Vauxhall combo van 1.3 - Engine light has come on car with spanner - Will Poole

i have a 1.3 diesel combo van engine light came on a few weeks ago then went off.

it has now come back on but will go off once the engine has been turned off then after about 2mins comes back on have run diagnostic but no faults where found. have removed and cleaned MAP sensor as advised but still no change has anyone got any ideas?

Vauxhall combo van 1.3 - Engine light has come on car with spanner - elekie&a/c doctor

If the light is on ,then some fault should be stored.I would check the glow plugs and brake light operation.What scanner/tester are you using?

Vauxhall combo van 1.3 - Engine light has come on car with spanner - RT

There are basic scanners and brand-specific scanners - if the light is on but no code found, it's probably not a brand-specific one.

not sure what type of code reader was used brake lights are all ok but interia lights are not working.but they were like this before light came on.

van starts 1st time so thought that the glow plugs would be fine can these be tested?

also have ordered a new map sensor as the one i cleaned was covered in a sticky soot like material so wasn't sure if it was still working.

Vauxhall combo van 1.3 - Engine light has come on car with spanner - Railroad.

If you are just going to guess at the fault you may as well just stick a piece of black tape over the warning light so you can't see it. You need a proper scantool, not only to read fault codes but also for live data checks. Guesswork isn't going to get you anywhere.

as far as i know my friend used his code reader which has worked on any other vauxhall he has checked before.

you are right i am guessing but 20 quid for a map sensor i thought was worth a shout?

if that doesnt work then guess i will have to book it in and get it checked by a garage.

put the post on here as i was hoping that somebody else may have had a similar problem as i know very little about cars/vans and are learning as i go.

apart from the light the van is running fine just wanted to get it sorted before it leads to something more serious with costing me a fortune.

turned out to be EGR valve warning light was coming on after the engine had been running for a few minutes.