Golf/Leon advice - Rog46

Hi guys im thinking to go up to a budget of 5k, as i need a bit of power I was thinking of the 1.4 TSI engines(120bhp). Whats everyones opinions on the seat leons around 09 and golf MK6. is there any issues, advice, things to watch out for.

Thanks

Edited by Avant on 12/05/2017 at 01:52

Golf/Leon advise - RobJP

If you're considering buying a Golf of that era, then I suggest you go here :

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/golf-vi-2...d

The 'what's bad' section makes for terrifying reading.

Here's the same for the Leon :

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/seat/leon-2005/?sect...d

If, after reading that lot you still want one of those, then might I suggest going and hitting your head against a wall. Probably less painful than ownership of either..

Edited by RobJP on 10/05/2017 at 23:28

Golf/Leon advise - gordonbennet

Dear Lord, i wouldn't want one of the things as a gift anyway but just clicked on that Golf link from RobJP there for a nosey, is that ridiculously long list of faults a record for HJ i wonder, way past shocking.

Golf/Leon advise - SLO76
At that money do yourself a favour and keep it simple. No turbocharged motors unless you're doing a massive mileage and/or need the pulling power for towing or diesel economy.

Honda Civic 1.8 VTEC 138bhp would be a better bet as would a Ford Focus 1.8 (123bhp) or 2.0 (142bhp) also a Mazda 3 2.0 Sport (148bhp) all of which are far more reliable than a Mk V Golf or Leon of similar vintage. A Mk VI Golf TSi will have heavy mileage to fit under that £5k budget.

Edited by SLO76 on 11/05/2017 at 00:34

Golf/Leon advise - Finguz

Looking at those two lists of common faults for the Golf and the Leon, there seem to be almost zero faults with the 2.0TSI units. This is the engine in the Cupra, Golf GTI and R.

Most faults seem to be from smaller TSI engines and diesels? Is this accurate?

Golf/Leon advise - Engineer Andy

Looking at those two lists of common faults for the Golf and the Leon, there seem to be almost zero faults with the 2.0TSI units. This is the engine in the Cupra, Golf GTI and R.

Most faults seem to be from smaller TSI engines and diesels? Is this accurate?

They do have faults - they suffered from the same chain design and manufacturing problems (why I decided not to look at a Scirocco 2.0 180, even the latest version) as the 1.4 TSi engine and any that use the same parts, such as the emergency braking sensor system. Its just that more people own 1.4TSi engined cars than 2ltr petrol ones by some considerable margin, so reports are fewer. Have a look on the internet and performance VW forums and you'll see some problems shown for this engine and the cars generally its used in. The 1.8 TSi also has had reliability issues too.