Renault Master Lm35D minibus - MOT advice please for single Mum - Mrs.S.B
Hi there,
Need advice am I being ripped off?
My minibus failed it's MOT

Suspension arm ball joint dust cover excessively deteriorated so that it no longer prevents ingress of dirt offside front lower (2.4.G.2)

O/S/F Lower arm part £138.33
3.5hrs Labour @£50pr hr £175

Need to book in for work tomorrow. Want to know if it's a fair price please?

Thank you Tech head Gurus x
Renault Master Lm35D minibus - MOT advice please for single Mum - hardway

Sounds ok to me.

You might be able to get a cheaper arm but do you really want cheap quality parts in your steering/suspension system?

And your garage might not want to fit owner supplied parts.

I wont.

Renault Master Lm35D minibus - MOT advice please for single Mum - gordonbennet

I'd make a quick call to the Renault dealer service desk, ask them for a supply and fit price for the offending arm.

Cost of arm might well be about right, and it's usually better to fit a genuine part than aftermarket which sometimes arn't as good or last as long, the labour time seems long but having worked on Reanault cars many years ago may be right, some jobs were just horrible, especially replacement suspension parts where the OE parts were sometimes rivetted together so those rivets had to be either ground off if room or blown out with a cutting torch.

Renault Master Lm35D minibus - MOT advice please for single Mum - Cyd

You could source the part yourself a little cheaper (£95 ish), but you have to allow the garage some profit on material.

3 1/2 hrs to change a lower wishbone? A blind, one-armed mechanic, right?

So that'll be a 'yes' and 'no' from me then.

Are those prices plus vat?

Renault Master Lm35D minibus - MOT advice please for single Mum - Cyd

I based my answer on looking at a picture of a Master lower wishbone. It is similar to those fitted to my 9-3, ie two inner bushed mountings and an outer ball-jointed mount.

I did both my 9-3's wishbones on the floor in my garage in less than 3 1/2 hours.

Unless someone who knows Masters like the back of their hand cares to contradict me.

A quick gander at a couple of forums suggests it is actually quite easy to change the ball joint too. But that may depend on the year.

Thank you all fofor taking the time to get back to me. Much appreciated and all sorted thank you x
Renault Master Lm35D minibus - MOT advice please for single Mum - galileo

The original post says:

Suspension arm ball joint dust cover excessively deteriorated so that it no longer prevents ingress of dirt

I read that as the rubber dust cover needing replacement, is the garage assuming the arm itself will be so damagesd it needs replacement? A big cost difference between dust cover and complete arm.

Renault Master Lm35D minibus - MOT advice please for single Mum - gordonbennet

Good point Galileo, i did wonder about that, but it's one thing us here using our judgement about such an obvious repair to our own vehicle...where we'd probably check the rest of wishbone for deterioration and the joint in question for wear and dirt ingress and if happy its serviceable repack with grease before fitting a new dust over...and advising a poster who is probably not mechanically minded to do the same, always assuming one can buy dust covers/boots still?

In theory the dust cover replacement should only require wheel removal and the bottom joint taper separating, a lot less involved, unless the joint is the type under constant pressure against the spring, as were Morris 1000's Marina's and oddly enough Landruiser Colorado series up to 2002, in such designs for those who haven't seen them, the suspension is designed that the bottom swivel/ball joint is under constant pressure from the road spring trying to rip the ball out of the socket, very poor design flaw with serious results if the joint rips out, most designs are the other way.

Edited by gordonbennet on 06/07/2017 at 15:20

Thank you for your reply.

Just because I really wasn't happy I took the bus to another garage and the chap there pointed out that (get this little beauty!) the garage that did the MOT were getting me to pay for the arm to be fixed which was only an advisory!
They looked at the ball joint dust cover and the ball joint and were gobsmacked to see he had failed me on a tear in the ball joint that was not even 5mm in the rubber!

So not only did they save me a minimum of £250 to start, they in total got the all the work done to pass the MOT for £145 inc VAT
Instead of £406 before fixing fails on MOT

Some garages are absolute p takers just because I have a set of tits doesn't make me stupid.

Silver lining, I have found an absolute belter of a garage that will forever have my trust and business and I will always recommend.

Keep Driving Auto Ltd 4
YEARS
with Yell
Unit 7, St. Lukes Court, Clarke Way, Winch Wen Ind Est, Winch Wen, Swansea, West Glamorgan, SA1 7ER

?Keep Driving Auto Ltd www.yell.com/biz/keep-driving-auto-ltd-swansea-745.../ via @yell?
Renault Master Lm35D minibus - MOT advice please for single Mum - galileo

Good result, thanks for letting us know!

Renault Master Lm35D minibus - MOT advice please for single Mum - skidpan

They looked at the ball joint dust cover and the ball joint and were gobsmacked to see he had failed me on a tear in the ball joint that was not even 5mm in the rubber!

As far as I am aware that should be an MOT fail. Any split will allow dirt and water into the joint accelerating wear and leading to premature failure. Any MOT station that allows cars with defects like this should be investigated, who knows what other serious defects they ignore.

The fact that you have included details of a supposed friendly MOT station makes the thread look a bit like SPAM to me.

Normally if it looks like SPAM it is SPAM.

Thank you I'm happy with your response about the tear, to me it seemed not worth it but if it in fact, no matter how small fails the MOT then I'll accept it's a fail (as I'm not a mechanic)

And certainly not spam, please don't insult someone who is being friendly and helpful by passing on details about garages who've given good service. Not enough people do that these days, so rookies like me could end up possibly with expensive mistakes. I've written a review on yell and have absolutely no affiliation to this garage. However, I will always promote any org/comp thats given a great service. I didn't realise you couldn't be helpful these days without some cynical jobsworth having a pop. Don't suppose you voted for Labour Party ?? And take offence just like I did about your comment. But get over it just like I have after writing this to make me feel better:)

Watch this space though as my clutch pedal, on a half push has thee tiniest of squeaks!! ????

Ffs! ?? More money!!

Edited by Mrs.S.B on 24/07/2017 at 16:10