Ford focus mk1 - Power sterring gone - diz79

Power sterring fluid keeps leeking, at first the car made a high pithed noise I then checked and the fluid was out, added more and it leaked again. Initially it was more stiff turning right then left. Im now at the stage where theres no noise anymore I am using the car but obviously steering is stiff. There doesent seem to be a hole in the container but I wouldnt know where to look, does anyone know what the next step is and what has caused this?

Also how easy is it to change the outside door trim as well have to change driver door and looks tricky?

Thanks in advance.

Ford focus mk1 - Power sterring gone - oldroverboy.

Best to take it to a motor mechanic, as the steering fault is potentially dangerous.

Ford focus mk1 - Power sterring gone - SLO76
PAS pumps were known to fail on these (largely because owners never replace the fluid) but it is an old car so it could be rotten pipework which is quite exposed. Good news is the pumps aren't dear nor should replacing a rotten pipe. Take it to a trusted garage without hesitation, it isn't safe to use and you could be charged for driving an unroadworthy vechicle.
Ford focus mk1 - Power sterring gone - diz79

On further inspection theres a leek just below the engine possibly one of the pipes ? I cant get to the garage until Friday at the earliest and im self employed hence whilst still driving . I do need to go mechanic I agree but a leek in a pipe surely isnt as bad?

Ford focus mk1 - Power sterring gone - RobJP

On further inspection theres a leek just below the engine possibly one of the pipes ? I cant get to the garage until Friday at the earliest and im self employed hence whilst still driving . I do need to go mechanic I agree but a leek in a pipe surely isnt as bad?

Two people have advised you that the car is not safe to use.

If you continue to use the car regardless, even if for a couple of days, and have an accident and injure or kill someone, the courts will crucify you.

YOU are responsible, IN LAW, for ensuring that your car is safe to use AT ALL TIMES. No excuses, no bull, no "I'm busy", no "It's just a pipe leaking, can't be that bad".

PAS fluid is basically an oil. That oil is dripping onto the road, perfectly placed for a motorcyclist to hit, and they then skid and wind up dead.

Take your responsibilities seriously.

Ford focus mk1 - Power sterring gone - galileo

I agree with Rob's advice, unless you have muscles like the incredible hulk, if you suddenly lose all power assistance you won't be able to steer properly and will end up stranded at the roadside.

This will be more costly and inconvenient than taking it to a garage and having it repaired.

Ford focus mk1 - Power sterring gone - SLO76

Highly likely it's just a pipe that's rotten through but the leak could be coming from the pump and flowing down the pipework. It's not hugely expensive either way but don't scrimp, have the fluid changed when it's being done. The garage should do this as a matter of fact and all likeliness is that it's never been changed. Do not drive it though! Aside from driving direct to the garage by the safest route possible. The car is unroadworthy and illegal to drive. In an emergency, if a child runs out infront of you, you won't be able to react quickly enough. I can't stress this enough. Even if you have to hire a car or get a taxi to work, a few quid will be small change in comparison to ruining someone's life and your own.