Mondeo mk 3 - EGR Valve blanked - problems since - Bigshaun

I blanked my Egr off and ever since all I've had it no performance it's like being in limp mode. There is no power anymore It takes about 30 seconds to get to 60mph. I don't understand what I've done wrong. I've double and triple checked everything and everything is nice and tight and in place. I've reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery for an hour but this hasn't changed anything only my bad for forgetting to set the automatic windows back up...ooops.

Can anybody help?

Mondeo mk 3 - EGR Valve blanked - problems since - RobJP

Put an EGR valve in, so it runs like it was designed to when it left the factory ?

The whole point was I had the flashing coil light and it was either spend a lot of money or a few quid for a pipe which is supposed to give better performance and better mpg . To be fair I did get a week out of a difference before it went wrong.

Edited by Bigshaun on 18/06/2017 at 15:18

Mondeo mk 3 - EGR Valve blanked - problems since - skidpan

So you were daft enough to belive a bloke in a shed who tells you that he can improve performance and economy on a car Ford spent millions developing.

Take it to a Ford dealer and get it repaired properly.

So all them thousands of post of people claiming it's better to do it. Guessing they are daft to? Taking it to a ford dealer I might as well say hey here my wages for the month that should cover it. I've come for advice and all you can do is basically say hey go waste your money.

So all them thousands of post of people claiming it's better to do it. Guessing they are daft to?

In a word yes. Its also illegal since its a modification to the homogated emmision kit fitted when manufactured. You should also tell your insurers when you modify your car or cover could be refused.

Taking it to a ford dealer I might as well say hey here my wages for the month that should cover it. I've come for advice and all you can do is basically say hey go waste your money.

You have already wasted your money. My suggestion will fix your car.

Basically, if every bit of snake oil bull that was sold as 'increasing power and reducing fuel use' was true, we'd all be driving around in 400bhp cars doing 85mpg.

You have learnt that the marketing is a load of crap. Because it was : you aren't getting more power and better economy.

Spending money on fake fixes is nearly always a waste of time. Yes, it MAY work for SOME people. But to assume it WILL always work is the act of a fool.

Mondeo mk 3 - EGR Valve blanked - problems since - Railroad.

So, the OP blanks his EGR valve and then complains that his car feels like it's in limp mode. Well guess what? THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT WILL HAPPEN!

When the EGR valve is closed there's only one way for the engine to draw air. Through the air intake via the mass air flow sensor. But when the EGR valve is open there are two ways. This means that the air passing the MAF sensor reduces. The ECM recognises this reduction in air flow and that's how it knows the EGR valve has opened when commanded. If there is no reduction in air flow the ECM will not know if the EGR valve has opened. It will then reduce engine power so that NOx emission levels are maintained.

So the OP should refit his EGR valve and ensure it's clean and working if he wants to restore engine power.

Fyi broken nose problem fixed. There me thinking you lot knew EVERYTHING

Mondeo mk 3 - EGR Valve blanked - problems since - FP

"There me thinking you lot knew EVERYTHING"

The replies have been blunt, but nothing more. The advice is offered as we see it.

And I have to say that there have been countless posters who didn't like the answers when they asked for advice. By all means ignore it and go elsewhere.

I think the problem is not wanting to feel you have made a mistake by blanking off the EGR valve, but that's what it was - a mistake. We all make them.

Mondeo mk 3 - EGR Valve blanked - problems since - Metropolis.
This is NOT a mistake, actually it's better for the engine not to be re-breathing all that filthy air. Ever looked in past the EGR valve? invariably it's almost blocked with soot. It's a popular mod on land rover TD5s, doesn't cause any issues. Case in point is that Land Rover didn't fit the EGR to export models! TD5s were produced till 2007.

The mistake here is not the EGR blank, but most likely an ECU issue.

It's just emissions rubbish and sooner it's gotten rid of the better.

I'm sure people said the same when the Clean Air Act came in to get rid of the city smogs on the 40s and 50s ... Or when we stopped using lead in petrol ...

The EGR valve gets 'gummed up', over enough time, yes. But it's purpose is to re-combust some of the exhaust gasses (which have been through incomplete combustion), and therefore to reduce the amount of pollution pushed out the tailpipe.

The EGR valve gets 'gummed up', over enough time, yes. But it's purpose is to re-combust some of the exhaust gasses (which have been through incomplete combustion), and therefore to reduce the amount of pollution pushed out the tailpipe.

It's not so much to re-combust, it's intended to reduce combustion temperature which in turn means lower levels of Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx). This is because the exhaust gas has a much lower oxygen content. The EGR valve must be closed at engine idle and at full load, otherwise the engine will not run very well. It opens during cruise conditions, when it's effect will not be noticed by the driver.

Mondeo mk 3 - EGR Valve blanked - problems since - 3uga

Tdci has the dpfe sensor that checks for egr activity and dpf saturation. Only a remap can get rid of egr. Flashing coil means dpf needs regen or replacement.

Also, Egr error can be detected by faulty or stuck intake air controll/intercooler bypass valves

Mondeo mk 3 - EGR Valve blanked - problems since - SLO76

Tdci has the dpfe sensor that checks for egr activity and dpf saturation. Only a remap can get rid of egr. Flashing coil means dpf needs regen or replacement.

