Peugeot 207 CC - Recovery Service whilst carrying a pet - Steveieb

My partners 207 CC broke down at the airport car park today. No steering ABS battery light, the works.

Called Brittania Rescue and told them that there was two passengers and a dog.

Waited over an hour for the first van arrived who declared the alternator had failed and the car needed recovering, but there may be a problem taking the dog.

The recovery truck arrive and company policy dictated that they could not travel in the cab but could be placed in the car on its own.

Not wanting to stress the dog on one of the hottest days after a wait of almost three hours i refused and I was left at the airport while the car and my partner travelled to the repair garage over 1 and a half hours away.

But is the same ploicy for all breakdown companies and do they leave it until you have broken down before they break the news.

Peugeot 207 CC - Recovery Service whilst carrying a pet - RichT54

I just check my Audi Assistance policy (which is provided by the AA) and it says:

"If there are animals in the Vehicle, their onward transportation is at Our sole discretion and
is carried out solely at Your risk. We will not insure any animal or livestock in transit, during
any onward transportation."

Peugeot 207 CC - Recovery Service whilst carrying a pet - Bromptonaut

The recovery truck arrive and company policy dictated that they could not travel in the cab but could be placed in the car on its own.

That's outrageous. Irrespective of psychological effect on dog have they not seen/heard about RSPCA etc campaigns about dogs (which cannot regulate their temperature like primates) shut up in cars?

Albeit there is scope for problems with certain animals surely the average house trained pet is no problem?

Peugeot 207 CC - Recovery Service whilst carrying a pet - bathtub tom
Albeit there is scope for problems with certain animals surely the average house trained pet is no problem?

Nowadays the 'average house trained pet' is likely to be a pit-bull. I certainly wouldn't want to be in close proximity of many of them I see.

What are the chances of someone owning a status symbol dog maintaing a car properly and how much more likely is it to require recovery?

Peugeot 207 CC - Recovery Service whilst carrying a pet - daveyjp
It is down to the purchaser of insurance to ensure the cover meets their needs.

There are terms and conditions which need agreeing to, they are provided before you purchase. Read them three times, the exclusions five, and ensure they will provide cover when you need it,
Peugeot 207 CC - Recovery Service whilst carrying a pet - JEREMYH

I would not be happy

You were treated like a dog !

Peugeot 207 CC - Recovery Service whilst carrying a pet - Brit_in_Germany

Can't see any problem with putting the dog in the car with the windows slightly open.

Thank you for al your replies.
This restriction in the recovery service needs to be drawn to the attention of insurance holders.
But are Brittania Rescue the only service that operates this policy to refuse to allow dogs into the rescue truck?
I suggest this restriction ought to be pointed out more clearly by the recovery companies before the inevitable happens.
In my case I was left stranded 60 miles from home but I could have been a lot further away.
I forgot to add that I was left stranded at East Midlands Airport Service area which has no bus service , but luckily my son was able to rescue me
Peugeot 207 CC - Recovery Service whilst carrying a pet - daveyjp
Just checked grren flag and there is a statement about transporting animals. Not difficult to find and fully explained.
Peugeot 207 CC - Recovery Service whilst carrying a pet - tourantass
Just like the dogs that savage young kids, were no problem upto that point.

Seems to be the industry standard that pets must travel in the broken down vehicle. But on a very hot day the idea of leaving a dog in a hot car with no A/C working , being towed behind a breakdown truck was simply not an option I would consider.

Finally found a company that applies common sense to the problem by leaving the decision to the driver. No wonder they have jumped to become a Which Recommended provider in such a short time.

Another relative broke down 40 miles from home late one Sunday evening and an elderly mother cdould not climb into the recovery vehicle so Start sent a taxi to pick them up and recovered the vehicle.

Just received an email from a family who were broken down at the motorway services on the same busy day as myself , just before the holiday weekend.
Brittania Rescue were out to me within less than an hour and recovered to my garage 80 miles away in four hours.
Whereas the unlucky family whose Mercedes had snapped a belt did not get recovered until 0200 the next morning and they had two children on board.

So on reflection I can only praise LV for their speedy recovery service on the hottest busiest day of the year. Understand that the reason is they pay their recovery agents promptly unlike some others.

But be wary of the fact that most recovery contracts don't cover pets.
Peugeot 207 CC - Recovery Service whilst carrying a pet - skidpan

Not pet related but at the end of April I taxed the Caterham ready for the summer. First trip ou the engine started to missfire on the A46 just as I was passing a pull off, it ground to a halt shortly after. Quick check showed no priming noise from the low pressure fuel pump but the fuse was OK so looked like a dead fuel pump. Rang Aviva Rescue whose number puts you direct to the RAC. Told them the problem, they said I was a priority due to my location on a major trunk road and I would be attended to withing 45 minutes, this was at 12.45 pm on a slow Sunday.

Patrol rang me 15 minutes later, he was about 6 miles away changing a wheel on another car. Discussed problem and he agreed awith my diagnosis and said there was no point in him attending since he did not have the parts, he would phone it strait through for recovery. 15 mintes later RAC rang to say recovery on its way, expect 90 minutes but that was from my initial call so expect them within the hour (about 2.15). 2.45 no recovery so rang them back and they promised to investigate and update me. Rang me back to say truck on the way.

At 3.50 still no truck so rang them again. They checked the status and informed me the truck was so close I should be able to see it any second and to watch out for it..

4.15 still no truck. Rang again and was told that they had lost contact with the driver.

At about 5.00 they rang me to say the driver was on his way and would be with me shortly. at about 5.05 driver rang to ask where I was, he was 20 miles away unloading his previous breakdown.

He arrived at about 5.45 and told me he had been stuck in Skegness all afternoon recovering a car and caravan.

Arrived home at about 6.45. Tested fuel pump and it was dead.

Next day i rang the RAC Customer Services and gave them details. About a week later thay rang to say that major mistakes had been made and the level of service I had received was unaceptable. They sent me a cheque for £100, not bad when I only paid £60 for the year.

New fuel pump fitted on the car a couple of days after I broke down and car burst into life immediately. Now here is a coincidence, the car was built in 1993 and the fuel pump packed in in 2005. Fortunately it simply failed to pime on the drive so no harm done that time. So the original lated 12 years and its replacement lasted 12 years. Think I will be changing the pump in 2029. Rubbish American pumps.