Mazda 6 saloon sport 165 ps petrol - Mazda 6 sport 2 ltr Petrol mpg trip report - nailit

Mazda 2.0 ltr Petrol 165 ps saloon, fully loaded up boot and with ¾ tank full of petrol but two people only.

A trip of 150 miles 'indicated' an astonishing 51.7 mpg. even with 4% calibration error equates to 49.6 so I'm well happy as they say. I have checked from brim to brim in the past and the error rate is <4% . Yes I am light footed but not ridiculously so, and go with the flow, I chose a quiet route that certainly paid off. I was not going for a record as such, just a pleasant drive (read letting all the rush overtake if they need to, we were not in a rush, but not slowing traffic neither).

Details;

The trip started heading east with country B road, then dual carriageway, onto A30/A303. Then off at Wincanton, down past Templecombe, on A30 to Shaftsbury, Wilton, Salisbury, south A36 into Hampshire.

I did keep a steady pace obviously and the smaller roads help, the dual carriageways meant reasonable pace but I kept below a max of 75 mph. A nice flow with quiet traffic and countryside route obviously favoured the mpg. I would recommend this route especially to avoid the single carriageway sections on the A303.

The return trip was terrible with traffic (different route all a303 A36sat in queues for 35 mins) and together with a quicker pace 75 to 80 at times caused the average mpg 'indicated' to drop to 48mpg overall return trip of around 350 miles total.

These figures are in what used to be diesel territory, I have noticed that modern diseasals mpg are not as good as they used to be (pre dpf), because of frequent re-gens to clear the DPF.?

Negatives;

On Halden Hill with 3 lanes I had to change down a gear as power does go if you don't keep the revs up, wouldn't have happened so drastically if slow cars allowed faster cars to pass.

Generally around home mainly trips to and fro shopping etc. I get 43/44 mpg and that is brim to brim fuel measure, it can go down but not under 41, no commuting, avoid traveling around rush hour etc.

I hope this post gives a reasonable account of running a modern 2 ltr petrol N/Aspirated large saloon, and I have stated measurements to be either 'indicated' or brim to brim, however to recommend it for commuting I can't as I haven't.

I should add that air conditioning was on, but it does not appear to make any difference to mpg, probably due to the Capacitor that provides the electric?

PS my next trip is worth a more spirited drive shall I say (if SWMBO is not present).

Edited by nailit on 20/08/2017 at 14:52

Mazda 6 saloon sport 165 ps petrol - Mazda 6 sport 2 ltr Petrol mpg trip report - SLO76
Another positive report on one of my favourite big cars. I intend on replacing our leased Honda CRV with a used 6 Estate hopefully with the same engine next year. It's a better big car to drive by a country mile and not far off economy wise by the look. I'm quite a relaxed driver and on a run our CRV gets 56-60mpg.
Mazda 6 saloon sport 165 ps petrol - Mazda 6 sport 2 ltr Petrol mpg trip report - Avant

The comments about petrol Mazdas being gutless at low revs are usually made about the 122 bhp version. So the 165 may be a lot better.

Nailit - you say 'I had to change down a gear as power does go if you don't keep the revs up': what's it like pootling in town or on narrow country lanes?

Mazda 6 saloon sport 165 ps petrol - Mazda 6 sport 2 ltr Petrol mpg trip report - SLO76
"The comments about petrol Mazdas being gutless at low revs are usually made about the 122 bhp version. So the 165 may be a lot better."

You're thinking of the 3 which comes with a 120PS (118bhp) version of this engine Avant, the 6 only comes with 145PS and 165PS which in day to day driving there's little difference. It's no rocket ship in the midrange but for most drivers it'll tootle along fine and the excellent Mazda gearbox is no chore to change down anyway.
Mazda 6 saloon sport 165 ps petrol - Mazda 6 sport 2 ltr Petrol mpg trip report - Engineer Andy
"The comments about petrol Mazdas being gutless at low revs are usually made about the 122 bhp version. So the 165 may be a lot better." You're thinking of the 3 which comes with a 120PS (118bhp) version of this engine Avant, the 6 only comes with 145PS and 165PS which in day to day driving there's little difference. It's no rocket ship in the midrange but for most drivers it'll tootle along fine and the excellent Mazda gearbox is no chore to change down anyway.

