Ford Focus - Help choosing right ford engine - Veed79
After some advice on ford engines, looking to upgrade the mrs focus currently she drives 55 reg 1.6 Petrol and looking to part ex it against something around 6-7k.
Just trying to decide what engine would best suit our needs, I originally was looking at the 1.6 tdci but most of her trips are school run and 7 mile round trip to work with maybe a longer journey once a month,so from what I've read diesel wouldn't benefit us.
So think we will probably stick with Petrol was looking at the 1.0 ecoboost but read about the cooling problems and that put me off slightly.
We have had 3 other focus in the past all 1.8petrol and was pretty chuffed with them and the 1.6 she's in now is ok just struggles a bit sometimes when we are loaded up to go on holiday.
Do they not do a 1.8 Petrol anymore? Would I be better off with the 1.6 ecoboost or just normal 1.6?
Many thanks
Ford Focus - Help choosing right ford engine - SLO76
Don't touch the PSA 1.6 TDCi, it's notorious for problems as is the 1.0 Ecoboost. Some time spent on google will flag up tonnes of premature failures on both engines and loads of expensive tales of woe. Don't be tempted!

The Yamaha designed 1.6 normally asperated petrol is very longlived if looked after and although it's hardly a ball of fire it's perfectly adequate for day to day driving and should be fine if she's used to a Mk II 1.6 already. The Mk III is a little better on fuel too.

The 1.6 Ecoboost is a much more powerful motor altogether and is based on the same basic architecture. As with all turbocharged cars buy only with a full main dealer service history as they don't take neglect well. Skipped oil changes or use of the wrong grade of oil (often the case in non-franchise workshops sadly) will dramatically shorten engine lifespan more so than the non-turbo variant. But even so I'd advice looking for a full dealer history on any you buy.

To throw a few other worthy options in, I'd also take a look at the Honda Civic 1.8 and Mazda 3. Again stick to petrol and either will give excellent and enjoyable service.

Edited by SLO76 on 21/07/2017 at 14:40

Thanks for the help mate, yeah I did look at Mazda being a possibility as friend has had the 3 for a while and loves it, so will bear that in mind.
When we bought the mk2 few years ago I looked at the 1.6tdci then and read about turbo problems after bad oil from leaking seals? Which was why I was a bit dubious about that engine.
Think we will look at the n/a 1.6 or if funds will allow and we find a looked after 1.6 eco as they seem to go for a bit more money would be nice to have that extra bit of power but it's not a deal breaker I guess as it is mainly a short commute car.
If you intend on keeping it longterm it's best to keep things as simple as possible especially since it will largely be used for short distance use where outright power is of little relevance. Plus the 1.6 Ecoboost is relatively rare while you'll have your pick of normally asperated 1600's which litter forecourts all over the country. Remember though, there's 3 different versions of this engine in the Mk III 84bhp, 104bhp and 123bhp. The middle spec motor is the most common and offers acceptable performance but the low output version is a bit strangled especially out of town. Make sure you know what one you're buying.
Ford Focus - Help choosing right ford engine - oldroverboy.

One of my neighbours has a 15 reg 1.0 ecoboost complete with overheating problems!

Ford Focus - Help choosing right ford engine - Finguz

I've had a 1.6 Ecoboost for long enough to get it up to 44000 miles, and I would highly recommend it. No issues, pretty good fuel consumption, great handling and midrange performance is excellent.

Ford Focus - Help choosing right ford engine - carl233

The 1.6 Petrol Sigma engine designed by Yamaha is a solid all alloy engine that I still consider modern and does not feel old fashioned despite the core design dating from 1995. The only real big expense is the timing belt but it is a long change interval anyway. No problems getting 200k miles plus from this engine. The same cannot be said for the troublesome 1.0 Ecoboost with its questionable timing belt bathed in oil design and its very long wallet busting failure history.

Edited by carl233 on 21/07/2017 at 19:56

Thanks for all the input guys think we're gonna keep a look out for the 1.6 Petrol, went to see one yesterday at dees Wimbledon but it got sold that day and guy then tried to sell us one 3 grand above our budget!
One more question whats the power shift all about? And are they one to avoid? Saw a few complaints on google but didn't look into it much as wasn't looking at power shift models originally.
Ford Focus - Help choosing right ford engine - iFocus

I've just purchased a 2011 1.6 Ti-VCT 125ps Focus; it seems a great little engine so far and it is averaging 42mpg over 300 miles.

I did do a bit of research before purchase and they seem to be pretty reliable.

I paid just under £6,000 for mine with 66k on the clock.

Edited by iFocus on 23/07/2017 at 17:06

Ford Focus - Help choosing right ford engine - badbusdriver

The powershift is fords dual clutch automated manual gearbox, and has a poor reputation for reliability, as with most of this type of gearbox. Unfortunately, due to the economy and emissions benefits of this type of gearbox (and the 'less sophisticated' single clutch version), there isn't much option in the focus class to get an 'automatic' which doesn't have this type of gearbox. The mazda 3 has a traditional torque converter auto, and I think the Kia cee'd and hyundai i30 also have this type of gearbox.

Ford Focus - Help choosing right ford engine - skidpan

I think the Kia cee'd and hyundai i30 also have this type of gearbox.

As covered in another post since the introduction of the Mk2 Ceed (2012 approx) the auto has been a DCT. Presume Hyundai is the same.

Righto maybe another model to avoid then I guess.
Stick with manual if you can. Automated manuals such as Ford's Powershift, Toyota's MMT and VW's DSG are complex, trouble prone and costly to fix. Three words to remember when buying a used car on a budget... keep it simple.
Ford Focus - Help choosing right ford engine - carl233

It is very wise words to stick with the manual option if you can, the 1.6 sigma engine is fitted with the IB5 manual gearbox and is a fairly decent box. Not as durable as Ford's MTX75 unit but still quite good with nothing to cause concern.

Thanks for all the help guys 1.6 manual it is then.