Reliable used big hatch back / small estate - samsurrey

Hi all

Any advice very much appreciated! It's time to get rid of my old Jeep, I no longer have the need for an off roader and it's too big and too costly in repairs! I am really struggling to come up with a car that fits my requirements ... I have two children so need a family car, that can also fit a German Shepherd in the boot (on occasion, not daily or long distances). However I don't want anything too big to park and I really want something reliable as I've have spent a small fortune on my jeep! Budget will be up to £8000.

Any recommendations would be great!

Thanks

Sam

Edited by samsurrey on 31/05/2017 at 00:02

Reliable used big hatch back / small estate - SLO76
What sort of usage will it see, mostly local stop start running or distance driving? Also roughly how many miles are you doing in a year? £8k is a healthy enough budget if you have sensible ambitions.

Thanks very much for your reply. The car will generally be doing a 15 mile round trip to work via school run, so stop start! Slightly longer drive at the weekend for the stables, but even then it's only a 20 mile round trip. I reckon I do about 7K miles in a year. I'm sure there must be something out there, just seems hatchbacks are generally a bit too small, but I don't need an SUV or MPV particularly!

Push your budget up a little and you'll find the very robust and practical UK built Toyota Auris 1.6 estate within reach. Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170517553...1

The Honda Civic 1.8 estate is also excellent and long lived but you'll need around £11k for one. Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170414443...1

The Kia Cee'd estate is another worthy option but although cheaper to buy they drop in value faster so overall it's unlikely you'll save much if at all. Both the Civic and Auris are easy to sell on if looked after.

Edited by SLO76 on 31/05/2017 at 11:30

Reliable used big hatch back / small estate - HopLane

Not used, so I'm not hitting the requirement exactly, but a NEW Dacia Logan MCV / Maximum Capacity Vehicle (= Estate) 75 SCe Access (base model) with a real spare wheel and a 7-year / 100,000 mile extended warranty comes in at £8245, I believe.

Seven years of warrantied motoring; only tax, insurance and servicing to pay for.

Thank you, I have seen a lot of Dacia Dusters on the road, but hadn't thought about the Logan so will have a look I'm to them.

Edited by samsurrey on 31/05/2017 at 14:09

Reliable used big hatch back / small estate - Engineer Andy

SLO76 (given your wealth of experience), would it be worth the OP considering a Mazda5 1.8 petrol or a Ford Focus Estate/C-Max (1.6 Zetec petrol engine version [wasn't sure if they did it in the 1.8 shared with the Mazda)?

I suspect the estates are better on the usable room stakes though if you need to house a dog in the boot.

SLO76 (given your wealth of experience), would it be worth the OP considering a Mazda5 1.8 petrol or a Ford Focus Estate/C-Max (1.6 Zetec petrol engine version [wasn't sure if they did it in the 1.8 shared with the Mazda)?

I suspect the estates are better on the usable room stakes though if you need to house a dog in the boot.

The Mazda 5 is a good big family wagon but I was thinking a 7str MPV was a bit overkill here. The Focus Mk III didn't use the 1.8 Mazda petrol but the Mk II did and would make a decent cheaper option. The MK III is fine with the Yamaha designed 1.6 petrol but avoid the 1.6 diesels and 1.0 Ecoboost. Resale is weak on Focus estates though.

Thanks for all the advice, that really has helped me narrow it down. I would love an auris estate and would definitely be my first choice, but if I can't quite get there budget wise then I will look in to the Ford focus my II or mark III 1.6 Petrol (not sure what years mark II and III were but will Google it now!) Thanks again.

Thank you, the focus estate does look like a good cheaper option!

Reliable used big hatch back / small estate - badbusdriver

If you aren't too bothered about image, you can get a new, or very nearly new, Dacia logan mcw. Choice of 1.2 n/a (75bhp) or 0.9 turbo (89bhp) petrol, or 1.5 turbo diesel (85bhp). It is a fairly small car, being based on previous generation Renault clio, but being the estate version (of the sandero), has a boot plenty big enough for a German Shepherd.

Reliable used big hatch back / small estate - Avant

SLO's suggestions are good ones: you could add a petrol Skoda Fabia or Octavia estate, although you'd need one that has a movable boot floor so that it can be raised to the level opf the rear bumper for your Alsatian to get in easily. Or as Andy suggets, a Ford Focus estate - there wll be plenty of these around to choose from. Avoid diesels.

Edited by Avant on 31/05/2017 at 13:34