A real shame that Mazda UK have never thought of using the 2.5 ltr petrol version of the engine in the 3 and above in the UK, as they do Down Under and in the US/Canada. When mated with that engine, their cars get far more spritely (power around the 180-185PS mark, similar to the 2.2 diesel), still ok mpg at about high 30s - 40 (real, similar to the 'uprated' 2.0 165) combined according to reviews. They can probably do fine on the CO2 as well I suspect unless you go for the auto version.

Mazda 6 saloon sport 165 ps petrol - Mazda 6 sport 2 ltr Petrol mpg trip report - nailit

"Nailit - you say 'I had to change down a gear as power does go if you don't keep the revs up': what's it like pootling in town or on narrow country lanes?"

Avant, it's fine in town and country lanes, that hill on the A38 Holden (Halden? not sure) is a beast and most cars change down except for high end cars or powerful diesels. I would have been ok but for having to slow as I racing up there in 5th anyway and a t*** started to undertake as I had to brake hard. I'm confident it would go up in 6th if the lanes were quiet and if kept at decent revs and/or 80 mph.

In the Mazda 6 forum a chap often states his petrol sport pootles around roundabouts in 6th and still seems ok to pull away. Now I'm not into that but it is great at 30 mph in 5th even with slight inclines, I have said before that it is very diesel like with low down pull, which is odd when a certain forum member on here quotes real torque figures. But I haven't delved deep into technical torque/performance statistic tables, so can't argue/debate figures.

Around country lanes A and B roads it is similar to a diesel you get very good mpg and it's certainly fast enough. I'm not into overtaking for fun as it is a big car, I've not checked but it appears larger than a BMW 5 series. It's a cruiser but does feel like you can chuck it around, now whether one would want to is another matter, I would buy a MX 5 for that. So country lanes, A roads, motorway cruising, these are the probably where to use this car, but who knows perhaps commuting too, but the mpg will go down but just how far.

BTW I have used only supermarket fuel and I always disable Start/Stop even when I was stuck in a queue in Salisbury for 35 mins.

Mazda 6 saloon sport 165 ps petrol - Mazda 6 sport 2 ltr Petrol mpg trip report - Avant

Many thanks for that, Nailit, and indeed for starting the whole thread.

This looks like another good, economical petrol engine to add to the collection (*). If you want an automatic the good news (I think I'm right in saying) is that it's a proper torque-converter auto; the bad news is that for some reason you can have it only with the 145 bhp engine. It looks as if your manual 165 bhp car is the pick of the bunch.

* The ones I can think of in addition to this Mazda are:

VAG TSI (1.2, 1.4 and 2.0);

Peugeot / Citroen 1.2 (highly rated by HJ); and possibly

Honda 1.0 in the new Civic - so far well-received by the motoring press.

I suppose that no list of great petrol engines is complete without the glorious BMW straight-six - but nobody's claiming that it's particularly economical, which is the point of this thread. I get 31 mpg on a long run in my 125i convertible, which is not bad for a 3-litre.

Mazda 6 saloon sport 165 ps petrol - Mazda 6 sport 2 ltr Petrol mpg trip report - groaver

SWMBO has the 145ps version.

When the roadworks were holding everyone up for months on the M74/M73/M8, she managed to average around 45mpg with all the stop/start driving from Hamilton to Stirling every day.

She loves the fact that it coc00ns you in motorway driving unlike her previous 2 which felt a little stressed in the same environment.

I find it to be a really pleasant car to drive with great road manners, especially in corners that a big car such as it wouldn't be expected to cope with so easily.

It never feels underpowered and gets up to speed without you realising due to its ability to coc00n.

Incidentally, I have ran it with Shell's V-Power for a couple of tanks and I genuinely believe it is even nippier.

My one dislike is the tinny clang the doors make as they close but I guess that is the weight-saving at play.

Edited by groaver on 21/08/2017 at 19:51

Mazda 6 saloon sport 165 ps petrol - Mazda 6 sport 2 ltr Petrol mpg trip report - veloceman
Personally I think the Mazda 6 is the best looking mainstream family motor currently on the market.
However the 2.0 shows a gutless 154 ft/lb torque.
How any one can rave about this when my 1.4 150bhp/184ft/Lb Leon does 0-60 in 7.8 secs and achieves a calculated 52mpg.
Not even close in the real world.
Mazda 6 saloon sport 165 ps petrol - Mazda 6 sport 2 ltr Petrol mpg trip report - Manatee

The 1.4 presumably has a turbo. The 2.0 is roughly equivalent but substitutes rpm for boost, so needs to be driven, which is something that many of us have forgotten how to do.

