Honda HRV - Medium Wave not working - Louis Branch

Hi, just purchased an 02 Honda HRV with an after market radio, When I put the key into the ignition and switch on, MW is fine but when I turn the ignition further to start the car, all I get is a whining sound. Any ideas why?

Honda HRV - Medium Wave not working - Peter.N.

What happens once the engine is running?

Same mw just a whining sound switch engine off and mw fine
Honda HRV - Medium Wave not working - hardway

Used to be a simple fitting of a capaciter to the alternator,

BUT that was years ago when I used to fit radios.

No idea if it's still the same what with todays tech.

Try a local audio fitters.

would Halfords be able to do that as there's a shortage of audio fitters in reading area shops just want to sell you a dab radio
Honda HRV - Medium Wave not working - elekie&a/c doctor

MW radio reception needs a good aerial system and a good bond of the radio to earth/chassis.A car of this age will be radio suppression compliant and it is unlikely to need and further components fitted.What make radio do you have?Many of the cheap and cheerful units have very poor MW facility.

Honda HRV - Medium Wave not working - Big John

Many cars have an aerial amp that is powered via the head unit. If fitted with an aftermarket radio the power source may not be in place. Usual symptoms FM OK but not great and MW/LW very weak.

EG www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/honda-aerial-antenna-adapt...l

Honda HRV - Medium Wave not working - Railroad.

Sounds like interference from the alternator. A suppressor fitted on the alternator should cure it, if it doesn't have one already. It's a five minute job to do. The suppressor connects to the main alternator cable and fixes to earth.

Honda HRV - Medium Wave not working - Big John

Sounds like interference from the alternator. A suppressor fitted on the alternator should cure it, if it doesn't have one already. It's a five minute job to do. The suppressor connects to the main alternator cable and fixes to earth.

Possibly, but I had this same issue few years ago when I fitted an aftermarket radio - it was the aerial amp lacking power. Somehow the FM worked OK (was better when fixed though) but AM just picked up "inteference". Was important to me as I used to listen to LW when in France on holiday. Fixed with an "adapter"

Honda HRV - Medium Wave not working - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

I've not listened to medium wave since the 1980s.

FM and now digital have so much clearer reception - a new radio may be better.

But as said, proper mounting of the aerial and suppresion is needed as a starter.

Honda HRV - Medium Wave not working - skidpan

I've not listened to medium wave since the 1980s.

FM and now digital have so much clearer reception - a new radio may be better.

But as said, proper mounting of the aerial and suppresion is needed as a starter.

Stopped listening to MW as soon as I got a radio with FM, that was probably in the early 80's. No disadvantges at all so why bother with MW.

Honda HRV - Medium Wave not working - jc2

The Archers & English programmes in France.

Edited by jc2 on 16/07/2017 at 10:40

Honda HRV - Medium Wave not working - Manatee

Because Radio 5 Live broadcasts only on 693 and 909kHz on the Medium Wave.

Edited by Manatee on 16/07/2017 at 10:40

Honda HRV - Medium Wave not working - Galaxy

Former pirate radio station Radio Caroline have just been awarded an AM Medium Wave licence to broadcast on 648 KHz.

They are going on-air via this medium shortly:

radiocaroline.co.uk

Click on "AM Licence"

Honda HRV - Medium Wave not working - focussed

I can get Radio Caroline here in Brittany France on FM!

www.radiocaroline.bzh/page/frequences-7

Problem is, they have to, by law, play 70% french music - anyone who has ever listened to French pop music will sympathise!

Honda HRV - Medium Wave not working - Galaxy

Ah, yes, that's a different Radio Caroline!

If you want to listen to the original and genuine Radio Caroline it can be found here:

radiocaroline.co.uk/radioplayer3/index.html?v=1500...1

They also have their "Flashback" service which plays only music from the sixties and seventies:

www.carolineflashback.co.uk/radioplayer/index.html...3

And Radio 5 live is on DAB, not that I have listened to it much.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 16/07/2017 at 12:41

And Radio 5 live is on DAB, not that I have listened to it much.

After much button pushing I found 5 live extra as an offshoot of 5 live. The sound is very muffled but at least they had the test match on. And 5 live had the Diddy Lewis Hamilton show.