Ford Focus 2004 1.6 petrol FYDB - Ford Focus 2004 1.6 cambelt change problem? - mark25

Hi All.

I'm new to Ford DIY...

Car: Ford Focus 2004 1.6v petrol

Engine: FYDB

I just changed the cambelt on my girlfriends Ford Focus and now the valves seem to hit the pistons on cylinders 2 and 3. One cylinder when i turn the crank clockwise, the other cylinder when i turn the crank anti-clockwise.

This seems like a timing problem. However, I used the correct length crank timing pin, i bought the tool. Also the cams are locked properly with the bar..

Any ideas why this may be happening?

All suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mark

Ford Focus 2004 1.6 petrol FYDB - Ford Focus 2004 1.6 cambelt change problem? - galileo

Cambelt tension too low allowing backlash?

Ford Focus 2004 1.6 petrol FYDB - Ford Focus 2004 1.6 cambelt change problem? - mark25

I don"t think so as i tried the old cambelt tensoiner and there was no difference.

also i counted the teeth on the cambelts, both have 117....

Ford Focus 2004 1.6 petrol FYDB - Ford Focus 2004 1.6 cambelt change problem? - Wackyracer

Did you follow the correct proceedure? You are supposed to loosen the cam pulleys and to tighten them only after you have tensioned the belt.

yes i did.

Ford Focus 2004 1.6 petrol FYDB - Ford Focus 2004 1.6 cambelt change problem? - hardway

Take out #1 spark plug and insert a long thin rod or screwdriver and rotate the engine until it rises/falls stops.

This will confirm TDC.

Now check your timing pin.

I have done that.

Ford Focus 2004 1.6 petrol FYDB - Ford Focus 2004 1.6 cambelt change problem? - hardway

so when you slackened off the cam sprocket center bolts did you give them a little tap off to make sure the were free?

Tension is applied to loose sprokets,

Cams locked via the plate on the other end and through the slots.

So when you turn the crank pully nut it moves the belt but not the cams?

One other Qu,

Where are the cam lobes pointing when locked?

I.E from the cam belt end looking at them are say the lobes of each cam pointing up and back for the inlet,

and up and forward on the EX?

Ford Focus 2004 1.6 petrol FYDB - Ford Focus 2004 1.6 cambelt change problem? - JONATHAN_11_80

If the pistons are hitting the valves the timing is all wrong. You need to do the job again to retrace your steps. If the flywheel isnt locked and you tighten the crank bolt the timing can move. You have to set piston 1 at tdc and insert the crank pin making sure the crank is touching this and then try and fit the cam timing tool i expect this will be out.

All three sprokets were totally free of their respective shafts when i aplied the tensioner and did the bolts up. With the cam locking plate in place the vavles of cylinder 1 are shut, the exhaust is going to open first, then the inlet.

The pistons of cyliner 2 and 3 will not go to TDC. It is as if there's something in one of the cylinders, like a bolt.... there isn't. they both seem to be hitting valves.

I wonder if a bent the crank loosening the crank pulley bolt.......?

I used a long bar and held the engine still using the brakes while in gear.

Well you can get a pretty accurate idea with the rod down #1 plug hole at TDC then BDC,

mark the rod with masking tape and biro the respective positions,

Then do all the other cylinders. Compare each.

Accurate enough that I've used this technique on diesels and got good results.

But I doubt you damaged either crank or rods.

I think you have just messed up the cam timing.

Take the belt off,

now turn the crank back say 90 degrees to get the pistons out the way.

now turn the cam until the steer plate engages,

making sure #1 cams are in the correct position,

I can't remeber if the can be 180 degrees out but check,

you can do it by eye lining up the slot in the rear until it's horizontal.

And if I recall when correct the guide plate can be tight to go in and "may" need rocking or a small tap.

Now for mechanics basics.

4 stoke engine with firing order 1.3.4.2.

So with #1 on compression #3 is on induction so inlet valve should be opening and so on.

So what I'm getting at is it's possible you've set it up for#4.

So with the piston still half way down big spanner on the cam forging and turn it until the slot is horriizontal and the exhaust cam is pointing towards the front of the engine.

same procedure with the inlet but the inlet cam lobe for #1 is facing towards the rear of the engine

If i recall valve spring makes this a bit of a pig as it tries to turn the cam back against you.

I think I used a thin bit of angle steel to temporary lock the cam rotation.

All the time remebering/checking firing order 1.3.4.2.

Refit the cam timing plate at the end.

bar down the plug hole then turn the crank to #1TDC.

Tension the belt the lock the cam sprokets then see if it'll turn over by hand with the plugs out.

Go slow so if it's still wrong you wont damage the valves.

Ford Focus 2004 1.6 petrol FYDB - Ford Focus 2004 1.6 cambelt change problem? - John F

The Ford Zetec 1.6 cambelt design is good. It is large, sturdy and only drives a couple of small camshafts. Umpteen years ago the advice was 10yrs /100,000m. I sometimes wonder if a sample of 1000 of these engines with belts changed (often inexpertly, with inferior belt/tension pulley replacement) at the advised time/distance would suffer more problems than 1000 engines left alone until either the car died for other reasons or the belt/pulley was changed only when odd noises or burning smell were detected.

I have no intention of changing our Xreg Focus 123,000m belt unless such symptoms occur - I think it will probably last the life of the car if the tension pulley remains serviceable. I feel sympathy for the OP's g/friend!