Gumtree works for me - gramar

For many years I’ve used Ebay to sell on items but their fees and those of Paypal are now just too high so with some reluctance I decided to give Gumtree another go. In the past I’ve had less success with it.

My luck has changed. Last week I decided to advertise my car a 56 plate SEAT ALtea XL 1600 petrol via Gumtree instead of EBAY ‘cause it’s free and Wow! car sold in 24 hours happy lady drives away having paid me in cash. This week I’ve also sold a camera on Gumtree.

I think I’m a convert to Gumtree. It’s so much easier and quicker to load an advert and photos on their site too.

Gumtree works for me - SLO76
Agree. I use Gumtree to advertise every sub £2k car I sell and I always get plenty of responses. Sadly as a lot of scam artists and idiots offering half the advertised price are among them but I find limiting the advert to email only helps save a lot of time and grief.

Autotrader is a better bet for dearer motors with a different type of buyer frequenting the site.
Gumtree works for me - bathtub tom

I had a wonderful Gumtree reply to a car I offered for £400.

They wanted me to bring it to a notorious area where they promised me the full asking price. Yeah, right, I'd have been stuck without transport with a wad of cash. Surprisingly, when I suggested they send me the cash and then I'd deliver the car, I didn't hear any more.

Do people fall for this?

Gumtree works for me - Bolt

I had a wonderful Gumtree reply to a car I offered for £400.

They wanted me to bring it to a notorious area where they promised me the full asking price. Yeah, right, I'd have been stuck without transport with a wad of cash. Surprisingly, when I suggested they send me the cash and then I'd deliver the car, I didn't hear any more.

Do people fall for this?

Had that several times over the years and not just Gumtree, what gets me is, most that answer the ad offer stupid amounts for what your selling without even looking at what you`ve got, if you don`t answer. you get an email full of abuse

I would rather sell to wbac now(if I had a car for sale that is)

Gumtree works for me - SLO76
"Had that several times over the years and not just Gumtree, what gets me is, most that answer the ad offer stupid amounts for what your selling without even looking at what you`ve got, if you don`t answer. you get an email full of abuse

I would rather sell to wbac now(if I had a car for sale that is)"

I find this irritating as hell and it's interesting to note how much it varies depending on the type of motor you're selling. If I put up an ad for an old Honda, Toyota or a Passat or Octavia diesel then my phone rang constantly and my email was flooded with offers of half the money it was advertised at. The last case (a cheap Passat diesel) was so bad that I've since stopped putting my phone number on ads for cars like this. I had one guy who called several times a day every day begging me to take £250 for what was a cheap old diesel trade in I had on at £400 that drove surprisingly well - and has since passed another Mot for less than £150 with the lady who bought it. A total bargain missed by focusing on how much they can get off the price.
Gumtree works for me - Chris M

I use Gumtree for stuff that can't be posted including several cars which generally have sold quite quickly. We've also bought several iphones which I wouldn't buy at a distance. Lots of dodgy phone sellers around, but if you only buy where the seller has the charger, lead and original box and meet them at their home address, it has proved successful.

Will use ebay for things that can be posted as you have a wider audience. Sold some roof bars recently for a good price because I was offering to post. So many sellers won't post such items as they seem to think it's too much bother.