AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - MikeM100

Here we ago again, my annual 'battle' with AA membership renewal. About a month before expiry they send me a renewal reminder and whack up the price from last year. I then phone and painfully haggle it down as best I can.

This years demand:

Roadside - £76.81, Home Start - £68.96, Relay - £72.22, Joint Membership - £47.71

All sorts of stuff I don't want - Free ! Total = £265.70 with Special Offer saving £199.27

Last year I actually paid £165.00 for the very same cover so asking for a £100.70 more than last year !

How much do others actually pay ?

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - Manatee

£133.50 with Green Flag through Caravan Club, includes home call, caravan/trailer cover, dual recovery (to holiday destination and home again), personal cover (insured in any car whether driver or not), extra care (chauffeur/car hire/legal expenses).

Not the cheapest but caravan cover essential really, and the price is the price as advertised by Caravan Club so no nonsense with bleeding the loyal customers by "tuning" the premium every year.

I was with AA for a while, and had to call them every year for three years to get the price down from a stupid renewal quote (never called them out). The year they refused I transferred to RAC who were OK for a while then didi the same as the AA.

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - argybargy

£106 annually, fixed for two years with the AA. Roadside Relay, but not Home Start, along with some Key protection thingy.

I'm a "gold" member, whoopee, having joined 30 years ago, but that hasn't saved me (till this year) from the farcical annual bore of having to talk down an extortionate renewal quote. They never refuse to drop the price, but why put us through it? Presumably, I guess, because some folks will pay any price, no matter how ridiculous.

Oh, and I haven't actually called on their services since about 1999.

Edited by argybargy on 23/06/2017 at 20:04

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - RobJP

The exact same thing in Chateau P this evening.

My quote this year was virtually identical to the OP's. I've just been on the phone to them, and got it reduced to £159 - now including 'onward travel', which I used to be called 'relay plus' ,which was NOT included in my renewal quote

I went onto the AA website, and specced up my cover. Do note that currently, if you select 'national recovery' (which used to be called Relay), then the 'onward travel' is free.

So, in summary. Renewal quote for 2 people, any vehicle. Breakdown, home start and relay was originally £199.27, which included a 'special discount' of £66.43.

After a 'friendly chat' on the phone : 2 people, any vehicle. Breakdown, home start, relay, relay plus, £159.

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - Wackyracer

I gave up with the AA after many years and jumped ship to the RAC who were cheaper. Then every year I get the hiked up price and I just ring them and say that its another year of which I haven't used their service so it should be going down and they usually then charge me the same as the previous year, I think last year it was a pound or 2 less than the previous year.

After a 'friendly chat' on the phone : 2 people, any vehicle. Breakdown, home start, relay, relay plus, £159.

Thanks RobJP - that's exactly what I want and you paid less than I did last year !

Thanks for the warning about the 'Relay' service !

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - bathtub tom

Forty-odd quid from Autoaid!

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - galileo

Britannia quote £67 for roadside assistance and recovery, personal cover an extra £41.

AA Relay used to mean their first responder took your car part way then it was transferred to another unit for a further stage and so on. Don't know if that is still the case.

Britannia took you all the way on the same vehicle. (As has been mentioned before, Britannia's agents who also work for other outfits give Britannia priority because they pay them soonest)

I have been in and used AA, changed to RAC, then changed to Britannia for a better deal on joint membership than RAC would offer.

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - Manatee

I began to resent being gamed so brazenly by AA & RAC. They ask for an utterly rapacious amount from loyal customers.

A few will pay, either through inertia or misplaced faith that the biggest names will treat them fairly.

Even when they graciously knock 50% off they are still getting the highest prices in the market.

Perhaps the service is better, but I'd rather have something nearer to honesty.

Edited by Manatee on 23/06/2017 at 23:08

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - JohnX

I stopped paying for breakdown cover years back.Barclays premier , now changed to an ordinary Barclays account have a Travel Pack option at £15.50 a month. Thats £186 a year, which gives you airport lounge access, family travel insurance and comprehensive RAC breakdown cover.The advantage of this option is that it covers you regardless of the car you happen to be travelling in.

HSBC Premier have a similar account however I dont have the exact details.

