undercover police - Give cyclists more room - frankly

dailym.ai/2v6Y6Bt

I think it's correct that they need protection from the idiots but do have doubts about police resources being used to this degree? Perhaps they are undercover for all activities not just purely for cyclists.

Edited by frankly on 11/07/2017 at 15:25

undercover police - Give cyclists more room - nellyjak

I'm quite happy to give them room...providing they are using a cycle lane IF there is one...and NOT riding 2, 3, 4 abreast if there isn't.

The weekend club lycra brigade should remember it ain't the Tour de France and the roads are NOT closed off for them.

...and I speak as a cyclist too.,!

undercover police - Give cyclists more room - RT

I'm quite happy to give them room...providing they are using a cycle lane IF there is one...and NOT riding 2, 3, 4 abreast if there isn't.

The weekend club lycra brigade should remember it ain't the Tour de France and the roads are NOT closed off for them.

2 abreast is deemed acceptable in the Highway Code para 66

undercover police - Give cyclists more room - nellyjak

That may be so..but it's not acceptable to ME and I don't do it.!

That may be so..but it's not acceptable to ME and I don't do it.!

The problem with single file is that a group of cyclists is twice as long so even harder to overtake.

undercover police - Give cyclists more room - Fishermans Bend

And safer 2 abreast.

Cycles emit zero emissions, no need for VED.

Cyclists are extremely vulnerable to motorised vehicles being driven badly, too many have little regard for cyclsts safety. I applaud this action by our law enforcers.

Cycles emit zero emissions, no need for VED.

Cyclists are extremely vulnerable to motorised vehicles being driven badly, too many have little regard for cyclsts safety. I applaud this action by our law enforcers.

Who funds all the cycle lanes? Obviously not cyclists at present!

Pot calling kettle black - in calling for better driving from vehicles, cyclists need to get their house in order and comply with the Highway Code, at least as much as they expect drivers to.

undercover police - Give cyclists more room - Wackyracer

Pot calling kettle black - in calling for better driving from vehicles, cyclists need to get their house in order and comply with the Highway Code, at least as much as they expect drivers to.

Agreed..

Cyclists pay tax just like everyone else.

Cyclists need to comply with law just like the rest of us, problem is they normally commit offences and get away with it because they can't be traced. That's another maggot of worms!

undercover police - Give cyclists more room - Andrew-T

But as said in a parallel post, anyone is entitled to 'own the road' if they get to it first, for safety reasons. ??

undercover police - Give cyclists more room - argybargy

As is often the case, there's wrong on both sides. The wrong in the case of the Corsa driver who turned left immediately in front of me as I rode home from work and nearly put me and my bike in orbit, and the wrong in the form of the cyclist wearing helmet, high viz gear and displaying enough lights to dazzle the mayor of Blackpool who narrowly missed being crushed under my bumper as he sailed merrily through several red lights on a local roundabout, because it was late at night and he thought he could.

What I find most surprising is that the police have the time and resources to mount such an operation after so many years of cuts.

Edited by argybargy on 11/07/2017 at 22:39

undercover police - Give cyclists more room - Ethan Edwards

I think it's fabulous news. Crime is now at such a low level that the Police are now having to go out and encourage more of it to be committed.

No burglaries. No muggings. No rapes. No fraud. No violence absolutely nothing going on.

This frees up the "over worked and under resourced" police people to go and see if riding around in a provocative manner will encourage people to commit crimes.

In fact since they obviously now have too little to do perhaps the government can cut their funding by 75 percent. Should not be a problem.

undercover police - Give cyclists more room - Wackyracer

I think it's fabulous news. Crime is now at such a low level that the Police are now having to go out and encourage more of it to be committed.

No burglaries. No muggings. No rapes. No fraud. No violence absolutely nothing going on.

This frees up the "over worked and under resourced" police people to go and see if riding around in a provocative manner will encourage people to commit crimes.

In fact since they obviously now have too little to do perhaps the government can cut their funding by 75 percent. Should not be a problem.

Apparently in Essex they have soo much free time they are now going to be doing Fire Brigade work and the Fire Brigade will do some Police work too, what could possibly go wrong?

If cyclists had to pay road tax the money would be welcomed, certainly by the majority. There will always be bad road users. I don't have a problem with cyclists btw, I'm retired and therefore never in a rush.

undercover police - Give cyclists more room - Gibbo_Wirral

If cyclists had to pay road tax the money would be welcomed, certainly by the majority. There will always be bad road users. I don't have a problem with cyclists btw, I'm retired and therefore never in a rush.

