Land Rover Discovery 2 - Sunroof leaks, what would you use? - Metropolis.

Like every other Disco with a sunroof since 1989, the sunroofs leak. I have had the headlining out twice, cleaned it, replaced parts, lubed it, cleared out the drainage, you name it i've done it. I have aircon so i'm not bothered about using them again and I rarely change cars so unconcerned about resale value.

So my question is, what would you use to permanantly seal a sunroof? I have tried tape and whilst this does work it looks really scrappy and does peel off eventually, normally on the motorway making a dreadful sound...

Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Land Rover Discovery 2 - Sunroof leaks, what would you use? - badbusdriver

What type of sunroof?, steel tilt & slide, glass tilt & slide, or glass tilt only?.

Land Rover Discovery 2 - Sunroof leaks, what would you use? - Wackyracer

Silicone sealant suitable for exterior use (so it won't be affected by UV light).

Land Rover Discovery 2 - Sunroof leaks, what would you use? - Metropolis.
Glass tilt and slide. Thanks everyone for your responses, i'll look into each option, try it and report back
Land Rover Discovery 2 - Sunroof leaks, what would you use? - mss1tw
In my trade I use a product called 'Magic Gel' for waterproofing underground connections

It's a two part mix and a more expensive solution than good old silicone but the reason I mention it is it 'creeps' and will find any leaks downstream of where you pour it in.
Land Rover Discovery 2 - Sunroof leaks, what would you use? - gordonbennet

Do you recall the days of glass fibre matting and that resin mix for diy body repairs.

Well that resin, which i suppose was really a larger amount of a similar product to Araldite (that would do the job too), carefully filling the sunroof gap should provide a permanent finish, should be able to get a smooth finish with a latex gloved finger, almost like grouting.

Unlike silicon though it really is going to be a permanent seal.

The sealant I used on my kitcars to glue the windows in (as per manufacturers instructions) was Tiger Seal by U-pol. Being a competition based kitcar they didn't use window rubbers to save on weight.

Land Rover Discovery 2 - Sunroof leaks, what would you use? - Andrew-T

I suspect one reason this kind of sunroof tends to develop a leak is the different expansion coefficients of glass and metal. In which case silicone may be a better bet than epoxy as it is less rigid and should be able to absorb the movement, provided it is appled to dry surfaces and bonds properly.

Land Rover Discovery 2 - Sunroof leaks, what would you use? - focussed

If you want to permanently seal your sunroof you need a polyurethane based sealer like this, silicone doesn't tend to last very well outside.

www.amazon.co.uk/Sikaflex-291i-Black-Multi-functio...t

Expensive but excellent adhesion and sealing

the Tiger seal I mentioned is polyurethane and costs under a fiver at Amazon.

Land Rover Discovery 2 - Sunroof leaks, what would you use? - Andrew-T

If you want to permanently seal your sunroof you need a polyurethane based sealer like this, silicone doesn't tend to last very well outside.

I suppose the best answer would be the stuff carmakers use for their panoramic roofs - whatever that is?

Land Rover Discovery 2 - Sunroof leaks, what would you use? - NARU

Could you have the whole roof vinyl wrapped?