Again Natwest has a Select Platinum account which costs £16 a month and includes worldwide multi-trip travel insurance, a £100 interest-free overdraft threshold, breakdown cover, two National Trust family day passes and annual tastecard membership

Most banks have some form of accounts with added benefits, and it will be worth checking with your bank before you shell out for breakdown cover separately.

Edited by JohnX on 24/06/2017 at 02:18

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - oldroverboy.

My renewal came up with Kwik fit, £21ish last year using quidco for everything except home start and euro. This year was going to be £79..ish

Went online via Moneysupermarket got £58.70 less 5% using a voucher code 5PCOFF at the checkout stage Full European cover with onward travel, homestart, hire car/accommodation up to generous limits with Start Rescue, who will do their best to find pet friendly breakdown operators.,

Used them once before about 7 years go when the MGZT would not start (fuel pump) very quick.

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - gordonbennet

Forty-odd quid from Autoaid!

Yes i too am with them, it's no longer pay and claim back for recovery, here's hoping that doesn't lead to a large increase in recoveries leading to higher premiums.

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - NARU

£133.50 with Green Flag through Caravan Club, includes home call, caravan/trailer cover, dual recovery (to holiday destination and home again), personal cover (insured in any car whether driver or not), extra care (chauffeur/car hire/legal expenses).

Not the cheapest but caravan cover essential really, and the price is the price as advertised by Caravan Club so no nonsense with bleeding the loyal customers by "tuning" the premium every year...

Same here. I like that there's no hassle and needing to negotiate each year. £133 is the top cover - there are cheaper options too.

I've only had to call them out twice.

Once when a tyre blew out, and the wheel had bonded to the hub so I couldn't get it off.

And then when I stupidly filled my new diesel car with petrol they drained the tank for me. Fortunately, I realised just as I was finishing up, so didn't start the engine.

I joined when I realised that if my caravan was on a site and my car broke down when I was out for the day, most recovery policies wouldn't bring the caravan back home. The caravan club scheme seems to have thought of everything.

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - Ethan Edwards

Not the cheapest but caravan cover essential really, and the price is the price as advertised by Caravan Club so no nonsense with bleeding the loyal customers by "tuning" the premium every year...

Same here. I like that there's no hassle and needing to negotiate each year. £133 is the top cover - there are cheaper options too.

I've only had to call them out twice.

Once when a tyre blew out, and the wheel had bonded to the hub so I couldn't get it off.

And then when I stupidly filled my new diesel car with petrol they drained the tank for me. Fortunately, I realised just as I was finishing up, so didn't start the engine.

I joined when I realised that if my caravan was on a site and my car broke down when I was out for the day, most recovery policies wouldn't bring the caravan back home. The caravan club scheme seems to have thought of everything.

I used to have the same issue with an old Beemer and it's alloys.

Easy to fix. Simply loosen the bolts a few turns lower the vehicle onto it's wheels and the vehicle weight now does the job for you. You may need to bounce it a bit but it will free up. The simply jack it up as normal. Put copper slip on the hub to prevent reoccurrence.

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - SLO76
I pay £0.00 and have done so for 20 of the last 23 years of driving. The RAC for example will still recover you if you're not a member, you'll have to join there's and then and pay and extra fee for this but it's not as high as you'd think and is vastly cheaper than forking out £100 a year on membership. Touch wood, despite spending many years smoking around in old trade ins I've only been stuck once with an old 1988 Mazda 323 when the distributor failed, fortunately just round the corner from my work.

An old school friend of mine recently had to call them out to recover his tatty Vauxhall Zafira and it cost £140 or so. So to summarise that's £140 also in 23yrs of driving for breakdown cover, id say that's value. It was a car I told him not to buy I should add, a totally abused ex mobility example.

Edited by SLO76 on 24/06/2017 at 10:05

Breakdown cover (for me at least) is similar to any other insurance policy, in that the main benefit is to provide some peace of mind in the constant game of chance we humans play against unforseen events. You don't take the cover out as an alternative to looking after your car properly, or at least you shouldn't do. You do so because you want to know that should the worst happen, help is available via one contact number, rather than having the hassle of ringing around local garages, IF you can find any who will come out.

Although in 30 years of AA membership I've only called on their services about half a dozen times and have probably paid a couple of grand in premiums during that time, I still find that card in my wallet a reassuring companion on any long journey.

However, if in the future that annual farce comes around and for once, they refuse to revisit an extortionate premium increase, well. I may start to look at things differently.

