Taking the Dog - Travelling to belgium by ferry - oldroverboy.

We are travelling to Belgium in the car in a couple of weeks, car prepared, dog prepared, lots of stuff to keep her happy travelling and rest stops programmed for pipi patrol....

Seat harness fitted etc. Dogs welcome Hotel!

Any suggestions for EU breakdown cover? have found AXA for £55 for the year inc UK as other break down cover due to expire? Anyone used them?

Hs anyone had any particular issues travelling with a Pooch?

Taking the Dog - Travelling to belgium by ferry - NARU

Our dog was very pleased with the aircon in the boot of our new Sorento! (It's there for the third row passenger when the rear seats are in use).

Many (most?) breakdown covers only allow the dog in the recovery lorry cab at the drivers discretion. If if's a long journey, it would be cruel to have the dog travel in the car in the heat.

Having said that, the only time I've had a problem was when a car went into the back of my estate, and the boot would no longer stay closed. It was near home, so I was able to get my wife to come and collect the dog, and I drove home with the boot wide open.

Taking the Dog - Travelling to belgium by ferry - Vitesse6

Have just moved to a Nationwide Flex account, fee is £120 per year but has worldwide travel insurance and European breakdown cover as benefits. Breakdown covers any vehicle an account holder is in and even covers my Hymer A class motorhome.

Taking the Dog - Travelling to belgium by ferry - Steveieb
The Nationwide Flex plus is a great account but as I've mentioned on this site their agentrefused to
Transport my dog in the recovery vehicle leaving me stranded at Donnington Services. They use LV Brittania who come top in Which.
You will find it written in almost all the recovery companies terms and. Conditions that they will NOT transport pets.
I phone around the other companies and only STaRT recovery said that it was not in their Tand Cs and would do their best to arrange a recovery agent prepared to take dogs.
So having spent a hot afternoon stranded with a dog I can't emphasise enough checking the t s and Cs of your proposed companies
Taking the Dog - Travelling to belgium by ferry - Brit_in_Germany

Don't forget the need for tapeworm treatment before returning.

www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/tapeworm-treatment-dogs

Don't forget the need for tapeworm treatment before returning.

www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/tapeworm-treatment-dogs

Got that one! But thanks. In Bruges.

Ended up buying Start rescue annual 5 star euro cover for £55.57 using a voucher code 5pcoff at the point where details filled in.

Taking the Dog - Travelling to belgium by ferry - RaineMan

All dogs like humans are different - some travel well and others do not. It is a good idea to check this before you go as you may decide kennelling is kinder.

I have had to be recovered with a dog and it very much depeds on the driver of the recovery vehcle. They may for instance be scared of dogs because of previous experience or be allergic to pet hair. The most annoying I have had of this was when I booked a taxi and told them I had a dog with me and they sent a driver who did not want a dog in his cab. Cue ear bashing for his controller!

Taking the Dog - Travelling to belgium by ferry - Steveieb

Glad you got fixed up with Start , Old Rover boy. They gave me a very positive response when i asked them about their dog policy. and also arranged a taxi for an elderly relative when the car she was traveklling in broke a road spring and needed to be recovered, when they realised she was having difficulty climbing into the recovery truck.

Recently Start have been awarded the Which best buy for recovery companies.

Thanks. Good to know ¡

If you are ever near Colchester come for a pint.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 24/06/2017 at 17:53