Question - irrespectful driving - Luca_

Hi there! I'm not sure if it's the right place for such question, but don't really have any one to help me. What can be done about the driver that doesn't respect road lines, uses more than one lane on roundabout and cuts corner few inches in front of you, forcing you to break? It's kinda frustrating. IF one day I decide not to brake, will dash cam recording be enough to proof him/her guilty? And, can such behaviour be reported directly to police?

Lucas

Question - irrespectful driving - RobJP

Quite simply, you drive defensively. You leave a bigger gap. You anticipate better. You adjust your driving.

If you decide not to brake, then YOU will be held liable, and your insurance will have the payout, and YOU will be at risk of points on your licence.

If you've got dashcam footage of a person's driving, and it is of concern, then I suggest you get in touch with your local police force.

Question - irrespectful driving - gordonbennet

The driving you are describing is on the increase, much of the reason for this is because some who should really be driving a Nissan Micra or similar small car are driving cars far too long and wide and too fast for them to cope with, a few minutes watching the antics of the average driver parking their car will confirm this.

The best thing to do when you see an idiot who obviously can't cope with their vehicle is to make sure they get past you and in front of you and make sure you stay back from them, that way you won't end up in the scrapes and confrontations these people get involved in, and you can wave regally to them as you drive gently past when they have to stop to sort out the collision they were just involved in when they met their equivalent.

The above is slightly tongue in cheek, but i am seeing the results day in day out, there is one particular make of car the drivers of which seem completely incapable of keeping in their own lane on roundabouts and junctions, watching them attempt to park their oversized for them cars is hilarious...and no it isn't BMW's which i find these days to be driven rather well in the main despite whatever reputation they might have once had.

Edited by gordonbennet on 07/07/2017 at 14:19

Question - irrespectful driving - Bolt

no it isn't BMW's which i find these days to be driven rather well in the main despite whatever reputation they might have once had.

Still have in my neck of the woods, closely followed by Mercs then VW cars, smart cars are the gocarts of the road, mostly(not all) driven by idiots

Question - irrespectful driving - alan1302

IF one day I decide not to brake, will dash cam recording be enough to proof him/her guilty?

No, it will prove you didn't brake and was driving badly!

Best way to deal with people like that is to give them plenty of space and leave them to do what they want.

Question - irrespectful driving - FP

I must be careful not to over-think this, but from the OP I have the impression that Luca feels resentful and victimised by the bad driving of others ("disrespectful", I think he means) and is on the verge of some kind of passive-aggressive retaliation.

That is very dangerous as a mind-set. You must not let the bad driving of others (and there's plenty of it about) get to you; the next stage is road-rage.

Assume every other driver is an idiot or worse and drive carefully. Don't second-guess others' intentions. And don't assume your own driving is superior to anyone else's. There's room for a bit of reality and humility here.

Edited by FP on 07/07/2017 at 16:17

Question - irrespectful driving - Manatee

I don't cross solid lines, run red lights, hog lane 2+ unnecessarily or tailgate but if I'm not obstructing or confusing anybody else I will use every lane on a roundabout and both sides of the road to keep rolling, save fuel and make progress.

The drivers who most get on my wick are the ones who mindlessly or inconsiderately take an age to overtake on a dual carriageway, blocking me behind slower traffic, the ones who race past into my safety zone before an exit slip or roundabout and then brake heavily in front, and the tailgaters whom I deal with by lifting off to create a larger gap ahead.

While doing a genuine 70mph, the same car started to overtake me three times on the A421 south of Bedford yesterday at what must have been about 70.5. On each occasion I ended up accelerating ahead to pass a 56mph lorry after he had spent a mile or more creeping up alongside of me. What is in these people's heads?

Edited by Manatee on 08/07/2017 at 12:06

Question - irrespectful driving - 72 dudes

While doing a genuine 70mph, the same car started to overtake me three times on the A421 south of Bedford yesterday at what must have been about 70.5. On each occasion I ended up accelerating ahead to pass a 56mph lorry after he had spent a mile or more creeping up alongside of me. What is in these people's heads?

Not a lot, and that's the problem. Too lazy to turn the cruise control off and get past too.

Question - irrespectful driving - RT

Even stevens - you both may have selected 70 mph cruise but cars react marginally differently on gradients - you could have varied your speed up or down just as easily as the other driver.

Question - irrespectful driving - Manatee

Even stevens - you both may have selected 70 mph cruise but cars react marginally differently on gradients - you could have varied your speed up or down just as easily as the other driver.

Well I did of course. But he was the one creating the rolling road block, his choice not mine. And I would not and do not shut others in behind slower traffic. I'll either clear them beforehand or allow the driver ahead to overtake the slower traffic. It isn't difficult, but it does require observation and common courtesy.