Edited by argybargy on 24/06/2017 at 10:34

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - skidpan

We pay £60 a year for rescue, recovery, at home and onward travel. Its a joint personal policy which covers both of us in all our 3 cars plus whatever else we happen to drive.

Its Aviva Rescue (you don't have to be insurred with them but we are and get about a tenner off) but the RAC provide the actual service, the phone number on the card is the RAC and they deal with all calls.

They cocked up a bit back when I had a fuel pump fail on the Caterham but they quickly agreed their level of service was below expections and sent me a £100 cheque.

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - Kekettykek

Same. I've broken down twice in my 20 years on the roads and on both occasions I paid a local recovery firm around £50 to tow me home. I would have paid thousands for breakdown cover over those years.

The thought of me (or my wife) attempting to change a tyre on a dark wet motorway makes me think it is perhaps a price worth paying ?

What troubles me is (as usual) the price !

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - leef

I get Roadside + Home start with Halifax as part of my account, then I ring AA every year and add Relay, because its a joint account my mrs is included. Should cost £71 a year but I got it down to £58 by saying no way and whats the best price they can offer. Mrs has used them twice in the last 3 years and I've used them once (2 flat batteries and a starter motor). Just the piece of mind of my Mrs and Kids being rescued if needed is worth at least tenner a month for me. I used to swap between AA and RAC every year and got hefty discounts everytime.

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - Broomhall
Like all of these things it is amazing the deals you can get. I do wonder with all of these deals how viable companies like the AA can be.
AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - Gibbo_Wirral

I use these for simple recovery and misfueling cover:

www.insurancechoice.co.uk/products/breakdown-cover.../

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 27/06/2017 at 13:39

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - leef

Well AA made £100m profit before tax for 16/17 accounts and average revenue of £141 per customer. I think they'll be fine.

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - KenMavor

I use my Tesco clubcard points to take out RAC home, roadside and recovery. Costs £62ish for 5 of the family and it has been invaluable. We get, I think, 7 call outs a year and with a daughter and two sons it gives me piece of mind that they wil be helped out when required.

So it really costs me nowt.

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - hillman

I get car cover as a part of the 'benefits' of paying for my bank account. You are advised not to do that because is regarded to be way for the banks to make money but it's a cheap way of doing it.

I was a member of the RAC before I went abroad and remember the patrolman saluting me as I went by on my motorcycle combination. The RAC didn't operate in Zambia but the AA did so I joined the AA. When I returned to the UK I rejoined the RAC. After a number of years the RAC made a mess of the accounts and asked me £40 less than I thought it should be for the annual subscription. I wrote to them and told them but they said that it was the right amount. A few months later they wrote to me demanding £40 that I had wrongly withheld. I wrote to them querying it and quoted their previous letter. Then I received a threat to put the bailiffs on me if I didn't cough up pronto. SWMBO hauled me down off the ceiling and I collected all the paraphernalia, old badges, keys to now non-existent roadside boxes etc. etc. and sent it to them with a cheque for £40 and a resignation letter. How their PR dept got my works number I don't know but I resisted their blandishments.

Then I rejoined the AA. Again after a number of years I realised that I was paying £350 plus a year when I could get the service for much less as a part of my bank account.

There was a change a couple of years and guess who the bank is now using to provide the car assistance service... (The RAC)

In almost 60 years of membership of car assistance services I have called for help four times.

Automobile Association under fire for car-crash handling of data breach

www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/04/aa_breach/

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - Wackyracer

I got a quote from Aviva for £73.39 which is half what I pay the RAC for the same level of service.

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - barney100

Just changed banks to Nationwide and breakdown cover is included. Admittedly it's ten £ a month but you get travel insurance, a hundred £ and all sorts of goodies...worth a look.

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - grumpyscot

For £7.50 a month via my bank account, I get worldwide multitrip insurance for me and wife, plus recovery / get you home etc from AA for any vehicle either of us are in, plus theft cover on all plastic cards plus theft and misuse cover on aall mobile phones registered to our address.

