Ford Focus Estate - Fans not working - Geoff Lee

Hi

I have a Ford Focus Estate 2003 and noticed that i have warm air blowing through even when on cold, checked and it appears both fans near radiator are not working.

How can this be fixed?

Thanks

Ford Focus Estate - Fans not working - elekie&a/c doctor
Is the car fitted with a/con?if yes,then does it work?

Hi

Yes aircon is working on all settings within car but is blowing warm air when on the cold setting, i am thinking it is the Temperature sensor in the engine. Just need a comfirmation of what it could be and how can i fix this myself

Thanks

Ford Focus Estate - Fans not working - skidpan

Are you sure the engine is getting hot enough to need the fans. From memory stage 1 is 100 degrees, stage 2 is 110 degrees. You need to be stopped in traffic for quite a while to reach even 100 degrees. Ignore the gauge, its not linear. It does not budge off normal (90 degrees approx.) until after the stage 2 fan comes on.

Fords of this vintage had an electronic heat control valve instead of the mechanical valves used in earlier models. Unfortunately it does fail. I had one fail in the middle of winter when it stuck on the cold setting and one that failed in the summer in the hot setting. A new valve cured it both times, about £40 a time for the part 15 years ago, 1/2 am hour to fit. In that car it was just inside a bukhead cover accessed form under the bonnet, just follow the heater pipes. I clamped the pipes to prevent coolant loss so no antifreeze required.

Edited by skidpan on 05/06/2017 at 17:19

A few points here.If the a/c is working correctly ,then the cooling fan(s)will switch on a few seconds after the a/c switch is pressed.This is followed by the compressor clutch engagement.Carefully feel the pipes attached onto the a/c pump,with the system on ,one pipe should be hot,and the other cold.If both pipes are the same temp,then the a/c is not working.The hot/cold control is cable operated onto a blend flap.Focus models have never had a water valve as fitted to some Fiesta and Ka models.If the car is not overheating,then it is likely the fans are working correctly.

Hi

just to confirm that heater is working in car but only warm air is coming out, when i press a/c none of the fans are working. The temp gauge is staying at a constant 50/50 on the dial but i am not hearing any fans turn on even on a very hot day....verdict i believe is the fans sensor but which one and how do i change

Thanks again

If there is only warm air out the heater,then I would assume the a/con is not working.If the cooling fans are not working at all ,then the car will be overheating on a hot day with coolant being pushed out the expansion tank.There is no dedicated fan sensor switch.

Ford Focus Estate - Fans not working - RT

Has the aircon gas pressure been tested - if it's low/zero the system won't operate - it may just need re-gassing but could be system leaks.