VW Tiguan - Cat D - strickjumpers

Hi, looking to get a Tiguan and have seen one at a keen price with good mileage but is recorded cat D. We intend to keep the car for a long time to replace sharan now owned over 10 years, does cat D have much impact on insurance etc..any advice on pitfalls welcome, thanks, Mike.

VW Tiguan - Cat D - oldroverboy.

Hi, looking to get a Tiguan and have seen one at a keen price with good mileage but is recorded cat D. We intend to keep the car for a long time to replace sharan now owned over 10 years, does cat D have much impact on insurance etc..any advice on pitfalls welcome, thanks, Mike.

Look at the MOT history and when it ws last taxed, find out if the airbags have been replaced (AND NOT simply removed) if they were inflated, find out what the actual damage was, ( but cat D is generally but not alwys uneconomic to repair. value the car on webuyanycar.com or such, or this website and deduct 25-30% I suspect it will be a diesel so be aeare of dpf/dmf problems or if a dsg gearbox problems. whatever the age make sure there is a complete service history from a main dealer while under warranty and annual oil changes afterwards.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?search-target=used...l

Post the link, but n autotrader I saw 9 of them at differing prices

Edited by oldroverboy. on 22/07/2017 at 13:32

VW Tiguan - Cat D - SLO76
The only time you should buy a cat D is if it's an older low value car that's been written off by a minor bump. A sub £2k car could be written off by a damaged bumper but a newer and much more valuable car such as a Tiguan will have been involved in a major impact in order to have been written off. I wouldn't touch it and I certainly wouldn't put my family in one. Either spend more and buy a good one or ease your ambitions down to a level you can afford. I've seen some very poorly repaired Cat D's in my time, in fact it's rare to find a properly repaired example.
VW Tiguan - Cat D - nellyjak
The only time you should buy a cat D is if it's an older low value car that's been written off by a minor bump. A sub £2k car could be written off by a damaged bumper but a newer and much more valuable car such as a Tiguan will have been involved in a major impact in order to have been written off. I wouldn't touch it and I certainly wouldn't put my family in one. Either spend more and buy a good one or ease your ambitions down to a level you can afford. I've seen some very poorly repaired Cat D's in my time, in fact it's rare to find a properly repaired example.

Agree totally...why take the risk.?...having spent some years in the trade (MG/Rover/Kia) I have, like Slo76, seen some very iffy Cat D examples.

If you are going to invest in a Cat D then do it carefully and as cheaply as possible.

Personally I wouldn't touch it.

Edited by nellyjak on 22/07/2017 at 14:41