Seems a good deal to me since our last travel insurance cost us £120

AA finally admits data breach:

The breach affected 117,000 customers of the AA's online accessories store and resulted in the exposure of personal information (names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses) and, in some cases, partial credit card data (expiry dates and the final four digits of payment cards).

www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/10/aa_breach_analysi.../

Time to do 'battle' again with cost of renewal of AA membership

Last Year:

Roadside - £76.81, Home Start - £68.96, Relay - £72.22, Joint Membership - £47.71

Total = £265.70 haggled down to £170.00

This Year;

Roadside - £72.15, Home Start - £64.77, Relay - £67.84, Joint Membership - £44.79

Total = £249.55 so actually asking a little less than last year !

Even more stuff (like the Car Genie) that I don't actuall want - 'Free' !

Despite having been a member for 44 years maybe it is time to go elsewhere ?

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - Galaxy

I did my annual "Battle" with the AA about a month ago.

Best I could do, which took a couple of attempts, for Roadside and Recovery was the new members rate. I couldn't get anything better than that no matter what I said or how I tried. Off the top of my head I think I paid £99 which was about £20 more than I paid the previous year after that year's "Battle". I think they originally asked for £145 this year.

I might give Autoaid a try next year. If the AA were to ask for a sensible renewal fee every year then I'd probably just pay it. However, we go through this "Battle" every year and, to be quite honest, I'm getting rather fed-up with it.

I've never understood why existing members should be expected to pay a higher fee than new members.

They provide lots of extras which I know I'll never use, and I've told them so!

I suppose my own experience over the past 15 years is a measure of just how reliable so many cars are nowadays. About 1500 quid handed over, not one callout required.

As stated above, I have that same battle over an extortionate increase in the premium every year. Not a difficult one, but the outcome, rather than being satisfying, has become tediously predictable.

It would almost be a relief if they dug their heels in for once and refused to drop the price, giving me all the excuses I need to stop being so lazy and to go elsewhere.

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - barney100

They try it on, bump up the price and you have to threaten to join the RAC or someone else. Get a quote from another lot and the AA fe drops like a stone.

Thanks for your feedback - I too am just fed-up with their nonsense ! If it was, say a 5% incease I would just pay up. It's such a pain to haggle with them but I will give it a go and let you know what I manage to achieve..

I must admit I have used their services perhaps a dozen times in the last 40 odd years and generally it has been satisfactory ! Apart fom the time that the 'AA Man' wanted to plug his laptop in before doing the basics. He was upset that due to the age of my camper van there was no where to plug it in !

What aggravates me is the actual cost. I pay less than this for car insurance and from a business point the risks in breakdown costs must be much better than motor insurance. Even if they have to trawl the broken down vehicle to the other side of the counrty then the cost may be a few grand whereas a motor accident could cost millions with personal injuries ?

I am amused by the prices to a 'penny'. The nearest Pound would be reasonable. Another thought is that should I break down on a motorway it would probably cost a couple of hunded quid to get towed off so perhaps a good deal !

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - Big John

There are a few threads kicking about re breakdown insurance and there ara a few suggestions also doing the rounds:-

1) Autoaid , very comprehensive and cheap £48.31 / year (also available for 15 months at the same price if you look on a money savings site). Doesn;t cover breakdown in Europe though

2) GEM - a bit more but very comprehensive - my sister has tested numerous times! However also doesn't cover in Europe (important to me!)

3) Nationwide Flex + account £13/month (although mitigated by paying 3% interest on £2500 (£6+ a month back). EUROPE wide car(no age limit and two if joint) and personal breakdown cover, Family mobile phone and worldwide travel insurance. Worth a look especially if you drive in Europe. My son has kindly tested the breakdown and mobile phone aspects more than once!

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - Chris M

I've never bought breakdown cover in 40 years although I've had it free a couple of years. I used it once (Green Flag) when my battery suddenly died at the local B&Q. Wouldn't have mattered if I hadn't had the cover as I could have got a taxi home, bought some jump leads, got a bump start....

Even if I broke down on a motorway, a couple of hundred pounds should sort a tow. Value for money compared with the several thousand I haven't paid to the breakdown cover companies.

I guess it all depends how risk averse you are. The only insurance I buy are motor (compulsory) and house (potential loss is too large for my bank balance). I can't understand those who insure white goods.

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - Big John

I've never bought breakdown cover in 40 years although I've had it free a couple of years. I used it once (Green Flag) when my battery suddenly died at the local B&Q. Wouldn't have mattered if I hadn't had the cover as I could have got a taxi home, bought some jump leads, got a bump start....