I am intending to buy a 2 seater convertible car with 111 lb.ft of torque, and that not available until 4800rpm. Sounds like fun to me, Also made by Mazda.

Personally I think the Mazda 6 is the best looking mainstream family motor currently on the market. However the 2.0 shows a gutless 154 ft/lb torque. How any one can rave about this when my 1.4 150bhp/184ft/Lb Leon does 0-60 in 7.8 secs and achieves a calculated 52mpg. Not even close in the real world.

No denying the TSi has more midrange punch but driver enjoyment isn't all about speed. As much as I like the Leon, I'd rather take the Mazda 3/6's superior gearchange and more fluid handling than half a second saved passing a tractor on my favourite B road. It's all personal preference however and I totally get the love for VAG's TSi engines, there's no denying the efficiency but the jury is still out on longterm durability while Mazda's normally asperated petrol engines are based on tried and tested architecture that's well proven for reliability. Shame the same can't be said about their diesels.
Mazda 6 saloon sport 165 ps petrol - Mazda 6 sport 2 ltr Petrol mpg trip report - Engineer Andy
Personally I think the Mazda 6 is the best looking mainstream family motor currently on the market. However the 2.0 shows a gutless 154 ft/lb torque. How any one can rave about this when my 1.4 150bhp/184ft/Lb Leon does 0-60 in 7.8 secs and achieves a calculated 52mpg. Not even close in the real world.

To be fair, the Leon is a level down in size and weight, and neither the current Passat has the 1.4 TSi 150 (without hybrid assistance), no large SEAT saloon and the closest VAG match, the Octavia isn't the best handling car as it's a big car based on a medium car's chassis.

Mazda 6 saloon sport 165 ps petrol - Mazda 6 sport 2 ltr Petrol mpg trip report - Grombo

I recently ordered a Mazda 6 165ps petrol and waiting to take a delivery soon.

I had been driving a E91 318i Touring but decided to upgrade wife's Polo to a Golf and let her use the 318i and I could use the Golf for commuting.

Bad decission. But was fortunate enough to be in a position to switch quickly.

Not sure if I am too used to NA engines OR if eco-turbo setups are indeed bad. The Golf has a 1.4l 125ps turbo engine with all the torque coming in at around 1800rpm. How can that be any good in a short wheel base, front wheel drive car.

It did not feel all that bad in the test drive we took in the Golf around town. And the fact that its possible to pootle around in high gears at low revs is pretty good proposition.. in theory.

After about 400 miles of commuting I knew I am going to have an accident in that car. The throttle response varies depending on if you are moving from stop or accellerating from a roll and the number of people in the car. The steering is just plain vague.

The 318i never did that. Part if it is down to the valvetronic setup in BMW, the throttle is always ready to enrich the charge and the response is very natural and linear/predictable and the rest of it is down to zero nonsense steering setup.

After this I tried pretty much all the similar models in VAG Group, a BMW 1 series with a 3-cylinder turbo petrol. Even the 1-series feels "vague" with the fully electric steering. Similar behavior from a Mini. Opel Astra felt better but not by a lot.

Had almost decided to "learn to live" with Golf and out of a whim took a test drive on a Mazda 6.

: ) , :-) , :D, :D, :D

Why don't other car manufacturers have such a positive and pleasent feeling steering and NA Petrol engine ? I am not a fast driver but definitely keen enough to not fall in love with these new eco-turbo, torque steering devilish contraptions. Mazda have figured out a way to find the right camber and electric-assist level to have the most pleasent feeling steering available this side of a Porsche.

The short-throw gear shifter is NICE. So much that I decided to opt for a manual after being used to an automatic for about five years now.

Will be taking the delivery sometime next week of the 6. Looking forward to it.

--Grombo

Good luck with the Mazda, Grombo. Make sure you get a spare wheel with it - they're extra on some Mazdas and not available on others.

We have the same 1.4 TSI engine in SWMBO's Audi A1. I know what you mean about the throttle response: there is very slight turbo lag when starting off from rest, or pulling away from a junction: but one gets round it by giving it just a little more right foot as one pulls away than you might expect to. You only need to do this for a moment, and the engine, and in the case of the A1, the light, direct steering, are otherwise excellent.

Mazda 6 saloon sport 165 ps petrol - Mazda 6 sport 2 ltr Petrol mpg trip report - Grombo

@Avant. Thanks mate.

