footwell fun ? - Bilboman

Cast your votes now please for the one feature you would like to be able to operate surreptitiously with your left foot! Cars often used to have buttons and switches placed down below (the Austin-Morris dipswitch; the Ford wash-wipe; the least said about Korean/American parking brakes the better), and with the onward march of hybrids and all-electrics, it cannot be long before we are forced into two-pedal motoring for good. For 90% of the time in this imminent motoring future, the left foot will be idle (HJ-approved parking manoeuvres notwithstanding), so let's find it something to do!
My vote goes to a raucous auxiliary horn for those all-essential moments when only a 200 dB blast of Dixie, La Cucaracha or Colonel Bogey can adequately communicate the motorist's displeasure to a wayward driver - plus the "collateral damage" of everyone in a ten mile radius!

Edited by Bilboman on 02/08/2017 at 01:24

footwell fun ? - nellyjak

I'm obvioulsy ahead of the game.....I already have just the 2 pedals....AND..a footwell parking brake too. (which I like)..!!

My current fave surreptitious footwell device would be a feature that would allow me to target and "destroy" any mobile phone I see being physically held and used whilst driving.

I would be happy for it to be able to deliver a similar fate to any vehicle that uses the 200dB delights you mention as I may easily be one of the unfortunates that require an underwear change soon after delivery of said "blast".

footwell fun ? - argybargy

I'd favour a large boxing glove filled with concrete, mounted on the end of a powerful spring, compressed in a compartment in the rear bumper. Designed to shoot backwards in response to my stamping on that extra pedal and destroy the engine of anyone stupid enough to tailgate me. Yeah, I'd get some satisfaction from that.

footwell fun ? - skidpan

I would love a button that would put an Excocet up the exhaust of all those cars (driven exclusively by youngsters) that display "Dirty Diesel" stickers and belch out huge amounts of smoke. Followed one last evening, so much pollution you could hardly read the number plate because of the oil residue on the back of the car.

It'd also be nice to have a device to deal with the b*********s who visit our local Mackies drive through, eat their food in the car and toss the bags and cups out of the window on the way home rather than putting it in the bin. Not sure how the pedal would help: maybe it could be used to mobilise a local Forensic Litter Squad, who could descend on the pile of rubbish, check it for DNA, locate the perpetrators and boil them slowly in chip fat till they promise not to do it again.

footwell fun ? - elekie&a/c doctor

Many years ago ,i worked in a BL dealership .We had a customer with a Triumph 2000 auto that only had use of his left leg.The car was modified for left foot accelerator.Now that was fun to drive!

footwell fun ? - Wackyracer

One of our drivers at work was infuriated by the driver in the traffic infront throwing the McDonalds junk out his window, he jumped out the cab walked up to the car picking up all the cartons and threw them back into the persons car through their drivers window with a verbal dialogue about taking them home and putting them into their own bin.

One of our drivers at work was infuriated by the driver in the traffic infront throwing the McDonalds junk out his window, he jumped out the cab walked up to the car picking up all the cartons and threw them back into the persons car through their drivers window with a verbal dialogue about taking them home and putting them into their own bin.

I like that. However, I'd have reservations about approaching the perpetrator after an experience of a few years ago.

At the time we lived in a house which was cheek by jowl with a number of shops, including a takeaway. People had a habit of turning up in their cars, buying a meal, eating it in the car then chucking the rubbish in the gutter. Most of this garbage ended up swirling about outside our front door due to a quirk of the prevailing wind.

One day I happened to be looking out of the window and lo and behold: two people in a car, parked across the road, eating a takeaway. Next thing sure enough, door was opened a crack and out drops the rubbish, into the road. I sprang into action, out of the door and across the road and tapped on the window. Out stepped Bluto's doppelganger, but six inches taller than the original and even more angry looking. "Whaddya want?" he growled. Quick as a flash I blubbed "Don't I know you from somewhere?" "No you don't", he seethed, got back into the car and off they went, leaving me to pick up the rubbish.

My cowardice was not only encouraged by his gargantuan height and bulk but probably based on logic. On that particular day I'd have struggled to flee for my life, because at the time I was dragging a badly sprained ankle sustained whilst playing soccer. So no more such confrontations for me.