Even if I broke down on a motorway, a couple of hundred pounds should sort a tow. Value for money compared with the several thousand I haven't paid to the breakdown cover companies.

I guess it all depends how risk averse you are. The only insurance I buy are motor (compulsory) and house (potential loss is too large for my bank balance). I can't understand those who insure white goods.

Agree re white goods, but not re breakdown. I have memories as a child of sleeping in my parents car overnight next to a roundabout after our Cortina had overheated and melted a piston. I've bought breakdown cover ever since - I wouldn;t risk anything else especially re family.

My son broke down a couple of years ago on Christmas eve after returning to his uni bar job after leaving his lights on. Without breakdown cover he wouldn't have had christmas with us - fortunately covered under my NW Flex+ policy.

I gave in and renewed after a charming and persuasive agent called to remind me my membership was due for renewal. I removed the 'Home Start' service and paid about £143.00 - which is still a lot I know.

He had answers for every question and argument I had for getting the price down and I eventually gave in ! He also reminded me about the 'free' Car Genie about which I have posted.

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - Galaxy

You have to tell them that you're leaving because it's too expensive. The only answer they have to that statement is to drastically reduce the price!

You didn't negotiated hard enough, MikeM100, I'm afraid, if you're paying £143 for just Roadside and Recovery.

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - Falkirk Bairn

>>Roadside and Recovery £143 - saw him coming

Target price for R&R, Homestart etc etc should be around £50 - I paid £52 to Green Flag last year & the year before

AA Member paying £143 = Mug

Toyota Club - my son pays £60 IIRC - full cover

IMHO the OP was shafted

Yes, I know this wasn't the best deal but I did get joint membership for this price. I must also admit that when I have used them they have not been too bad !

Both our cars are a bit knackered so the risk of breakdown is likely to be higher. I promise that next year I will sit down and do my homework properly !

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - scot22

Like your style.

"Like your style" Me too. Obviously I don't know your financial situation but why not get the mugs who pay year after year without ever claiming to subsidise you.

I don't feel any need to support those who can't be bothered to check their cars out once in a while. Have a peek under the bonnet at fluid levels, check tyres, notice the battery is struggling a bit in the morning.....

I realise some things can fail unexpectedly, and if I regularly travelled hundreds of miles from home or took the car to Europe, I may well join the risk averse among you. Until then, I'll take my chances.

I'm looking at paying around £30 for breakdown cover on my next renewal, I can't see the point in going for the "big boys".

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - Ethan Edwards

Rac tried it on again. I got a price from Coloured Flag and rang to cancel. Oh they said Flag wont do xyz for that price. I said dont care xyz isnt on my RAC either. Oh they said and matched the price. After many years being a member if they try it again they are losing a member.

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - scot22

Whenever I'm quoted an excessive price I don't spend time negotiating. I simply find something better elsewhere, and change. I don't want to stay with any organization that is obviously trying to exploit me.

AA Membership - How Much Do You Actually Pay ? - Hugh Watt

W I don't want to stay with any organization that is obviously trying to exploit me.

The thing is, that better "shop-around" price you get is essentially predicated on the exploitation of other unthinking full-price customers, as a hook to draw you in. It's a business model that one just has to stay the right side of - no point reacting with any emotion. IMHO.

"Member". Do you think that word is part of the problem here. Once upon a time, the RAC and AA were motoring clubs of which you were a member, but now they are just insurance policies. "Member" evokes loyalty which clearly neither organisation has any of to its customers otherwise they wouldn't try and screw you each year.

"Member". Do you think that word is part of the problem here. Once upon a time, the RAC and AA were motoring clubs of which you were a member, but now they are just insurance policies. "Member" evokes loyalty which clearly neither organisation has any of to its customers otherwise they wouldn't try and screw you each year.

How interesting ! My 'membership' card informs me that I have been a (loyal) member for 44 years and emotionally I am in some way 'attached' to this organisation that I joined as a mere lad. The fact that it is now run by a bunch of what might be called vulture capitalists seems to have escaped my rational self !

I have the same 'thing' with banking - I remember my Dad taking me down to the local Lloyds Bank (or was it the Trustee Savings Bank) and opening an account with them !

It's a funny thing is 'loyalty' ! Bit like 'decency' - going, going, gone ! I read these posts and am so disappointed by the tales of the meaness of car manufacturers and their dealers