I did check and the spare option is sadly no longer on offer. Mazda provide a 3 year breakdown cover and a tyre repair kit instead as standard.

Also, here is some interesting information regarding the driveability of the 165ps engine -- www.automobile-catalog.com/curve/2016/2159945/mazd...l

Between 83% to 88% of max torque is available between 2000-2500rpm range.

About 70% of max torque is already there from 1500rpm !!!

Assuming of course that graph is correct, I am not sure if that ProfessCar software is any good or not OR if the operator of that software is any good or not... neverthles it matches what Mazda say about the high-compression based engine setup.

US/Europe have the option of that 2.5l 185ps engine. I understand that in the US, people will still run normal (i.e 87 or 83 RON) "gas" thus it might make sense to offer a larger engine to "keep up". In the UK 95 RON is the "normal" but I don't understand why (rest of the) Europe get the 2.5l petrol and why not UK :-)

I hope they offer the HCCI/SPCI Skyactiv-X in UK before they start offering 2.5l.

Cheers,

--Grombo

This helps to explain why it won a Tow Car of the year award (back in 2013?)

I'm certain that you will enjoy the car, and the dealers are good generally.

This helps to explain why it won a Tow Car of the year award (back in 2013?)

I'm certain that you will enjoy the car, and the dealers are good generally.

That prize probably went for its use of the 2.2TD and not any of the petrol engines.

Mazda 6 saloon sport 165 ps petrol - Mazda 6 sport 2 ltr Petrol mpg trip report - Big John

I understand that in the US, people will still run normal (i.e 87 or 83 RON) "gas" thus it might make sense to offer a larger engine to "keep up". In the UK 95 RON is the "normal" but I don't understand why (rest of the) Europe get the 2.5l petrol and why not UK :-)

I think the US has a different RON/MON/AKI measuring value which shows lower numbers for the same fuel

I understand that in the US, people will still run normal (i.e 87 or 83 RON) "gas" thus it might make sense to offer a larger engine to "keep up". In the UK 95 RON is the "normal" but I don't understand why (rest of the) Europe get the 2.5l petrol and why not UK :-)

I think the US has a different RON/MON/AKI measuring value which shows lower numbers for the same fuel

Thanks @Big John, got it -- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating#Anti-Knock_Ind...2

So it's about the same.

Then maybe the reason to offer the 2.5l is the application. In US and mainland Europe people tend to cover a lot more miles in their cars thus it may make sense to offer an engine which can suffer longer duty cycles ?

--Grombo

Edited by Grombo on 28/08/2017 at 11:16

- "Between 83% to 88% of max torque is available between 2000-2500rpm range.

-- About 70% of max torque is already there from 1500rpm !!!"

--- "This helps to explain why it won a Tow Car of the year award (back in 2013?)"

---- "That prize probably went for its use of the 2.2TD and not any of the petrol engines."

Andy, there was an award for the petrol 165ps version, I found this;

www.mazda.co.uk/aboutmazda/news/awards/new-mazda6-.../

A piece cut from above reads;

"The all-new Mazda6 claimed its sixth award this year after it was named as the ‘Best Petrol Tow Car’ at the Tow Car Awards 2013, held at Woburn Abbey in Bedfordshire last night (13 June). The Mazda6 2.0-litre 165ps Sport Saloon petrol model won the title after rigorous testing against rivals from Ford, Peugeot and Vauxhall and was praised for its proven capability as a tow car in terms of its practicality, power and value for money."

Oh and this;

www.thetowcarawards.com/tow-car/mazda-6/

Edited by nailit on 03/09/2017 at 11:50

So I took the delivery of the car today :-)

The dealer had demoed with the 145ps petrol and diesel cars. I am sure the torque progression on the 145ps petrol is pretty similar to 165ps but I must say, the 165 with the heavier 19 inch wheels is a different ride !

The 145ps with 17 inch wheels felt more "pleasent". However, the 165ps with 19 inch feel like they carry more momentum and in 6th gear/between 2200-2500 rpm the ride feels "heavier". Steering feels more planted than with the smaller wheels.

Most of the drive from dealership to home was on the motorway, there was no indication of lack of pulling power in 6th gear.

I will take some time to get used the clutch bite. I did stall it once in traffic. Managed 35mpg only but I am sure this will improve over time.

And so relieved to not have to drive the Golf again... that wasn't the car for me.

Cheers,

--Grombo

Edited by Grombo on 03/09/2017 at 21:11