Before cars became complicated - Fishermans Bend

How many cars of today will manage over 2 million miles?

allaboutdieselz.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/34-million-...l

Before cars became complicated - SLO76
The last real Mercedes. Low stressed, low tech, basic and simple with little to no unnecessary gadgetry. I always fancied a basic 124 series Merc and very nearly bought a low mileage 1990 250D from a fellow local trader a while back. The poor paint job he'd done along with a refusal to value it correctly despite it having cluttered up his yard for over 6mths stopped me. But I like the simplicity of stuff like this. All 95bhp of it, slow as a week in the jail but it changes your attitude on the road to a more relaxed one. The 200D in the link had 72bhp and must've been glacial.

I don't use the bulk of the electronics in our Honda CRV and it's not the top spec by any means. A totally basic version with nothing more than power steering and central locking would suit me fine.

Edited by SLO76 on 16/08/2017 at 23:27

Before cars became complicated - badbusdriver

I remember reading in the Guinness book of records (this would have been early 80's) about an American teacher who had a volvo P1800 (like Roger Moore had in the original 'the Saint' TV series). I don't recall what the actual mileage he had done (I think it was less than a million), but it was listed at the time, as being the highest mileage car. The P1800, while looking very sporty and sleek, was identical under the skin as the notoriously tough 'Amazon' (121, 122 and 123), with simple engine and running gear.

bbd, you are right, that has now done a staggering 3 million miles.

www.autoblog.com/2013/09/18/irv-gordons-volvo-p180.../

Before cars became complicated - focussed

The P1800, while looking very sporty and sleek, was identical under the skin as the notoriously tough 'Amazon' (121, 122 and 123), with simple engine and running gear.

Not strictly correct - the Amazon series started off with the B16 four cylinder 3 main bearing block which was a bored out version of the previous B14B.

The P1800 used the new design B18 5 main bearing block and was a very tough engine, I've rebuilt quite a few of those as marine engines - not worn out as such, but neglected and corroded.

Before cars became complicated - Engineer Andy

I was a passenger in a Pug 406 (diesel, presumably non-common rail version) minicab which had well over 400k miles on it - the driver said it drove very well: I wonder how long it would last (go rusty first)? I suppose the more hardy diesels of that era and the 1.9PD from VAG would probably fit that category too, maybe a million miles if they were really lucky and kept them well maintained?

Before cars became complicated - SLO76

I was a passenger in a Pug 406 (diesel, presumably non-common rail version) minicab which had well over 400k miles on it - the driver said it drove very well: I wonder how long it would last (go rusty first)? I suppose the more hardy diesels of that era and the 1.9PD from VAG would probably fit that category too, maybe a million miles if they were really lucky and kept them well maintained?

PSA's 2.0 HDi 8v is a legend in the taxi trade. I've seen them and sold them with well over 300k and know of one Pug E7 hackney that had over 800,000 miles up before it had to be retired due to our local councils idiotic time regulations which bar any hackney over 10yrs old. There used to be a Mk II Granada with PSA's ancient 2.5 diesel running around here with over 1m miles on it too. It's a shame Peugeot have fallen so far in recent years.
Before cars became complicated - sandy56

I remember an old VW Beetle, flat4 aircooled, that was very slow. We discovered that one cylinder was out/damaged but we could not afford to fix it. We put it back together and carried on. My pal bought it and used it for years still running on 3 cylinders.

Before cars became complicated - carl233

Irv Gordon and his three mile million mile vehicle are setting all kinds of records. I recall reading that he changes the transmission oil every 25k miles and that engine oil changes were again very frequent. If the engineering is solid and there are no silly built in 'time bombs' that some 'modern' cars seem to have for delibrate premature failure then it is all about the maintenance.

Before cars became complicated - brum

These motors have some very dubious claims. For instance a 2016 swedish article claims it has done 515,000 miles www.expressen.se/motor/veteranbilar/han-har-kort-5.../ much more believable.

This article dated july 2013 www.classicandsportscar.com/news/csc-features/irv-...0 claims 2 million miles, with an engine rebuild at 675,000 miles. For him to reach 3,000,000 miles now requires 250,000 miles per year or 685 miles every single day of the year since 2013.

I dont believe it, its fake news.

Same for the tatty mercedes.

Before cars became complicated - Engineer Andy

These motors have some very dubious claims. For instance a 2016 swedish article claims it has done 515,000 miles www.expressen.se/motor/veteranbilar/han-har-kort-5.../ much more believable.

This article dated july 2013 www.classicandsportscar.com/news/csc-features/irv-...0 claims 2 million miles, with an engine rebuild at 675,000 miles. For him to reach 3,000,000 miles now requires 250,000 miles per year or 685 miles every single day of the year since 2013.

I dont believe it, its fake news.

Same for the tatty mercedes.

I wonder if there's a joke there about original brooms and having replaced 4 heads and two handles... :-)

Even if these are untrue I'm sure there are some genuine million miles plus.

www.saabplanet.com/1989-saab-900-spg-with-1-millio.../

Before cars became complicated - Terry W

First car - 10 year old 1961 Ford Anglia. Optional heater and wind up windows. Most DIY jobs done with 2 spanners and 2 screwdrivers. Needed decoking every 10-20k miles..

Roll on 20 years - company Ford Sierra. Heater, electric front windows, sunroof, AM/FM with 2 speakers. Quieter, faster, bigger and more economical than Anglia.

Another 20 years pass - mid range 2011 Octavia. Central locking, electric windows, aircon, variable speed wipers, CD/radio, 6 speakers, seat height adjustment, car computer, power steering, power brake discs etc. 93k miles and only two faults - water pump replaced under warranty + coil pack fault (£100). Faster, quieter, more economical than Sierra.

Will probablty change car next year - mid range hatch. Will likely have built in sat nav, bluetooth, climate control, xenon lights, parking sensors.

All this complexity has not reduced reliability as production processes work to increasingly fine tolerances, in cleaner factories using better designs (generally). They are like white goods and electronics - we just expect to "plug and go". Driven with some mechanical sympathy and serviced properly expect 10 years or 150k+ of fairly hassle free motoring.

Contrast this with the 60s or 70s - frequent repairs, 60-80k before engine replacement and 6-8 years before teminal rust.