Vectra 1.8i VVT 58 Plate - Exhaust & Cat Converter - advice needed - Si-G

Hi all,

Im getting an orange warning light on my 58 reg Vectra 1.8i VVT.

My local garage have said the computer is suggesting a cat failure.

He has said it will cost just shy of £600 to sort.

My question is, wouldn't it be cheaper to get a new sports exhaust - full system?

Or should I just get the cat converter replaced?

If so, what price is reasonable and what places would you guys suggest?

Im based in York - thanks for any help!

Vectra 1.8i VVT 58 Plate - Exhaust & Cat Converter - advice needed - elekie&a/c doctor

On what basis have they decided it needs a new cat? Whatever exhaust system you want to fit to this ,either a standard system or a hokey cokey super dooper variety,it is still going to need a cat to pass the emission test.

Thanks for the reply!

They hooked it a diagnostic machine and that suggested the cat was going - plus Ive noticed its starting to smell a bit when running - I didnt know if the cat was part of a full exhaust system or if it was seperate - it sounds like its seperate from what you're saying?

Vectra 1.8i VVT 58 Plate - Exhaust & Cat Converter - advice needed - Miniman777
If it is the cat, look at Euro Car Parts for a replacement. £369 there so a decent saving. May be the Lambda sensor, cost £80 to £140 depending on fit at ECP.

Edited by Miniman777 on 14/08/2017 at 20:37

Cheers for your reply - why are they so pricey?! So Im going to have to buy a replacement cat by the sounds of it and then the full exhaust system is totally seperate?

Vectra 1.8i VVT 58 Plate - Exhaust & Cat Converter - advice needed - RT

Cheers for your reply - why are they so pricey?! So Im going to have to buy a replacement cat by the sounds of it and then the full exhaust system is totally seperate?

Catalytic converters are made from expensive materials, including precious metals - that's why they're expensive to buy - and have a scrap value, typically £30+.

Cheers for the info - learn something new everyday ha! Is a full exhaust system totally seperate? I assumed if you bought a full exhaust system, it would have the cat as part of it, but guessing this isnt the case and its a seperate part (which then fixes to the full exhaust system?)

Vectra 1.8i VVT 58 Plate - Exhaust & Cat Converter - advice needed - RT

Most modern cars have the cat attached to the manifold.