Question - irrespectful driving - gordonbennet

What is in these people's heads?

SWMBO thinks much of this is people, and middle or older aged usually thoroughly miserable looking men are by far the biggest culprits here, exercising that little bit of power thay think they have by baulking or policing the road, a fair chance they are jobsworths in their working lives.

She also wonders if they might well be nagged at home where they have to do as they are told, so attempt to make up for frustrating lives by being an annoying little twerp to others whenever possible whilst safely locked inside their steel and glass safety cage.

You see some of these actions when they leave a single carriagway road where they've struggled to get up to a heady 50 mph no matter how good the road, yet soon as an overtaking opportunity arises for the line of bored witless souls stuck behind, they suddenly find the throttle and go belting off only to slow right down again when the overtake possibility has passed.

You seldom see this type of driving from women, if they're steady on the single carriageway (and i have no problem with that, not everyone wants to run at the speed limit or higher all the time), they don't usually try to thwart overtakers.

Edited by gordonbennet on 09/07/2017 at 20:30

Question - irrespectful driving - Avant

Men like that used to wear hats or flat caps when driving. Maybe not so much now, but as you say the mentality is still there.

My imaginary poster Arthur Punter is just like that. He drives an ageing, unreliable diesel Vauxhall. He cycles to his job in local government, so Mrs Punter, who walks to work, uses the Vauxhall twice a week for shopping. They do occasional trips to visit his parents, Mr and Mrs Arthur Punter senior, who have the same petrol Toyota that Arthur senior bought when he retired twenty years ago and which has never let him down.

Arthur Punter posts on here 'asking advice' about getting a used BMW: 'it must be diesel as they're more reliable'. He gets some home truths from several of us (including being called a muppet), and a list of seventeen well-made points from SLO as to why this isn't a good idea.

But of course he buys the BMW anyway, drives it in exactly the way described by GB, and posts on here again complaining about the massive engine failure that inevitably follows.

Question - irrespectful driving - argybargy

Here in North Wales we suffer a great deal from the perennial curse of tailgating. In fact, I think I read somewhere that Wales is the worst part of the UK for this phenomenon, though how they worked this out I've no idea.

I used to get quite angry when tailgating happened to me, and would waste valuable time looking in the rear view mirror and shaking my head in an attempt to convey my despair to the tailgater at the poor quality of his or her driving. Fortunately, I've now learned the value of ignoring the presence of a car in my rear view mirror if it happens to be too close, and to sail merrily on my way at the speed limit or just below. They usually give up and back off anyhow.

Edited by argybargy on 10/07/2017 at 00:09

Question - irrespectful driving - Ethan Edwards

You know your in Essex when driving within the speed limit, you look into your rear view mirror and find a A@#i three millimetres from your rear bumper.

What goes through these losers heads indeed.

Question - irrespectful driving - nellyjak

Sadly, tailgating (aka intimidation and impatience) is still alive and well...and irrespective of gender..!

I've been driving for many, many years..never claimed to be brilliant...but can claim experience.

As suggested by a previous poster, I drive defensively (was taught to do so in the days when I was driving 50k miles p.a.) and treat all other road users as potential idiots (safer that way...and I'm still alive..lol)

I don't get into road rage...I simply back off, ignore and resist the temptation to lean on the horn button.

I drive a Toyota MPV and like to cruise along enjoying the high driving position and comfort..and I do so with the prevailing traffic/road/speed limits and conditions in mind. (No, I do not drive in a "Miss Daisy" style)

Seems that many others don't always appreciate my "being there" or perhaps they just want to intimately examine the rear of my vehicle.?

BUT...my MPV has a trick up it's sleeve..it's 3 litres of Toyota's finest V6 with 220 horses to call upon...if I need or want to, I can often distance myself from the offending follower quite quickly.

Question - irrespectful driving - Wackyracer

You know your in Essex when driving within the speed limit, you look into your rear view mirror and find a A@#i three millimetres from your rear bumper.

Or a Mercedes SUV driven by some bimbo.

What goes through these losers heads indeed.

probably just the fresh air that goes in through one ear and out through the other, with little to nothing to stop it inbetween.

I got some verbal abuse and a few beeps from the horn because I stopped to turn right the other day, I think the stupid bimbo thought that I would just turn into the oncoming traffic so as not to delay her by a few seconds of her precious time.

Edited by Wackyracer on 10/07/2017 at 12:00

Question - irrespectful driving - madf

If I am tailgated in town.. which does not happen often - I slow down and never exceed 30mph.

If I am tailgated on a 60mph limit I slow down to 55mph.

Tend to lose muppets quite quickly..

Take up yoga and pity those less fortunate mentally.

Question - irrespectful driving - Fishermans Bend

Some don't realise they are tailgating, the day dreamers who shouldn't be driving.