Fiesta 03 1.4 TDCI - Blue smoke and lots of it - JohnPh

I have a ford fiesta 2003 1.4 TDCI that is blowing a lot of blue smoke out of the exhaust, here's the details, hopefully someone can help!

Ford fiesta 2003 1.4 TDCI
Serviced Oil/fuel/air filters replaced and fresh oil
Still very good fuel consumption
Slight Diesel smell inside when running
Lot's of blue smoke after idling for a while then pulling away and accelerating 1st and 2nd, I guess the speed after is dispersing the smoke.
It first smoked like this at Christmas after sitting in a ferry port with the car idling for an hour or so as the weather was freezing and was trying to keep warm with the heaters, I pretty much filled the car deck with smoke :(

Rocker cover gasket needs replacing
No loss of power
Not using a weird amount of oil, 3/4 on the dipstick since service

Turbo has just been replaced.

Lots more smoke after idling for a while then pulling away

Any ideas please?

Edited by JohnPh on 08/08/2017 at 18:33

Fiesta 03 1.4 TDCI - Blue smoke and lots of it - skidpan

In days of old loads of blue smoke when pulling away after idling (and on accelerating after a period off the throttle) indicated worn out valve guides.

Had it on a couple of cars, solution was not to look in the mirror.

Fiesta 03 1.4 TDCI - Blue smoke and lots of it - JohnPh

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping to sell the car soon but can't very well sell it with clouds coming out of it, is it a big job to replace the guides or not economical?

Simply tell the buyer what it does and let them decide. I sold one car that was smoking badly and the chap who bought it ran it for years with no ill effects other than a pint of oil every week or so.

Edited by skidpan on 08/08/2017 at 19:36

Fiesta 03 1.4 TDCI - Blue smoke and lots of it - Stanb Sevento

If its as smoky as you say and not using oil the smoke is more likley from the fuel. Stick a can of fuel system / injector cleaner through it before doing anything drastic.

Fiesta 03 1.4 TDCI - Blue smoke and lots of it - hardway

If you want to know then it needs an injector leak back test.

If its as smoky as you say and not using oil the smoke is more likley from the fuel.

Incorrect fueling is either black or white smoke. Blue smoke is burning oil.

Fiesta 03 1.4 TDCI - Blue smoke and lots of it - Engineer Andy

If its as smoky as you say and not using oil the smoke is more likley from the fuel.

Incorrect fueling is either black or white smoke. Blue smoke is burning oil.

Are either of these MOT fails?

Fiesta 03 1.4 TDCI - Blue smoke and lots of it - John F

Black = unburnt fuel (petrol or diesel).

Blue = burning oil

White = steam, either from condensate in exhaust (no problem) or ingress from the cooling system, usually from a failing head gasket (big problem).

Enough black or blue will fail MoT.

Fiesta 03 1.4 TDCI - Blue smoke and lots of it - Andrew-T

If its as smoky as you say and not using oil the smoke is more likley from the fuel. Stick a can of fuel system / injector cleaner through it before doing anything drastic.

If it's as smoky as you say, it may fail the next MoT :-(

Edited by Andrew-T on 10/08/2017 at 18:49

White = steam, either from condensate in exhaust (no problem) or ingress from the cooling system, usually from a failing head gasket (big problem).

Link from another post

www.dieselsmoke.com.au/

White smoke does indicate a fuelling issue.