Also, Egr error can be detected by faulty or stuck intake air controll/intercooler bypass valves

Mk III doesn't have a DPF. They came in with the Mk IV and the PSA 2.0 TDCi

This is NOT a mistake, actually it's better for the engine not to be re-breathing all that filthy air. Ever looked in past the EGR valve? invariably it's almost blocked with soot. It's a popular mod on land rover TD5s, doesn't cause any issues. Case in point is that Land Rover didn't fit the EGR to export models! TD5s were produced till 2007.

The mistake here is not the EGR blank, but most likely an ECU issue.

My view is simple on this matter.

As well as meeting the vissible smoke requirements if you modify a car and it no longer meets the required emmisions requirements the car should be taken off the road. The owner should get a certain amount of time to get it fixed by an approved garage after which they wopuld forfit the car which would then be crushed or if of suitable market value resold by auction after rectification.

The owner should also get a huge fine for their trouble.

Having seen many modfied diesels locally most of which are drive by young idiots with their caps on back to front displaying "dirty diesel" stickers on the boot belching out huge clouds of black smoke as they boot the throttle there should be one additional penalty. They should be forced to stand behind the car in a sealed workshop while the engine is revved to max for one hour. If they die during the period, tough, if they survive they will surely remember the missery they inflict on others when they are driving irresponsibly.

The purpose of the EGR system is not to reduce smoke density, but to reduce NOx which is the harmful pollutant. The smoke test which is carried out during the MOT test only measures overall smoke density. It does not measure individual pollutants within the smoke. Not yet anyway.

The purpose of the EGR system is not to reduce smoke density, but to reduce NOx which is the harmful pollutant. The smoke test which is carried out during the MOT test only measures overall smoke density. It does not measure individual pollutants within the smoke. Not yet anyway.

Matters not, smoke is carcenogenic which is one of the reasons DPF were introduced.

Breathing/lung problems are no joke so ban the bar stewards.

NOx usualy forms at high temperatures and high presures. Geting exhaust gases into the intake means less oxigen in the combustion chamber and lower combustion temperatures, reducing the formatin of NOx.
NOx forms at such high temperatures that is bad for engine. Those temperature get to a point suficient to melt aluminium...

I don't get how you think it;s not ok if "esteticly" a diesel to produce a little black smoke on high accelerations but ok for it to to polute the same if it's visibly pleasant.

I see your point of view on those so called "coal runners" but other than that....no.

I'll take through some things thet I consider happens withe the PSA engine that uses eolys:

- You trap all that soot into the dpf to release it later on with some added toxic eolys.

-Not only the toxicity of eolys bthers me, but the price. With a minimum wage of 300E in my country you have to spend a hell of a lot money on that useless refill.

- As a car owner that hadn't expected to buy a car that self destroys it's turbo because of a stupid and bad implemented ideea, why should I be the one that suffers financialy.

- Another thing, Eliminatig the dpf on some euro4 engines won't increes emisions higher than what euro4 standard requires. For euro 4 dpf is optional, but on e5 is mandatory.

Mondeo mk 3 - EGR Valve blanked - problems since - RT

Euro 4 is a poor standard of diesel emissions - the whole of the EU is complaining about diesel emissions so the sooner Euro 4 diesels are taken off the road, the better for each of those countries.

Mondeo mk 3 - EGR Valve blanked - problems since - Kekettykek

II'll go against the consensus here and say that blanking the EGR is quite a sensible thing to do in many cases. I did it on my 1.8 tdci Focus and got noticably smoother running and 2-3 extra MPG, a no-brainer for a £2 piece of metal. The only purpose of EGRs is to fudge Euro standards and outside of the lab they make little difference in overall emissions.

The problem that OP has come up against is that it can sometimes confuse ECUs and in worst cases can lead to limp-home mode. Sometimes drilling a small hole in the blank may be enough to keep it happy, at worst a full software delete is called for; many remappers can provide this service.

Mondeo mk 3 - EGR Valve blanked - problems since - RT

II'll go against the consensus here and say that blanking the EGR is quite a sensible thing to do in many cases. I did it on my 1.8 tdci Focus and got noticably smoother running and 2-3 extra MPG, a no-brainer for a £2 piece of metal. The only purpose of EGRs is to fudge Euro standards and outside of the lab they make little difference in overall emissions.

The problem that OP has come up against is that it can sometimes confuse ECUs and in worst cases can lead to limp-home mode. Sometimes drilling a small hole in the blank may be enough to keep it happy, at worst a full software delete is called for; many remappers can provide this service.

That's simply not true - working EGRs reduce NOx considerably - indeed those diesels with Adblue, which deals with NOx, have their EGR function much reduced.

Given the flak that VW has got, the realisation the EU-NEDC test is useless and the general attitude to diesels, the public and politicians alike have no time for rule-breakers who disable EGRs illegally.

O my giddy aunt, another expert who has been watch U Tube.

You know what the definition of a expert is?

An ex is a has been

A spert is a drip under pressure

Mondeo mk 3 - EGR Valve blanked - problems since - S40 Man

I tend to agree that a working EGR is a better more be responsible way forward. If you choose to keep it then look into the pipe/blanking b plate. Does it have a hole in it? If not do 2 or 3 8-10 mm holes and then refit. This can reduce flow of egr gas but as another poster mentioned won't confuse sir flow meter.

How do you get rid of annoying Australia banner? Makes typing on a phone a real ball ache!