I was a serial motoring offender. What now? - Tharobc
Hi all. Please go easy on me I have a long tale and need some advice if possible.

When I was younger I was a serial motoring offender. A stupid boy who drove without insurance, failed to hand in my license and had numerous court dates to which I never turned up. I was a tear away. This all went on till about 10 years ago when I just stopped driving. I was, at the time, probably driving without a license as the courts had probably banned me in my absence.

Time has moved on and I would like to get driving again (legally this time). Clearly I regret acting the way I did as a youngster.

Can anyone advise on what the likely process/repercussions are? As so much time has passed is it purely a case of reapplying for my license or will I need to do a new test? Also will those missed Cory dates, no sending of license to dvla etc have meaning still or is there a time limit where they are wiped out?

Thanks for reading and any advice would be gratefully received.

Rob
I was a serial motoring offender. What now? - Middleman

If your last offence was ten years or more ago all of your convictions will be “spent”. Any penalty points you may have had will no longer apply. It is extremely unlikely you would have been disqualified from driving for anything like ten years.

All you need to do is apply for a new licence. The DVLA will have details of any tests you passed and will issue you with the appropriate licence. In the unlikely event that there are any restrictions on your driving the DVLA will let you know when they get your application.

It is doubtful whether you have any court fines etc. outstanding. They will have been pursued long ago.

I was a serial motoring offender. What now? - RobJP

Agreed. Fill in your application form, and send it off.

You could even phone DVLA to chat about it first. I've always found them most helpful and (dare I say it) human !

I was a serial motoring offender. What now? - RT

You will have to carefully read any insurance proposal (you should anyway) and answer any questions accurately.

I was a serial motoring offender. What now? - concrete

Sound advice. I agree that after ten years any convictions/penalty points etc will be considered spent. If you still possess your original licence then I would, as Rob suggests, contact the DVLA directly and speak to someone. It may well be your current licence is still valid and therefore legal or they may ask you to submit a form for a photo licence if yours is paper. Either way I think you have every chance of reinstating your driving credentials. I am glad to hear you have calmed down and now wish to go about normal society in the proper manner. It must be a lot easier than always looking over your shoulder for the police. Best of luck with your application and your new found attitude to life.

Cheers Concrete

I was a serial motoring offender. What now? - monian

What is the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act?

The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 gives people with spent convictions and cautions the right not to disclose them when applying for most jobs, and buying insurance. Apart from those given prison sentences of more than 4 years, most people with convictions will benefit from it at some point in their lives. The changes came into force on the 10th March 2014.

Google for more reading

I was a serial motoring offender. What now? - RT

What is the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act?

The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 gives people with spent convictions and cautions the right not to disclose them when applying for most jobs, and buying insurance. Apart from those given prison sentences of more than 4 years, most people with convictions will benefit from it at some point in their lives. The changes came into force on the 10th March 2014.

Google for more reading

It doesn't apply to all aspects of life though - visa waivers and visa applications for the USA for instance.

I was a serial motoring offender. What now? - Gibbo_Wirral

Or working in schools and with vulvernable adults.

I was a serial motoring offender. What now? - Middleman

Or for jobs/positions associated with law enforcement and the judiciary and some jobs in th efinance industry (among others).