Range Rover - Toddler killed by runaway car - brum

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4778190/Car-exper...l

Strange case, it is reported that 'It appears that an unattended Range Rover has rolled off the driveway in Beechwood Drive. The vehicle was left insecure, with the automatic transmission in park with the handbrake fully applied. It gained momentum down the drive where it went across the road and mounted the footpath opposite and hit the wall'

Is this in any way possible?

On second thoughts this may possibly be the statement given by the cars owner....but can anyone think of a scenario where this could happen.

Edited by brum on 10/08/2017 at 16:14

Range Rover - Toddler killed by runaway car - madf

for this to happen,:

The handbrake has to fail. And provide zero retardation ... (not real world in my view)

The Park system of the auto transmission - which locks the transmission so it cannot move - also fails. Never heard of it..

Pigs will fly first.. Pigs are porkies...

Edited by madf on 10/08/2017 at 16:27

Range Rover - Toddler killed by runaway car - brum

My thoughts exactly, however because this is an inquest, the police must have dismissed it as an accident (i.e. no criminal investigation) and believe the statement to be true.

Surely the police cannot be that stupid?

Range Rover - Toddler killed by runaway car - RT

Simply not possible, as described - the Park mechanism on an automatic is at least as good as a handbrake often better.

Range Rover - Toddler killed by runaway car - Dwight Van Driver

Brum

This will be treated at the start as a sudden death and full enquiry for HM Coroner who will want to know why vehicle rolled back.

As such I would expect plod to have vehicle examined by expert to see why. From this may be offences committed other than on a road.

dvd

Range Rover - Toddler killed by runaway car - Bromptonaut

As such I would expect plod to have vehicle examined by expert to see why. From this may be offences committed other than on a road.

dvd

Report from Mail OnLine is pretty shoddy. It contains several sentences that appear to have words missing and contradicts itself over whether girls father was injured or not. I'm not reassured that it accurately reports what was said to coroner. Is fact that it was reported to be "insecure" relevant?

While handbrake and Park lock on transmission are theoretically belt and braces the Range Rover is reported to be 17years old. If the braces were useless and the belt two notches slack.......

Range Rover - Toddler killed by runaway car - oldroverboy.

At that age the car would have a manual handbrake. it is entirely possible to leave that vehicle in N not P if it was indeed an auto.

Have seen it before, and i worked for a LR/RR dealer. the other side is that it was common for the position sensor to fail and the car would be locked in P (park) if parked in P position. It was a part i deliberately stocked.

But given the sensitivity of the case i think 'nuff said...

Edited by oldroverboy. on 10/08/2017 at 21:09