If ALL cars had to pay "road tax", their money would be welcomed also. Their metal box wears out the road and takes more space than a car.

You're retired? Wow, I'd have never have guessed.

ALL cars had to pay "road tax", their money would be welcomed also. Their metal box wears out the road and takes more space than a car.

You're retired? Wow, I'd have never have guessed.

:-) All cars will 'eventually pay tax, :-) Tsch! Young'uns these days.

undercover police - Give cyclists more room - drd63

Many who cycle also drive, therefore pay VED. The whole point of giving cyclists room is that if you pass to close to a car someone might lose a mirror. Too close to a cyclist they might lose their life.

Many who cycle also drive, therefore pay VED. The whole point of giving cyclists room is that if you pass to close to a car someone might lose a mirror. Too close to a cyclist they might lose their life.

The VED they pay is to use their car!

undercover police - Give cyclists more room - Manatee

The idea of charging cyclists VED has so much wrong with it I am surprised it is ever raised.

Cycling creates zero emissions inclusing at the power station, and zero wear on roads; plus it has health benefits and often means one less car in use. Not to mention the fact that a lot of cars pay no VED.

Deleted

Edited by frankly on 12/07/2017 at 21:11

undercover police - Give cyclists more room - Metropolis.

Easy solution to all this, make cyclists use the pavement where they belong, much safer for all involved if they could be bothered to have an ounce of courtesy to pedestrians. The extra militant ones dressed like lollipop ladies should be banned entirely...

undercover police - Give cyclists more room - Bolt

Easy solution to all this, make cyclists use the pavement where they belong, much safer for all involved if they could be bothered to have an ounce of courtesy to pedestrians. The extra militant ones dressed like lollipop ladies should be banned entirely...

They could at least use the expensive but never used Cycle lanes, I can think of one area where that money could have been better spent, on rubbish clearance that so many drivers/passengers leave behind on the roads.

its becoming a pain where carp is thrown out of car windows without a care where it goes

as for cyles being emissions free, they do slow down motors and speed up after/during overtake which is as bad as humps in the road

undercover police - Give cyclists more room - Ethan Edwards

Cyclists emit an awful lot of self satisfied smug. I'm surprised some posters haven't admitted that. A pity the national grid can't harvest it ...

undercover police - Give cyclists more room - Manatee

When people stop making stupid generalised comments about cyclists we might start getting somewhere.

Cyclists are just people, on bikes.

Proper cyclists don't ride on pavements, and if they shun a cycle lane it's usually for a good reason - some are in appalling condition, others marked at the side of roads are so full of rubbish, grit, flints, thorns or broken glass they guarantee a puncture. Would you ride in a two foot strip with gulleys in it that invites drivers to pass without deviating or slowing?

Anyone who cycles a lot soon learns to be assertive - ride submissively in the gutter and it won't be long before some narcissistic plonker with one hand on the wheel and a phone in the other close-passes you at 60mph because he or she is too important to wait for a gap in oncoming traffic so as to allow a safe margin.

Attitudes to cycling are frankly appalling.

The fact that some people who cycle are smug justifies nothing BTW.

Edited by Manatee on 14/07/2017 at 10:50

as for cyles being emissions free, they do slow down motors and speed up after/during overtake which is as bad as humps in the road

Much like slow drivers holding other vehicles up.

Much like slow drivers holding other vehicles up.

Not too many about at the moment, but School holidays are coming up when all the sunday drivers come out the woodwork, not to mention kids on bikes who ride better than adults

undercover police - Give cyclists more room - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

I get annoyed by other road users as a pedestrian, cyclist, motor cyclist and motorist.

And I know I annoy other road users on occasion.

I've been using my new pushbike to explore our local network of cycle routes. However our local cycle lanes are pretty useless as cars park,legally, in them. This encourages me to use the pavement rather than dodging out from behind vehicles.

undercover police - Give cyclists more room - Bromptonaut

Having seen sucess in Midlands the Met are doint it too:

news.met.police.uk/news/space-for-cyclist-initiati...1

We want all road users to obey the Highway Code

With a lot of our roads being as slim as they are its never going to happen, especially when Cycle riders only obey the highway code when they feel like it, then jump on the path after holding up 1/2 mile of traffic- look back and laugh at what they have done

and no, not all drivers are as bad, but most cyclists dont obey the HC