Volkswagen Golf - Golf 2.0 TDI screeching sound - belt/pully wheels? - K21000

I have this sound which has been getting worse for a couple of months, most noticable on idle. It seemed to go once up to speed, but I have heard it more intermittently. Just pulling up tonight it was worse and I could smell burning. I also noticed engine idle revs went up 200rpm which has never happened before. I turned the engine off and restarted and the idle revs were back to normal. I am going to park it up and use my daughters car. It sounds like it's coming from the alternator area. Car starts ok and holds a charge. Any ideas appreciated. It's an old MK5 2.0 GT TDI. Below is a vid of the noise, but it has sounded worse!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/share/yg1pYlPXT4nsq2mDZOwtxviKE9PiOz3FdjIt363OW9X?v=grid&ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

Volkswagen Golf - Golf 2.0 TDI screeching sound - belt/pully wheels? - elekie&a/c doctor
Sounds like the alternator pulley is in trouble.not uncommon on these .These have a clutch drive pulley that eventually starts slipping after so many years.
Volkswagen Golf - Golf 2.0 TDI screeching sound - belt/pully wheels? - K21000

elekie&a/cc doctor, you were bang on. Thanks for your advice!

Volkswagen Golf - Golf 2.0 TDI screeching sound - belt/pully wheels? - Steveieb
Well done again Elecie doc. My indie was able to replace the clutch mechanism rather than the whole alternator saving me over 100 pounds.

Ask Honest John

Value my car