moving the lever affects braking, better an hour sorting this than have an easily avoidable accident.

I've had to resecure load sensing fitments on lorries on the road during journeys to keep them working correctly, i used to keep a stock of large elastic bands which were in fact oversize bands cut from old inner tubes, which were the staple securing device for lorry trailer number plates of yore, these make good temporary felixible bindings.

thanks for the helpfull reply

My van is daily 35s11 xlwb 2002 2.8 high top - Urgent advice needed re brake on a van - hardway

Brake pressure differential valve.

And it needs it to be fully functional,

ESPECIALLY as you've fully loaded it.

Your now basically an accident waiting to happen

And it will.

As far as the brakes are concerned it will try to brake as if it was empty and I guess you'll find out what happes then from a ditch if your lucky.

Get it fixed.