any - Why are Dipsticks Black ? - MikeM100

Just been checking my engine oil level and pondered as to why dipsticks are black ? Almost any other colour would contrast with clear new oil or old murky black oil

any - Why are Dipsticks Black ? - oldroverboy.

I'm shocked!!!! someone who checks the oil level!

I'm shocked!!!! someone who checks the oil level!

I also checked the windscreen washer water and even the tyre pressures and tread. Cleaned the wipers and screen as well. Just like my Dad taught me ! He even kept a log book recording journeys and fuel consumption.

Can we please bring back 'petrol pump attendants' who would do this for us ?

any - Why are Dipsticks Black ? - RichT54

The dipstick in my A3 is grey which makes it easy to see. The dipstick in the CR-V I had before was brown, which I found very difficult to read, especially when the oil was new and clean.

any - Why are Dipsticks Black ? - Bromptonaut

On the Berlingo the 'business end' is orange.

any - Why are Dipsticks Black ? - jc2

Mine's not black.

any - Why are Dipsticks Black ? - RaineMan

Never had a black one - mainly a steeley colour or grey!

any - Why are Dipsticks Black ? - RT

Remind me what a dipstick is!

My Subaru had three - one each for the engine, autobox and transfer box - my Hyundai Santa Fe made do with one for the engine, so just a fill level plug each for the autobox and transfer box - my VW Touareg has none, relying on an electronic sensor for the engine with nothing at all for the autobox and transfer box.

any - Why are Dipsticks Black ? - gordonbennet

Didn't some Fords used to have yellow plastic dipsticks?

It's new fresh oil i struggle to see on the typical dipstick, i'd be quite happy with an on board oil level gauge so long as the car still had a real dipstick so you could judge for yourself how accurate the gauge is.

As an aside many of our lorry fleet have dashboard gauges (they have dipisticks too, but cab has to be tilted to gain access), the word is that the ecu memorises electronic dipstick use, so in the event of low oil engine damage (if oil dangeously low an unmistakeable message is displayed), subsequent blame apportioning concerns obvious if engine malfunctions...i won't comment on the weird mentality of people , alleged professional drivers, who can't even be bothered to check the oil!

I wonder if cars with electronic gauges also record low oil events, possibly with consequences for neglectful owners should the engine disintegrate after numerous engine restarts showing low oil?

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/08/2017 at 19:36

any - Why are Dipsticks Black ? - Wackyracer

As an aside many of our lorry fleet have dashboard gauges (they have dipisticks too, but cab has to be tilted to gain access), the word is that the ecu memorises electronic dipstick use, so in the event of low oil engine damage (if oil dangeously low an unmistakeable message is displayed), subsequent blame apportioning concerns obvious if engine malfunctions...i won't comment on the weird mentality of people , alleged professional drivers, who can't even be bothered to check the oil!

The Stralis I had for a year was constantly nagging about the oil being low. However the dipstick didn't agree with it. I loved it when I got it but, was glad to be rid of it at the end of the lease agreement.

Edited by Wackyracer on 12/08/2017 at 20:39

any - Why are Dipsticks Black ? - gordonbennet
The Stralis I had for a year

A year A YEAR man? Ye Gods a cruel and unusual punishment what on earth did you do to deserve such a fate.

I had one for the odd day now and again and was gald to see the back of it, they had a few on rent and i became the unofficial oil-man cos no one else knew had to tilt the cab.

For those not into lorries, that brilliant piece of engineering magnificence which (ones i've had) seemed like they drank nearly as much oil as fuel, required the cab to be tilted to put engine oil in...i've driven some real junk in my time but never such a poor oversight in vehicle design as that.

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/08/2017 at 21:01

any - Why are Dipsticks Black ? - craig-pd130

Didn't some Fords used to have yellow plastic dipsticks?

Correct - my Mondeo IV had a yellow plastic bit at the business end. The dipsticks on our two Corsas have an alloy section at the business end with knurled markings, which hold the oil film firmly making them very easy to read.

any - Why are Dipsticks Black ? - Andrew-T

<< my Mondeo IV had a yellow plastic bit at the business end. >>

The business end? I would have thought that was the oily end?

any - Why are Dipsticks Black ? - Wackyracer

..i won't comment on the weird mentality of people , alleged professional drivers, who can't even be bothered to check the oil!

One firm I worked for had a phone next to the diesel pumps. Apparently before I worked there, if a driver needed diesel they used the phone and a man from the huge workshop building would come out and fill it up for them, checking the oil at the same time.

any - Why are Dipsticks Black ? - Smileyman

Good question! On my Primera the dipstick is sliver, however on my new car it is black, something that immediately caught my attention as it was difficult to check the oil level. Considering things are done for a reason, I'd like the designers give their reason.

any - Why are Dipsticks Black ? - galileo

Good question! On my Primera the dipstick is sliver, however on my new car it is black, something that immediately caught my attention as it was difficult to check the oil level. Considering things are done for a reason, I'd like the designers give their reason.

Designers may not be the culprits: bean-counters may have found that black dipsticks are £0.01 each cheaper than silvery coloured ones and instructed the buyers to get them.

Regarding the ones with a yellow plastic end, was it not common for the plastic end to fall off into the sump? (nice little earner for workshops)

My Peugeot 205 dipstick is plain steel with a bright yellow top; the 207 diesel stick is whitish plastic, quite easy to read, especially with black oil .... Clearly dipsticks come in all colours, but usually the same shape.

It was a term of mild abuse in Only Fools and Horses ...

<< Regarding the ones with a yellow plastic end, was it not common for the plastic end to fall off into the sump? >>

I've just replaced a 205 dipstick whose top was missing - the stick had been bent over to stop that falling down the dip-pipe. I can't imagine how the top could fall into the sump though.

Edited by Andrew-T on 12/08/2017 at 23:00

any - Why are Dipsticks Black ? - expat

Lay the dipstick on a sheet of newspaper. That will show where the oil level is.

any - Why are Dipsticks Black ? - FoxyJukebox

Pull out dipstick , dry the oil off and give the bottom(reading end) a coat of bright yellow heat resistant paint. Leave stick out to thoroughly dry before replacing.

Edited by Doubleug on 14/08/2017 at 10:27

Pull out dipstick , dry the oil off and give the bottom(reading end) a coat of bright yellow heat resistant paint. Leave stick out to thoroughly dry before replacing.

Thanks, that is a good tip and I might well do that.

Hmmm. I think that yellow paint (especially when fresh) will need to be resistant to hot (90°) oil, as well as just heat. Possibly some kind of enamel?

Just try and see!....there's nothing like an experiment?

any - Why are Dipsticks Black ? - RT

Hmmm. I think that yellow paint (especially when fresh) will need to be resistant to hot (90°) oil, as well as just heat. Possibly some kind of enamel?

It would need to stand higher temperatures than 90C - normal sump temperature is 100-120C and could go higher in extreme circumstances - that wouldn't be good for the engine but you wouldn't want to compound that with the dipstick paint coming off!

Good point, especialy if car is brand new. I can just envisage the tabloid headline " Man invalidates new car guarantee by painting dipstick"