Edited by argybargy on 02/08/2017 at 16:48

footwell fun ? - gordonbennet

A few years ago i had an interesting, though possibly risky confrontation like that.

We live ar the end of a short cul de sac where mostly older people live, all bungalows, few people come down here, one day a car with 4 young people in it pulled up outside our neighbour's house, the driver and the front seat passenger got out and put two 500ml bottles of oil in the engine but dropped the empties on the path outside my neighbour's house.

I hoped they would pick them up, but got back into the car and the engine started up, they were just about to reverse off when i called out to the driver, who stopped, i walked calmly up, picked up the empty bottles and handed them to the driver, explaining they were nice people lived in that bungalow and it wasn't nice leaving rubbish for them, i was quite polite.

I should add at this point, the driver was of Indian or Pakistani heritage and seemed mortified that i'd had to speak to him, he apologised genuinely, the others in the car were white lads who muttered unintelligible remarks which don't need repeating here, but none of them made to get out and sort me out.

It was as plain as the nose on my ugly mug that the driver was a decent well brought up young man who for some reason had got himself friends that were not cut from the same cloth, i would like to have said as much to that young man in retrospect and i hope he thought about that exchange later and made changes to his life.

Anyway they drove off and as the car went round the corner the passenger window came open and the front seat passenger threw the bottles out on the ground, so i still had to go and pick them and put them in the bin.

Sometimes you have to do and say things that need doing and saying.

footwell fun ? - Wackyracer

I'd like something like that but, with the misile going backwards for the tailgating SUV's and 4x4's fraternity, actually forget the button just have a sensor set for anything closer than 2 car lengths over 30 mph.

footwell fun ? - galileo

At one time (not too many years ago) undercover intelligence operators in NI had some cars fitted with a foot activated device under the floor which would fire stun grenades to front, rear and both sides if they were surrounded at a terrorist roadblock.

Something similar might shift middle lane blockers and tailgaters.

footwell fun ? - Bilboman

The ultimate foot-operated anti-carjacking device is apparently out of production now, owing to the unavailability of spare parts: goo.gl/3JpxJG
South Africa always had some rather radical solutions to urban crime; at one time it was permissible to conceal land mines in a residential garden to deter burglars.

Edited by Bilboman on 02/08/2017 at 20:32

footwell fun ? - bathtub tom

How about some electronic device that incapacitates the speakers of those who sit in traffic with the volume turned up and their windows open?

footwell fun ? - Manatee

How about some electronic device that incapacitates the speakers of those who sit in traffic with the volume turned up and their windows open?

If by incapacitates you mean fires a rocket propelled grenade at, then I'm right with you.

Edited by Manatee on 02/08/2017 at 20:45

footwell fun ? - galileo

If by incapacitates you mean fires a rocket propelled grenade at, then I'm right with you.

A water pistol fired into their ear might be amusing - though the Old Bill are more likely to lock you up for a Firearms Offence than do the driver for Antisocial Behaviour.

But what are the chances of any cops being around?

footwell fun ? - oldroverboy.

Footwell FUN?

I had some front door fun a few months ago.

I have the usual stickers on the front door of the house saying no junkmail etc and thought that something similiar would be nice on the car, so bought a red dot matrix display that I can switch on, (in the rear window) (when i think someone is too close)

It simply says "TOO CLOSE"

It works! just have to get a variable speed proximity sensor which will do it automatically for me!

For the front door of the house, we had a persistent offender who sid when challenged that he would carry on dumping stuff through our letterbox as we "Could not stop him"

1st action (threatened) was a bucket of water over him.

2nd (actioned) stuffed leaflets back into his trolley bag.

3rd and most successful.. called the leaflet distributor and told them that they were breaking the law as their agent was refusing my legitimate request via the door signage to not deliver leaflets and junkmail, and that this would be a final warning.

did the trick!

footwell fun ? - Smileyman

@ ORB - get a dog - ask any postman!

Edited by Smileyman on 04/08/2017 at 00:49

footwell fun ? - Smileyman

a light to shine a message to the vehicle well in front ... the one driving on a road with a 50 limit but still only driving at 30 "For goodness sake, get a move on please" (keep it polite)

(I wish the need for this meant I was joking!)